L20b engine. 72 510?

AtomChurch

Ok. I have a 1978 L20b engine and a 4 speed tranny to match. i pulled them from a 1978 datsun 510. the oil pan didn't fit so i have managed to come across a new oil pan and oil pickup. i bolted the tranny onto the engine and plopped it back into my car. but the tranny cross member doesn't fit and the engine is at a tilt. it also doesn't clear the hood.

Is there more then one style of the brackets that bolt to the block that the motor mounts bolt to? because if there were ones that were a quarter inch lower and back further , everything would fit like the 110 horse power engine belonged in the car. i know that there is a ton of L20b engine swaps out there so i know its possible and the guy i bought the 72 510 from had a L20b engine in the car.

is there something im missing? do they make new motor mount brackets ? do i have to weld my own up?

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is there more then one style of the brackets that bolt to the block that the motor mounts bolt to?

Yeah, there are MANY different brackets. Even from one L-series to another.

You need the stock 510 engine brackets and oilpan/pick-up tube for everything to fit "right".

If after doing that you still have hood clearance issues you can slot the holes in the engine bracket "up" to get the engine to sit a bit lower.

i got new brackets i bought them from a guy that said 68 through 73 all had the same brackets. i pulled my engine out and installed the new brackets. when i lowered the engine back into the bay they wouldn't fit on the motor mounts . i was given a short one and a long one, and told the long one goes on the drivers side. and the short one the passenger side. i looked at the brackets, and compared them to the old one. the long one i bought sits a little lower then the one that was on the l20 and the short one sits lower and has a different angle the the one that was on the l20. i can get it to fit in the bay if i take the short one out and put the old short one in but i still dont clear the hood. do i still have the wrong brackets?