'72 510 beater

Gary

heres my one biggrin.gif ive had it for 5 or so years now and it pretty much hasnt moved for about that long sad.gif i feel guilty leaving it there, every time i look at pics or visit it i feel bad. glad i have it, but bad that i havent done anything with it yet. it'll get there though i spose

years ago i bought it as a complete-ish project car to drive every day so i could do whatever i wanted to another car i had. i was in waaay over my head unsure.gif on the way home the front drivers side bearing collapsed and pretty much fell off sad.gif so it was towed home where it stayed for a while. i tried fixing it which worked out ok i think, then wanted R31 front calipers for some reason so i made that happen. im not sure why but i pulled the engine out of it then, i think to start stripping the chassis but that never happened

basically i was of the mind that id just do whatever i had to, but i didnt own a welder back then (at least i think i didnt), i didnt like the sound of angle grinders and didnt have much of an idea of just how long projects can take. it was kinda funny reading an old intro thread that said i wanted a full resto and wanted to keep it running on gas for a while dry.gif funny how things change heh one thing that didnt change though, is that i wanted an FJ for it

so it pretty much sat there while i bought other cars and did other projects. when i posted the intro thread here originally id thought i had time to be finally doing something with it but then i went and bought another friggin car (was a datsun though biggrin.gif)

the 510 had an L20 running on straight gas, using a CA18 inlet plenum with custom runners and a bunch of generic gas stuff including a donut tank in the spare wheel well. it ran ok, i thought it was a bit rough at the time but i was used to injection. it had a 4speed manual and hotwires, and it was painted in cheap primer. not sure why to be honest :\ maybe so previous owner could sell it. i think i ended up paying $750 for the car which was fair cheap. was missing badges (which id have removed anyway), a front indicator, the front bumper (which i kinda prefer missing biggrin.gif), but other than that it was pretty straight

27_10_06body1.jpg

27_10_06body2.jpg

27_10_06body3.jpg

also had later model bluebird seats (which werent very nice, better than the stock ones though) the interior was rough, back seat was ripped and door trims were nasty, headlining wasnt bad though

27_10_06body4.jpg

rust wise i think the sills were actually ok, ive never actually checked the rear quarters but the boot wasnt so good. the firewall had a fair lot of surface rust and most of the underbody stuff was rusty

since then, as mentioned it sat in another backyard, hasnt changed much from these pics;

03082009293.jpg

03082009295.jpg

03082009296.jpg

heh.jpg

the plan is to get another one of my cars running before i get into this, it's not likely to get any work on it until i get a shop either, which will be a while away yet, but it'll get there eventually biggrin.gif

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

thanks chaps :D

its got R31 front calipers so 13's wont fit i think :( havent tried too hard to make em fit though, i think if some of the cooling fins are ground down a touch it'll be right

it'll probs only get steelies or some cheap old school alloys, nothing fancy or big thats for sure :D

• 1 year later...

while this car wont see any work for at least another year

i got a little something for it today biggrin.gif

FJ1.jpg

makes me want to get working on it right now, but ive got another car to get running before i can do that

i got some wheelios a while ago to replace the hotwires ive got, theyve got a fairly good offset and should look nice. im fair keen to keep wheels no bigger than 16's, id love to find some rebels or some old enkeis, if i ever do ill pick em up quick

Bn_LCb0g2k_KGr_Hq_EOKis_Etk_VHKG10_BLidn

Bn_LCe3g_BGk_KGr_Hq_MOKjs_Etk06_Os_YHBLi

FJ's are tricky to find here but if you look hard enough they're around. they are getting rarer though sad.gif

sucks that you didnt get skylines sad.gif you got more 510's (and 2doors!) and pickups than we ever did though. i know what id rather wink.gif