S12 V6 struts 4 lug hubs with the Z32 caliper

Green Bastard

So here is the formula.

V6 S12 front struts

Z31 4 lug hubs and rotors

Z32 Calipers

Note: I cant remember the thickness needed. There are 26mm or 30mm available.

here is a good link for the Z32 caliper info

The V6 S12 strut will bolt to the 510 steering arm, however, the big centering bore at the bottom of the strut will not match up exactly. A spacer should be made to take up the space between the centering nub on the steering arm and the bore on the bottom of the strut.

If you just bolt it all together, you are introducing more side loads on the bolts that hold the strut to the steering arm. This could possibly result in component failure and/or loss of control of the car, injury, property damage etc...

More notes:

The Z32 caliper is a big fat sucka, designed for for 16" or better wheels. While I have seen it inside 15"'s, Don't count on it fitting.

This combo seems to widen the front track. In other words, it will stick the wheel outside the fender more so than 510 strut brake combos, and much more than 280zx. You may find that FWD wheels with higher offsets now fit your car.

Calipers that say "Nissan" on them? very :cool:

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So what spindle do I use? Z31 4 lug? Or 4 lug s12?

The spindle is a part of the strut housing. In this case it would be V6 S12 5 lug.

The hub will be from the Z31 4 lug car.

The taper on the spindle and hub bearings of many Datsun/Nissan products match up this way. Sometimes it is fun to get a bunch of parts in front of you and start trying different combinations out.

JY engineering at its finest.

Almost all Nissan struts post PL510 -> Z31 have the same inner and outer wheel bearing - meaning the hubs will work. The rest is in offset and caliper mounting.

Something to consider is even the best OEM Nissan caliper is crap compared to a good Wilwood caliper!

Dam you Steve! I already have the z32 calipers thats why I have to use them :D I do have a kit for wilwood calipers on a zx strut :D I was thinking about selling my z32's to fund the willwood conversion. The biggest problem would be mounting zx to s12 suspension, I have a s12 bump steer spacer that I could have machined to fit the zx strut. Hhhmmm so many choices. I think I would have a better chance of figuring something out if I knew what wheels I was going to run.

So the S12 5lug has the correct spindle angle? What about the S12 4lug? Also is the spindle diameter the same?

I haven't ever looked at a 4 lug S12, but I assume that it wont have the correct caliper mount for the Z32 brakes. But with fabrication, time, and skill practically anything can be made to work. I am just reporting what has worked in the past.

As far as spindle angle goes, most folks at the stage of trying to stuff big brakes in their 510, have already made their camber adjustable via heim jointed LCA's and/or camber plates.

You wont need to stop, if you cant carry any speed through a corner. Hmm. Actually that is totally wrong. If you cant carry speed through a corner, you better be able to stop before you get there.

I guess what I am trying to say is, a 510 with good handling is more fun than one with oversize brakes.

I have the s12 4 lug struts on my car. The z32 calipers don't fit :( The s12 4 lug struts also change the wheel offset. I know what you mean Green Bastard, its almost like you have to decide everything about your 510 before you build it.

so they change the offset? + or -? The teins I am using have full pillow ball, adjustable camber plates... really nice struts... I scored on this deal, SOMEHOW! I am gonna do some adjustable LCAs too, so I can put the wheels pretty much where I want them and not worry about offset... but who knows how long it will take me to get to that point... what dreams may never come...

I could use the s13 spindles if I wanted, since I use the s12 suspension. haha

Jeff,

I think you would still need to do the Kamodo mod like the rest of us. S12 front suspension shares more in common with the PL510 stuff than s13/14/15 and most other modern cars for that matter.

Here is a diagram of a S13 front suspension.

FrontSuspension.jpg

I wont say that the whole thing cannot be adapted to a PL510, but I will say that there are easier ways to get a good setup under the front of your dime.

It wouldn't be Tein/Cusco/Apexi or other jaydum hawtness. But, it would be much easier to shorten a pair of struts, put a Koni, Illumina, or AGXinside, adapt what ever brakes you want to run, and do a coilover conversion.

I thought so too Green... untill I started adding up all the parts to do a "budget" coilover setup for my 510.

from the top down...

Camber plates: $150 (the friend deal)

T3 Upper C/O spring plates: $50

KYB GR-2 Inserts: $100 (pair)

Coilover sleeves: $120 (meant for a honda or $200 for 510 GC)

Since I dont have a welder (I am certified though)...

Labor for modifying struts:$50-100

So we can say at this point on the low end we are at about $470, or for a nice setup more like $600 plus.

My teins some with all of the above, plus they are 24way adjustable, higher quality (by far), shorter stroke, and offer more lowering and adjustability for about $200 more than the budget setup. A nice side benefit is the ability to use the Tein EDFC setup which allows you to adjust the dampening from the drivers seat.

The machining is easy and cheap, I factored that into my above price, the welding too. I did not included the 280zx (or s12 5lug) since it is a common factor. When I say "budget" setup I was refering to the one I priced out above, notice that I say about $600 plus for something nicer than what I listed which I would say would include REAL GC c/o weld ons, and some Tokico illumina short strokes. I had a similar setup to the "budget" version I priced above in my last wagon and it was great... but new 510, bigger and better. You know how it is, for the difference in price I dont think I could beat the teins. I paid $500 for the front pair.

The nice part of the piece together DIY coilovers is that you can replace, repair, or rethink any portion of the setup, not so easy on a tien setup. AND the fabrication for a GC setup is MUCH easier

but i wish i had the time (or money) to do a s13 setup on all four corners. but i would rather buy all new or very slightly used (springs) stuff for as much or less than used s13 coilovers. Not to mention, i've seen how people treat s13s....ridden hard.....