sound deadening on a ratsun budget

jesusno2

So after searching for hours online I decided that I'm going to try this stuff for sound deadening my goon. It comes in a 6 inch wide x 25 foot rolls. Avaliable at lowes. I used to do quite a bit of car audio stuff and I came to the conclusion that all sound dampening stuff is basically all the same crap with a fancy name or few printed paragraghs to convince you its different. Maybe now days it might be some different compounds of some sort. This stuff costs 15 bucks per roll and I'm gonna install some today its fairly this so double layers may be needed in places like wheel wells etc. It as a faint oder but hey every 510 usually smells like gas or exhaust anyways so no big deal and it rarley gets super hot in oregon that ofter so we'll see how it holds up! http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v633/jesusno2/?action=view&current=utf-8BSU1HMDAwMjMtMjAwOTA3MjYtMTMwM.jpg

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I totally agree! We have stuff here that's called 'torch on' that looks like that but without the aluminum foil. About 1/4" thick dry tar with a removable plastic 'skin', dry to the touch, cuts with knife but I used tin snips. Cuts easily and clean leaving nothing on the snips. Easy to mold into shape and can be easily heated with a propane torch to soften even more. Can be heated more and pressed together and 'welded'.

It comes in meter wide by 10 meter long rolls for roofing. Construction sites throw tons of it away so they can use full un-joined lengths. Lots of part or end of rolls.

I always laugh at those that buy that expen$ive foil sound deadener. This stuff they throw away! http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TORCH-ON-ROOFING-FELT_W0QQitemZ300330711404QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxZ20090717?IMSfp=TL090717149002r31463

Edited by datzenmike
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v633/jesusno2/?action=view&current=utf-8BSU1HMDAwMjQtMjAwOTA3MjYtMTUzO.jpg. Well I managed to plaster my rear cargo floor the wheel tubs the rear quarters and the rear hatch is almost 100% covered with 2 rolls I will pick up 4 more rolls and that should cover all 4 doors the floors inside firewall. So for about 100 bucks I can plaster my whole 510 wagon which I'm guessing is roughly 80 sq feet?? I'm guessing I could then cover all of that with a super dense foam and it should be very quiet inside for a datsun tuna can!.

Ya me too, I like (and need lol)this idea a lot if it holds up in the heat.

Be careful with foam over the top some foams trap moisture. It should be non perforated? Not sure if that's the right term.

• Like 1

hmm, some guys had success with latex paint and some tiny bubbles, ill look for the link....10 minutes of searching through old emails...

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51399&page=9

thanks to the owner of zuki audio for the link...I have yet to try this method, on the audio sites the home depot style tar stuff doesnt get the best reviews, i guess in hot weather it smells lovely to boot...

Thats a good link I read through most of it. They actually seem to like the home depot stuff. Idk how bad it could smell you know most of the deadening sold for cars is foil lined tar too. The one for roofing seems good it specifically says holds up to heat.

The one guy said he used that then foil lined jute. I bet that works crazy well esp with carpet over but it prob holds moisture bad too. Maybe the home depot stuff with foil lined bubble film over then carpet would be good.

16937-thermal-insulation-pet-aluminum-bubble-1.jpg

Thats a good link I read through most of it. They actually seem to like the home depot stuff. Idk how bad it could smell you know most of the deadening sold for cars is foil lined tar too. The one for roofing seems good it specifically says holds up to heat.

The one guy said he used that then foil lined jute. I bet that works crazy well esp with carpet over but it prob holds moisture bad too. Maybe the home depot stuff with foil lined bubble film over then carpet would be good.

16937-thermal-insulation-pet-aluminum-bubble-1.jpg

i might have posted the wrong link, after 10 min of searching through emails from 2008, i seen the the first email with a link and click it and page nine is the one talking about the microbubbles and latex paint. I probably have another link somewhere in my emails...found the term....

elastomeric coating

google it...

I thought you had it right? they do talk about mixing the paint and bubbles etc. Personally don't like that option though, having to mix and brush on something. Idk just much rather something I can lay down better for that task.

I thought you had it right? they do talk about mixing the paint and bubbles etc. Personally don't like that option though, having to mix and brush on something. Idk just much rather something I can lay down better for that task.

youre probably right, i just glanced at it, and you mentioned the thread talking about the tar stuff, which i didnt glance at...anyways im sure both work and im in need of either....

• 3 weeks later...

Any update? I checked home depot and they have the stuff Mike was describing. I kind of want to find the foil lined. Just a little paranoid its going to get overly soft and slide or something if I try and use it upright like on doors.

• 2 months later...

ok well my car has gone through high humid heat that we get in the pacific nw its stayed stuck on just fine sitting in direct sunlight most of the day. now the weather has gotten pretty cold here. Down in the upper 30's low 40's. Guess what? the peal n seal is still stuck on like concrete. I even had to peal some off to get at a bolt i accidently covered up:o, and it was a major whore to get it pealed back! I'm pretty confident this will hold up fine, but time will tell. My next sound deadening adventure will be foaming the inside with closed cell foam. Avaliable at walmart in the form of camping pads! their 1/2 inch thick a ugly ass blue color but cheap 10 bucks a peice. i think their about 6ft long and 3ft wide.

funny ya mention that because i used to spray that at a car dealership a long time ago its called undercoating with a fancy name! honestley i would like to hear the difference and see the difference on a db meter i tried that spray on crap on my old 720 it did pretty much nothing! biggest waste of money.

I'm also using peel & seal in my dime. LOVE it.

My 510 came to me with zero interior. No panels, no ceiling foam, no floor padding -- nothing but pure bare metal. At about 30 mph, you can't hear yourself over the rumble.

I bought 3 rolls of peel & seal ($45 total) and applied strips to various large panels in the car, and the difference is SHOCKING. I can talk in the car. Highly recommended.

I don't have the entire car coated - just the large panels that oscillate the most. The peel & seal absorbs that oscillation, which reduces the rumble.

the best stuff to use for sound deadening is anything thats a rip off of dynomat. lots of places including partsexpress sell their own brand of the stuff, its a thick almost tar-like black lining thats easily cut and molded and self adhesive(especially if heat is added), and has a layer of plastic or foil over the top.

the generic stuff works as well, and is ussually alot less expensive than name brand dynomat. the stuff is very accoustically dense, and doesnt retain water or mold like foam or insulation. it is used mostly for car audio purpouses, for deadening outside noise, but ussually for enhancing the sound system in the car, and reducing the "tinny" sound and rattles.

i didnt click the link, but the material you describe sounds about the same, and will deaden sound alot more than it will actually insulate, and shouldnt be too much heavier than standard foam or insulation.

im a cheap basterd so I lined the inside of my car with a super heavy sound deadening undercoat product. it does the same thing as dynomat, but it is a hell of alot cheaper...and did i mention alot messier?

• 4 months later...

Well the cars been sitting since summer when I put it in its still stuck on everyplace I put it I cleaned the surface very well when installing which I'm sure many don't. I recomend it to anyone its cheap took me about 8 rolls to do my whole wagon. The smell is noticable when ya first take it out of the package.The smell seems to have deminished now. All sound deading stinks especially when it gets hot.

jesusno2: Any updates on your 'peel & seal' sound deadening lasting the test of time? I'm getting ready to insulate my dime and the lowes here has 'peal & seal' for $15 6"x25'. Also hows the smell after time? THX

Thats what I did. doesn't smell much if at all. Did the hole back half including hatch and side panels. It made some of a difference. you'll only need two rolls and you'll have lots left over.

how many rolls would you estimate to do a single cab 620? Im going to do ceiling, door panels, fire wall, and a whole bunch on the floors, Im probably going to use multiple layers on the loudest areas like the floor and fire wall. How much will I need.