Hood vent/scoop

HRH

If you wanted to put in a hood scoop or louvered vent, where would you put it in your hood? I have a heat register vent, and a NACA duct, or I could install spacers on the hood hinges to raise up the rear edge.

Basically, on really hot days (98 degrees today) the car runs hot and the carbs get bitchy. Looking for a way to cool engine compartment temps, while still being able to keep out snow and rain since I'm going to be driving this all over. That's why the heat register is nice, because I can close it, though it does have little holes at the edges, which would leak water onto the motor. Probably not much, but still.

The other thing is I'd rather not cut the hood if I didn't have to.

Or I could put little tiny vents in the hood with no blockoff option, just making sure they dribble on the apron and not into the air cleaners, or directly on the exhaust.

Input, suggestions?

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What purpose would it serve? I ask because there are low/high pressure spots, like the back of the hood. Which would make it a bad area for a vent but a good area for induction.

What purpose would it serve? I ask because there are low/high pressure spots, like the back of the hood. Which would make it a bad area for a vent but a good area for induction.

Exactly, and the primary purpose would be to lessen heat soak, so the rear edge/highest most point would be ideal.

Raising the back of the hood will flood the cool air inlet for the heater. You won't be able to run coolair into the cab on days when you really need it.

Find an '81-'82 720 hood. They have a louver on each side about 2/3 back and should fit yours.

29829210001_large.jpg

25588390008_large.jpg

Edited by datzenmike
Raising the back of the hood will flood the cool air inlet for the heater. You won't be able to run coolair into the cab on days when you really need it.

Find an '81-'82 720 hood. They have a louver on each side about 2/3 back.

29829210001_large.jpg

25588390008_large.jpg

i have 2 of those things sitting in a plastic bag in a giant tote. might be able to snag you up a couple HRH if you want em. can take pics for you too if you want to see them better

You know, I was thinking about those. I have them on the 720 4x4, maybe I'll check that out and then do a pull and save run. I just worry they'd look too big on a 510.

Find an '81-'82 720 hood. They have a louver on each side about 2/3 back and should fit yours.

29829210001_large.jpg

25588390008_large.jpg

What cool air? I don't turn on the fan on hot days, too much dirt/dust/and it doesn't move enough air to amount to a hill of beans. I just roll with the windows down.

My suggestion... Don't cut the hood. Remove a headlight, space the hinges... But don't cut the hood unless it's fiberglass. It'll end up looking terrible, like they always end up looking, and there's really no going back. I dunno how many times I've seen a straight hood with a jagged hole in it. Breaks my heart.

Conrad's efi wagon has one, looks good. Yello620 may know more about the install as it was his brother's car long ago.

bl100_7639.jpg

just how mines going to be, I cut the hood out around the scoop too so I can keep that nice rolled edge. Im going to cut a hole in the hood and weld it in.

keeping that rolled edge around the scoop makes it look really nice and like its ment to be there

bl100_7639.jpg

This 'scoop' is alligned for air intake NOT outlet. To let air out you would have to turn 180. These were designed for airdraft and I think the first car to have them factory was the '71 Mach 1 Mustang.

• 5 years later...