L engine tilt

ppeters914

Not sure if this should be in the Engine or Driveline tech section. Lemme know if it needs moving. Anyhows....

Now, the L and the Z trannies will bolt up, BUT, because of an 11 degree engine tilt, the swapped tranny will be leaning to one side. For example, a Z tranny on an L engine will be tilted, and have the shifter over beside the pass seat. Plus the tranny mount will need to be modified.

So what I'm saying is that the bell bolt pattern is the same but is clocked to a different angle depending if it's a Z or an L.

First, I'm assuming the L20b and 4-speed swapped into my 411 came together. Yeah, yeah, we all know what "assume" means... :rolleyes:

So, if the engine was NOT tilted, then the tranny would be leaning? And, if so, how big a problem is that regarding the engine and/or tranny?

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The engine could care less. The carb wouldn't be level which would cause problems with the float in a downdraft (would be inaccurate, but not by a lot) and would look funny.

The transmission... the rear mount wouldn't be level. The rubber insulator would either have to be wedge-shaped or it would be under an immense amount of tension, trying to straighten itself out and may fail prematurely.

And the shifter would be offset to one side.

As for your 411... it really depends on what tranny it has. NAPS-Z transmissions are relatively rare except in the longtail 5-speed variety that came in '80-83 200SXs and '81-86 720s. There was only one model that came with a shorttail NAPS-Z tranny- the '80-81 510, which aren't particularly common.

The transmission... the rear mount wouldn't be level. The rubber insulator would either have to be wedge-shaped or it would be under an immense amount of tension, trying to straighten itself out and may fail prematurely.

Crap. That would explain this:

tranny_mount.jpg

tranny_mount7.jpg

Which means I need to resolve this before the mount fails, eh? :(

And the shifter would be offset to one side.

Shifter looks straight to me, but that don't mean much.

As for your 411... it really depends on what tranny it has. NAPS-Z transmissions are relatively rare except in the longtail 5-speed variety that came in '80-83 200SXs and '81-86 720s. There was only one model that came with a shorttail NAPS-Z tranny- the '80-81 510, which aren't particularly common.

Mine is a 4-speed. Engine has W58 head w/ Cannon intake and Weber DGV 32/36 carb.

That's not a NAPS-Z tranny, it's a case of the engine being installed with too little tilt and an incompatible late-model (77-79) transmission, using a shadetree method of making the rear mount fit. The original 411 engine would have sat vertical. Basically shimming the motor mount on the driver's side to level out the intake manifold would be the fast answer.

L head = L mounts and L transmission. The block has nothing to do with it. I mean, you COULD mount the bugger dead straight, but then the carbs woul dbe pointing down at the wheelwell. The only time you'd ever want to use a NAPS-Z transmission orientation is if you're running a pure NAPS-Z engine or a KA.

Pete I think the trans mount is the last of your worries... What about the wipers!!

Actually, until it's running, the wipers don't matter squat either. Besides, that's what they invented Rain-X for. :D

What's this? Weather turns poopy and we're all bs'ing on the computer. In the good old days we'd gather somewhere and drink....

Actually, until it's running, the wipers don't matter squat either. Besides, that's what they invented Rain-X for. :D

What's this? Weather turns poopy and we're all bs'ing on the computer. In the good old days we'd gather somewhere and drink....

Rain-x requires motion about 35 so your L motor better be top notch :D

I bet you are gathering some beers :D You better heat them in the microwave to keep warm :D I heard your furnace is broke :(

Rain-x requires motion about 35 so your L motor better be top notch :D

OUCH!

I bet you are gathering some beers :D You better heat them in the microwave to keep warm :D I heard your furnace is broke :(

Not broke, but oil tank flushed & decommissioned. After last winter's oil bills, we decided to make the switch to gas. Going w/ a Rheem modulating furnace from Sundance. Like they say on the Quizno's commercials....Toasty! :cool: