521 Window felts

fisch

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think squeegees is the answer! The things at the base of the window opening that pinch the glass on both sides and stop rain from rolling down inside the doors. Sorry for the vocab mix-up. I've never had to replace this item before. But the window is rattling and the rain's a coming in!

fisch

Owwwch! $60! But they are NOS and you don't see these things every day! I would be happy with a decent pair taken out of someone's parts truck!

I will think about it though.

Scott

My squeegees are so messed up I can't tell what they looked like. Are they squeegee on the outside and felt on the inside. Or are the strips on both sides of the glass identical?

In that case is this auction enough to do both doors or one door? Sorry for the basic question, but I have never had to pay these things much mind.

Scott

i thought they were supposed to be felt on both sides. everytime i've tried to remove them at the yard i just end up screwing them up. are you supposed to remove them with the clips bending them out or straight up leaving the clips behind? i should know this for as many as i've screwed up:mad: seems like i can get them almost out and then the last clip screws with me laughing at me as i pry with my flat tip. i wonder if the 620 squeges will fit on the 521?

The outside is rubber, and the inside is felt-y rubber IIRC

$60 isn't bad at all. At least you're not dealing with a 4 door :(

I snagged them guys, thanks for the straight answers!

Fisch

Well, they do clip... to the door. The clips are welded to the metal backing plate on the felt. At least on the later ones they're welded, they COULD be loose on early ones.

Ahh ok. So hopefully I am in good shape 'sill'!

Get it... 'sill' instead of 'still'? As in 'window sill'. (...Crickets chirping...) Man it has been a long day.

Scott

• 1 month later...

Yeah, I was noticing the same thing the other day in my truck. I was sitting in it and looking at the driver's side window, and tried pushing it out... it moved. I realized that I was missing the squeegee too, and all the water was just heading down into the door panel. At least the bottom of the door doesn't seem rusted out... Would the squeeges from any of the 510 models work, or could they be trimmed to fit? How about a 720? There's got to be another vehicle out there that uses a straight squeegee that's as long or even a little longer than the ones on a 521... even if you had to drill new mounting holes, it might be worth it just to be able to use a part that's easier to find...

By the way, is there supposed to be felt on both sides of the window as well as the rubber, or is it felt on the inside, rubber on the outside? Mine has felt on both sides... just wondering if that's right or not.

And I agree with kiznook... I do love this site... I guess there's something about a ~30 year old vehicle by a company that no longer exists that just brings out the best in people... :D

• 2 months later...

Hello, Mike here in california. I'm new to this site, however I have several 521 pickups. Too intense restorations in california has the window pieces, what you can do is use jb weld and glue them to the edge of the track at the top of the door. I used a few small clips I made to hold weather stripping in place while I was waiting for the glue to dry. the pieces are cut to exact length and

alot less expensive than factory. Also you can use 240-z weather stripping for your door seal. you will also need the welting that goes around the door seal, (no glue ) these pieces are still around for less. Mike.