It's no Harley...

I got this sweet action '79 Suzuki GS1000L today. I brought it home this morning. I put a battery in it, and the starter just freewheeled, so I pulled the side cover off, and to my surprise the flywheel, was just spinning on the crankshaft. Did some internet research, found it's a common problem, so I Pulled the flywheel off, re-asseblmed the starter clutch, put it back together, and with the help of my good friend brake clean, I got the bike to fire and run for about 20 seconds, before I shut it off... It sounds like it doesn't have any major mechanical problems, Other than I need to take the carbs off, tune, and give them a good cleaning...

gs1000.jpg

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

OH no you did not say that did you?

And I would say it again. Too many douchebag owners, too many that run rough, and ride rougher.

of all the many motorcycles I have ridden/owned in the past 50 years...I really think my Harleys were/have/are the best...~

It's a good thing you like Datsuns or I'd have to start questioning your taste. ;)

And I would say it again. Too many douchebag owners, too many that run rough, and ride rougher.

It's a good thing you like Datsuns or I'd have to start questioning your taste. ;)

I will keep my comments to myself..I can feel the prejudice just oozing out.....oh well that's why we are different...I fought a war to give you the right to be who you are......peace:mad:

Harleys suck anyway...Too many douchebag owners, too many that run rough, and ride rougher.

Whether it's two wheels or four, there's plenty of jerks on both sides. I've been a Suzuki guy since high school, but still miss my Harley. About as complicated as an anvil.

Nice ride. I just picked up a 1980 gs550l in need of a good cleanup and some new carb boost, but she ran. Unfortunately, she is taking up garage space for this bad boy I picked up about a month ago.

1982 honda magna v45 dohc v4 sport cruiser wit 82hp 750cc. Adjustable front and rear suspension basically setup for sport riding. She will pull an 11 in the quarter. I got her for 300 bucks with bad o ring in between one of the carbs. Almost had it back together after redoing the carbs but I broke one of the plastic fuel tubes and have been waiting for them to come in. Should be a nice ride.

82-magnav45-01.jpg

82-magnav45-02.jpg

i want one of these

http://www.kikker5150.com/

3/4 scale bobber, build it yourself kit, street legal

i figure i like that i can build it myself, i like that i can't go too fast on it, and i like the idea of throwin it in the back of the truck drivin somewhere and havin somethin cool to putt around on.

thats pretty damn nice, the sprigner seat will save your back hehe. Would be a fun bike to cruise around town in. Definately turn some heads.

that's what i'm thinking... nothing to drive cross country on, but even if you have a short commute to work with a non-interstate path. the thing will do 55 apparently. and the frame is actually strong enough to hold a more powerful engine/tranny. you can order the whole thing from them directly minus the motor, if you wanted. my dad saw one on ebay that was a rolling frame plus a 250 cc lifan brand dual cylinder with a matching 5 spd tranny for like 2k.

I will keep my comments to myself..I can feel the prejudice just oozing out.....oh well that's why we are different...I fought a war to give you the right to be who you are......peace:mad:

All this because I don't like Harleys? :confused:

American cruiser bikes are just not my cup of tea. I don't like the rough idle or loud pipes. If I'm riding a bike it's going to be something that handles well and revs nicely. Kinda like a two-wheel Datsun if you will. :D

i'm thinking he took a slight offence to you saying something about too many douche-bag owners. there's prejudices about every hobby, be it automotive or not. there's always stereotypes too... and those don't come out of thin air. and there's always gonna be people that follow the stereotypes and people that are exceptions.

i am damn proud to be able to live in this country and be allowed to do and say the things i do and say. but i try to take into account other peoples interests and feelings .. somewhat .. and to be thankful for the people that did fight to protect the things that i love about this country.

i'm thinking he took a slight offence to you saying something about too many douche-bag owners. there's prejudices about every hobby, be it automotive or not. there's always stereotypes too... and those don't come out of thin air. and there's always gonna be people that follow the stereotypes and people that are exceptions.

Ahhh... I thought it was all about the bike. :)

Not all Harley owners are douchebags, just seems like most around here are.

and to be thankful for the people that did fight to protect the things that i love about this country.

Hey, I'm thankful for that every day.

i want one of these

http://www.kikker5150.com/

3/4 scale bobber, build it yourself kit, street legal

i figure i like that i can build it myself, i like that i can't go too fast on it, and i like the idea of throwin it in the back of the truck drivin somewhere and havin somethin cool to putt around on.

Where do you see a build it yourself kit on there? I looked but I couldnt find anything other than their pre-made setup for $1500 bucks.

City Hunter, that's a sweet Magna!

I'm unsure about the plans for this GS as of now. I'm going to pull the carbs off this Friday, and clean them up this weekend, then see how it runs. If the bike needs way too much work, I'll either sell it, or take everything out to make the engine operate, and put it in a recreational vehicle of some kind... Or a lawn mower.

Can I Just hijack this thread for about 10 seconds please.............................now then as everyone knows I am a very SENIOR memeber of this group (66 yrs young) and I need to tell each of you that I am shocked and mildly surprised and very proud of all of you...I thought that for the most part alot of you were just "party hardy" guys with some basic knowledge of cars and such...DAMN am I wrong..the depth of this discussion is overwhelming and quite informative to me...Now I KNOW why i spent that time in the Jungles of Southeast Asia back many years ago...I was protecting your right to be as intelligent as you are...................Thanks guys for restoring my faith in the generations after me.........................................Now back to our regularly scheduled programming!!!! LOL

We are all different. Keep the faith baby.

wow that bike looks exactly like my 81 honda cb650. damn i need to put that thing back together. its the longest going project on my plate. it only had 20k miles on it when it bagan to seep fuel from the head.

i have a chance to buy a yamaha dt250 1968 which is the first year they came out. runs half ass. but if the price is right i'm going to get it.