Help to I.D. an engine

ec89ax

hello everyone.. well i bought a '79 datsun 620 turbo diesel, but thee engine it has is not the original. i have no idea what engine it is, no numbers on the block or head, i've had this truck for about 3 years and it started to give me a few problems..i'll post some pics..thx

DSC00001.jpg

DSC00002.jpg

DSC00003.jpg

DSC00008.jpg

DSC00007.jpg

DSC00020-1.jpg

DSC00020.jpg

The only numbers i found. (on the block)

DSC00023.jpg

The truck

DSC00025.jpg

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks more or less like the LD28 only as a 4 cyl. motor. Ah... the LD20 68hp @ 4,800 RPMs, also came as the LD20T (turbo)

CIMG2943.JPG

A diesel 620!!! so absolutely cool!!

Edited by datzenmike

so its the LD20T series 1? the only LD20T that i've found so far is the LD20T-II

here's a video of the LD20T-II but they don't look a like.. sorry for the 20 questions..lol its because i need parts for it.. engine runs strong though:D

http://="

"]

part i need:

DSC00012.jpg

Was the truck recently bought around LOS ANgeles? I was sooo going to buy that truck. I really didn't care that it was diesel or even if the engine did not work. I wanted the engine to convert my gas L20b into a turbO L20bt!!!!

Nice truck and good luck. Maybe a L6 Maxima diesel might have the part your looking for?

i got the truck about 4 yrs i think... started to work on it about 5 months ago, the engine, even with the broken parts it ran, ran hard and strong:cool:. but since it was leaking oil, we opened up the crankshaft seal and found the problem. The truck was sitting on original black rims when we got it

on stocks and dropped:

620-T.jpg

Now:

DSC00024.jpg

DSC00019-1.jpg

It was not your truck then. Still an very clean truck! It wont need smog just because its diesel right? Forgot about that. Its a 1979 and it will need smog testing if its gas powered engine... Keep it diesel and look into the Maxima diesel engine for parts.

All right thanks guys. now time to search for parts at the junk yards and ebay lol..

If you find another ld20t anywhere I suggest you buy it lol, not just parts off it.

• 11 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Strangely for many years Chrysler Motors had the exclusive USA import agreement for 4 cylinder Nissan Diesel engines.  They were sold for city taxi conversion and even were used to upgrade and modernize imported Austin London Taxis.  If you could find a surviving Chrysler / Dodge /Ram dealer who employed a parts counter man who was over 18 you might convince him to search old parts books.

Edited by MikeRL411