What did you do to your dime today?

Mesh-71

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have noticed in the past year or so that Nissan has drastically raised the prices of these older parts that they still produce.  I suspect they are trying to quell demand so they can justify stopping production of them.  Items like the 510/240Z outside door handles have about doubled in price.

My argument would be that it is the dealers. However, having 3 with the same price raises yet another question. My argument against Nissan doing it would be that if they quell demand and still have stock on hand it would either have to be scrapped or sold for pennies on the dollar. Every time I was in front of some type of rep from Nissan, I was harping on the vintage Datsun parts and not a single one was interested. I did this from the early 2000's up to about 2-3 years ago.

29 minutes ago, KELMO said:

My argument would be that it is the dealers. However, having 3 with the same price raises yet another question. My argument against Nissan doing it would be that if they quell demand and still have stock on hand it would either have to be scrapped or sold for pennies on the dollar. Every time I was in front of some type of rep from Nissan, I was harping on the vintage Datsun parts and not a single one was interested. I did this from the early 2000's up to about 2-3 years ago.

The dealers listed on that site aren't necessarily offering that same price, the dealers local to you that participate in the program just pop up on that site when you search, then you have to select one to deal with.  This selection made not knowing if they offer a better or further discount than the price shown on the main page.  it's kind of a balky system.  I usually google the part number and get the prices typically shown by the bigger Nissan online dealers to see if it comes out in the ballpark at all.

My closest dealer to work stopped offering their discount last fall some time, so lately I have ordered parts directly from Amayama and the prices even with shipping are still cheaper than Nissan US.  

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Finally did a valve adjustment. Haven't done it in years since the mileage is low but was pretty simple or straight forward. Only # 3 cylinder intake valve lash was a little loose. 

Also adjusted the carbs and checked fuel pressure. The pressure was a little on the low side of the accepted range for the Sidedrafts at about 2.5 psi. I noticed a drop from my previous test about a year ago so concerned my pump may be slowly failing so picked up a back up pump just in case and put in my tool box. This ties into my concern of the tank having rust or debris so looking to take the tank down soon to clean out and coat and clear out any debris in the line. My fuel level guage for a while now hasn't been reading correctly so will take that time to replace the sender. I did find the inspection lid in the cargo area and jumped it to test the guage and the guage does work so tells me that the sender is failing or done.

IMG_5846.jpg

Edited by benzo