What did you do to your dime today?

Mesh-71

@KELMO the rear end height is from the kit with their one inch blocks. I am using stock dimension tokico shocks. The shackles do have holes for adjusting so can and will play with that to see changes and also switching out shocks to a shorter body shock to see how that feels. I am using 14" wheels with 195-60-14 tires. My stock leaf springs with 2 inch blocks were at the same height. The major difference was the springs are noticeably stiffer and axle wrap went away or not as bad. The differential doesn't hit or hasn't hit ever since the swap. 

Edited by benzo
  • Thanks 1
  • Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Had ordered a set of RS Watanabes back in September as a part of the 50% sale from the JCCS show from RS Watanabe and they arrived a couple days ago. About a 4 month wait. Really happy to have received them. BuyNowJapan was the broker for the sales and they handled everything pretty smooth. Good communication. Here are some pics of the wheels. I had bought a staggered set as I have plans for these wheels for a future project but going to play with them on my wagon for a bit. I ordered a pair of 14x8-6 TypeB and a pair of 14x7.5-3.5 Type A. After test fitting the 14x8 sticks out a bit. It would work but would definitely rub if you go low and would need to at minimum cut the lip or roll the inner fender lip and use a 185 tire or lower to stretch it which I didn't want to do. I liked the 14x7.5 as it was almost flush so decided to mount some NOS Bridgestone RE55S tires in 195-60-14 size and they fit pretty good. Clearance is good at the height I have using Technotoytuning leaf spring kit with 1" blocks. I could possibly go lower and will play with the shackles as those have some adjustment points but so far I like it. Hope these visuals help for other 510 and Wagon owners. Oh just a note this is just the rears. Didn't do the front as I am pretty sure the wheels would stick out or rub as since I am using ZX front struts and brakes I would need a wheel maybe not as wide or a more positive offset. Update- went for drive and the tires do rub a little if I take a semi hard turn or hit a bump on the turn. Going to try a 185-60-14 tire for some stretch and give a bit of clearance.

IMG_9195.jpg

IMG_9196.jpg

IMG_9202.jpg

IMG_9203.jpg

IMG_9239.jpg

IMG_9240.jpg

IMG_9242.jpg

IMG_9243.jpg

IMG_9244.jpg

IMG_9245.jpg

IMG_9248.jpg

IMG_9250.jpg

IMG_9251.jpg

IMG_9255.jpg

IMG_9262.jpg

IMG_9266.jpg

IMG_9262.jpg

IMG_9263.jpg

IMG_9264.jpg

IMG_9271.jpg

Edited by benzo
  • Like 5
20 hours ago, benzo said:

Had ordered a set of RS Watanabes back in September as a part of the 50% sale from the JCCS show from RS Watanabe and they arrived a couple days ago. About a 4 month wait. Really happy to have received them. BuyNowJapan was the broker for the sales and they handled everything pretty smooth. Good communication. Here are some pics of the wheels. I had bought a staggered set as I have plans for these wheels for a future project but going to play with them on my wagon for a bit. I ordered a pair of 14x8-6 TypeB and a pair of 14x7.5-3.5 Type A. After test fitting the 14x8 sticks out a bit. It would work but would definitely rub if you go low and would need to at minimum cut the lip or roll the inner fender lip and use a 185 tire or lower to stretch it which I didn't want to do. I liked the 14x7.5 as it was almost flush so decided to mount some NOS Bridgestone RE55S tires in 195-60-14 size and they fit pretty good. Clearance is good at the height I have using Technotoytuning leaf spring kit with 1" blocks. I could possibly go lower and will play with the shackles as those have some adjustment points but so far I like it. Hope these visuals help for other 510 and Wagon owners. Oh just a note this is just the rears. Didn't do the front as I am pretty sure the wheels would stick out or rub as since I am using ZX front struts and brakes I would need a wheel maybe not as wide or a more positive offset.

IMG_9195.jpg

IMG_9196.jpg

IMG_9202.jpg

IMG_9203.jpg

IMG_9239.jpg

IMG_9240.jpg

IMG_9242.jpg

IMG_9243.jpg

IMG_9244.jpg

IMG_9245.jpg

IMG_9248.jpg

IMG_9250.jpg

IMG_9251.jpg

IMG_9255.jpg

IMG_9262.jpg

IMG_9266.jpg

IMG_9262.jpg

IMG_9263.jpg

IMG_9264.jpg

IMG_9271.jpg

Nice Goon

• Like 1

I believe this is the right place and time to post what I have idea-wise and want to know if anyone else has considered what my approach would be.

First of all, it is not about money, it is about art. It is vulgar to steal from others and make a buck doing it.

write me if you find toyota 87.5 fly-cut home grown L-fit interesting

Just now, RetroRocket said:

I believe this is the right place and time to post what I have idea-wise and want to know if anyone else has considered what my approach would be.

First of all, it is not about money, it is about art. It is vulgar to steal from others and make a buck doing it.

write me if you find toyota 87.5 fly-cut home grown L-fit interesting

What I mean is: people in europe are considerate about car culture. niches are best when shared with like-minded. I don't care for greedy self-serving people. datsuns are for teaching responsible fun.

3 hours ago, iceman510 said:

Did you post or quote the correct photos or post in this?  You said nothing.  A bit cryptic in these last posts.

Very cryptic indeed.

I've got to get up in my attic to retrieve some pistons for the 1,000 word picture. And look at my notes. The state of engine assembly and configuration that edekalil is at caught my eye.

I had lost interest in ratsun and hybrid z and turbobricks decade ago or more. too many greedy non-science types. But forums do have a life of their own and it looks like the zen might be back.

• Like 1
On 1/26/2023 at 11:35 AM, benzo said:

decided to mount some NOS Bridgestone RE55S tires in 195-60-14 size and they fit pretty good.

FWIW, a lot of those high perfromance tires run a bit wider than "normal" tires of the same size. 👍

Didn't do the front as I am pretty sure the wheels would stick out or rub as since I am using ZX front struts and brakes I would need a wheel maybe not as wide or a more positive offset.

280ZX struts/brakes usually tuck the wheel in more than stock (about 1/2") allowing for a more aggressive offset. They seem to like around a +5, but the stock struts/brakes really want around a +15. 

You can also get away with a zero offset front if you dial in a little more negative camber. 

• Like 1
36 minutes ago, RetroRocket said:

Very cryptic indeed.

I've got to get up in my attic to retrieve some pistons for the 1,000 word picture. And look at my notes. The state of engine assembly and configuration that edekalil is at caught my eye.

I had lost interest in ratsun and hybrid z and turbobricks decade ago or more. too many greedy non-science types. But forums do have a life of their own and it looks like the zen might be back.

Well I hope that zen includes entertaining yourself, because asking questions that are essentially an inside joke only understood by you will not generate much usable response.  Seems a bit, perhaps I dare say, self-serving?😉

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
6 hours ago, iceman510 said:

Did you post or quote the correct photos or post in this?  You said nothing.  A bit cryptic in these last posts.

Very cryptic indeed.

I had lost interest in ratsun and hybrid z a decade ago or more. n

• Like 1
On 1/31/2023 at 11:39 AM, datsunfreak said:

FWIW, a lot of those high perfromance tires run a bit wider than "normal" tires of the same size. 👍

280ZX struts/brakes usually tuck the wheel in more than stock (about 1/2") allowing for a more aggressive offset. They seem to like around a +5, but the stock struts/brakes really want around a +15. 

You can also get away with a zero offset front if you dial in a little more negative camber. 

Thanks @datsunfreak I couldn't remember if the front would tuck more. I'll give them a try later. Been so long I forgot. As for the tires, yeah some brands run a bit wider but going to try some tires soon to get some clearance.

Picked up these Ohtsu tires in 185-60-14 to put on the Watanabe wheels for a bit of stretch for a bit of fender lip clearance and looks like they'll do as intended. I can't wait to go for a test drive. Feeling good about these tires as they were affordable at 57.00 each and free shipping. High treadwear rating, M+S rated and reviews from others remarked good performance, cornering and also noise level. I'll report back what I experience but here are some pics of what they look like mounted on 14x7.5 -3.5 Watanabes on my wagon. Running T3 leaf spring kit and 1" blocks.

Update 2/6 The tire and rim combo worked out great! Car likes and I like it. The negative offset and new tires feel really good. No rubbing and tires aren't noisy and on the highway are nice. Took it up high speeds and no issues. 

IMG_9342.jpg

IMG_9343.jpg

IMG_9351.jpg

IMG_9354.jpg

IMG_9357.jpg

IMG_9352.jpg

5553E3DD-11A8-4B53-AB7C-3F90A7B0A76F.JPG

IMG_9416.jpg

IMG_9417.jpg

Edited by benzo
  • Like 1

Got a nice two days before I go back to work. Need to get the pistons in the L20B but not in a rush just a lot of other things to do. Drinking coffee right now waking up. Drove the Goon to the coffee shop.

D1CA4D62-FF8B-4A17-AA9B-DB9148C80A2E.jpeg

Still have plans to lower her this April or so when it’s warmer. I hate the cold down here.

Edited by edekalil
  • Like 1

toyota 87.5 fly-cut home grown L-fit
I believe Mr RetroRocket is speaking of the cut in pistons that give some extra clearance between piston and valve. 

89E2B434-7459-4D99-8AEA-AB4BC8CE3F4D.jpeg

Not sure but the home grown L-fit may apply to the L20B. Maybe suggesting that I may want to fly cut my piston’s or do it to his Toyota he owns.

Edited by edekalil
  • Like 1

On Friday I lowered the back of my wagon another inch by swapping the T3 1" blocks to their 2" blocks and like the results. The car looks more aggressive and so far drives good or no issues to report. I think for me this is as far as I want to lower it as the streets and hills here are rough.  I am waiting to get some shorter body shocks to try. Here are some pics to show where it is at or reference. For all I am running the T3 leaf spring kit with their blocks,Addco sway bar and Tokico HP shocks, SSR (14x7.5 +6 195-60-14 tires) or Watanabe wheels (14x7.5-3.5 185-60-14 tires) in the rear and 280zx front strut housings/Brakes with Ground Control Coil overs and Tokico HP shocks with Bump Steer spacers. 

IMG_9205.jpg

IMG_9470.jpg

IMG_9471.jpg

IMG_9472.jpg

• Like 2