What did you do to your dime today?

Mesh-71

1 hour ago, Icehouse said:

is it the stock SR turbo?  I'm not sure I would run it that high stock.  Running past the turbo efficiency and maxing out the MAF.  Don't want to lean it out and melt down a piston.  

Agreed. I'm keeping at 11psi until I get some other upgrade bits installed. I just wanted to see what would happen.  😉

What *happened* is that my butt came up off the seat going over a hill, and it was very exciting.

• Like 1
  • Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I fitted in the roll cage, but it looks like the rear seat won't fit with it in there. So... I guess I have a rear bench seat in mostly good shape going up for sale.

Also, I have a 5-point harness installed, but it's not great with the old Sentra seats. Time to get a better seat.

• Like 2
10 hours ago, jovial_cynic said:

I fitted in the roll cage, but it looks like the rear seat won't fit with it in there. So... I guess I have a rear bench seat in mostly good shape going up for sale.

Also, I have a 5-point harness installed, but it's not great with the old Sentra seats. Time to get a better seat.

Yeah, i have a 4 door 2 seater as well with the roll bar, my 4 point Schroeth belts work well with my 86 Celica GT seats. but could always be better....

Ordered Motul 90PA for my R160 limited slip differential, split collars for my rear sway bar, picked up my rebuilt brake booster, and got my Whitline mustache bar bushings. Getting there! To the A/C shop on Monday to get the A/C hooked up and working, that's right, Air Conditioning ❄️❄️

AlomostDone.jpg 

• Like 5

Drove her.

IMG-20190401-124243.jpg

To get rid of this.

IMG-20190401-123408.jpg

It sucks when you wate way to long to long to dispose of used oil. Now all the old oil is gone, next to clean up around the blue car shell.

Then I put her back in her she shed.

Edited by edekalil

Cleaned up around the saw to move it forward to make room for a rotisserie I will have delivered in a month to put the blue Sedan shell on to begin working on. Found a bunch of parts for the blue Sedan as well as the L20B motor that will be put in her. Still have to make room for everything so I can keep track of it all. I posted some pics in the project area of the forum. Tons of more cleaning up to do in the shop to make room for the project.

Today is cold outside, where the hell is global warming? So I figured I'd look at the Goon break lights that where not working. So after looking at the sedan wiring schematic lamanent I had from way back I figured the issue had to be at the fuse box. So the fuse box was in some bad shape so I had another in need of cleaning up and did some minor cleaning up on the connections and hooked it up turned on the lights to make sure they where working, jammed the brake pedal and moved the fuses side to side and Wala break lights.

IMG-20190414-122408.jpg

Next that low or no compression on #3 cylinder.

Edited by edekalil
  • Like 1

While looking at the Goon I was also looking at the 70 sedan and look what I found.

IMG-20190414-172125.jpg

Some mouse nest from the past, the mouse had chewed the insulation off a couple of wires. It was probably there when I got the car it was kept in a barn for the 20 or so years that I used to see it before I got it.

Edited by edekalil
  • Like 1

It's been a busy few days, wife was out of town and kid was staying with my in-laws so.....

Pulled the transmission and sent it off for a rebuild since it had been making a crazy whine when engine braking.

While we have that out I'm taking out the bananas stage 4 spec clutch and aluminum fly wheel the PO had in the car and putting in a competition "white bunny" clutch kit and light steel flywheel. Hopefully that will make for a bit smoother idle and pull away without having a super grabby clutch and 9lb flywheel. I've never understood why people put race clutches designed for 600+ hp in street cars making half that. No wonder getting rolling before going to a bigger slave cyldiner was so hard and also why the PO had to install a nismo clutch fork pivot after breaking 2 previous pivots!

Since I have the transmission out I'm also going to install this datsport tranny tunnel cover to replace the "crafted" sheet metal currently there.

Also pulled my LCAs and chopped them and welded up the adjustable kit from jbcoachworks. Depending on how my next couple weeks looks I might be able to get the R&P kit in the car too. I really need it to be put back together and drivable in time for the Golden Week Kyusha Festival here in Richmond next month.

Oh yah, also swapped the brake pads out for a fresh set of Hawk HPS pads, they're replacing some wilwood street/track compounds that weren't giving me the initial bite I was looking for. Man I live doing pads on the wilwood calipers, just easy to slip them out the back of the caliper with only the one allen bolt holding the clip in place.bbrZtLW.jpgE8Sz2h8.jpg

• Like 3

Got the LCAs stripped and painted. Swapped the flywheel (note for the curious, factory sr20det flywheel bolts are 14mm 12 point bolts and are single use 125 ftlb dry stretch bolts, ARP ones are 16mm 12pt and are reusable with blue lock tight and torque lube  @ 70 ftlb). Got the throw out bearing and pilot bearing swapped; never underestimate what you can accomplish with a mallet, some grease and a drill press working as a collet press! I managed to also break my clutch alignment tool, so had to spend a few hours waiting for jb weld to cure, but got the new clutch and pressure plate in too!

Big days back to back.

Oh yeah I got the tranny back from the shop too! 6 hours bench labor to get all the bearings, seals, and synchros changed out. The input shaft has no more wobbly play in it, so here's hoping that this thing is good for another many thousands of miles and hard launches 🙂

• Like 2

Went to stuff the tranny back in yesterday and cannot get the fucking bellhousing to clear the firewall enough to get the input shaft in...QG4o6N3.jpg

After several hours of trying including pulling the damn thing, hammering on the edge of the firewall/tunnel and cleaning/regressing the input shaft this is the closest I got it

lQwc7cv.jpg

So today I guess I'm gonna have to lower the front crossmember or get engine off it's mounts to line things up. So that will probably force me to do a bunch of things I was gonna wait on doing.

1. JBC crossmember

2. R&P kit

3. Remote filter adaptor

3. Whatever else is gonna be easier without the crossmember not in the way.

p.s. being able to stick a cellphone in the Gap and take a picture certainly helps figure out wtf is going on 

Edited by drawks
1 hour ago, drawks said:

Went to stuff the tranny back in yesterday and cannot get the fucking bellhousing to clear the firewall enough to get the input shaft in...QG4o6N3.jpg

After several hours of trying including pulling the damn thing, hammering on the edge of the firewall/tunnel and cleaning/regressing the input shaft this is the closest I got it

lQwc7cv.jpg

So today I guess I'm gonna have to lower the front crossmember or get engine off it's mounts to line things up. So that will probably force me to do a bunch of things I was gonna wait on doing.

1. JBC crossmember

2. R&P kit

3. Remote filter adaptor

3. Whatever else is gonna be easier without the crossmember not in the way.

p.s. being able to stick a cellphone in the Gap and take a picture certainly helps figure out wtf is going on 

FYI, just put a block of wood in the crank pulley and Jack the front of the engine up. That will lower the back and allow you to slide the input shaft in.

• Like 1

After this oic I cranked her up and she ran out of gas. Had to walk about 5 blocks to the house to get the everyday car to get a can and gas. 

IMG_20190421_130106.jpg

Cleaned up a bunch around the blue 72 510 to make room for the rotisserie setup in about two weeks. Still have a lot to clean up.

IMG_20190421_170745.jpg

And found a little bent up bumper to replace the 70 510's bent and rusted one.

IMG_20190421_175251.jpg

I figured that would make Tanker happy and me.

Tomorrow I'll look for a set of correct bumper guards for the front bumper.

Edited by edekalil
  • Like 2

Got the tranny hooked up finally. Classic jack under the pulley wouldn't get enough room though. I ended up using a jack under the crossmember to hold it in place and when swapped the bolts out for the TC rods bolts which are the same size but about 3/4" longer. With the longer bolts tightened with just enough threads to safely hold the weight I was able to let the xmember sag down and then jack up the front to tilt the engine way free of the firewall and get the tranny hooked up. When it finally slipped into place I was majorly stoked! All in I spent probably 10+ hours trying to get this buttoned up.

Tldr: put long bolts in xmember save yourself a headache.

Edited by drawks
  • Like 2