What did you do to your dime today?

Mesh-71

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

^ Does anyone make anykind of sleeve to go around the coilover sleeve, imbetween the springs?

Mine makes lots of noise, and I can see the coil sleeve getting worn by rubbing the spring.

Thanks.

^ Does anyone make anykind of sleeve to go around the coilover sleeve, imbetween the springs?

Mine makes lots of noise, and I can see the coil sleeve getting worn by rubbing the spring.

Thanks.

Seems weird that would be making noise, the spring has the weight of the car on it and shouldn't be moving

• Like 1

Hey datsunfreak what's the benefit of wrapping the coils with hose? More of a bumpstop?

The purpose is twofold. 

1. As you surmised, if you stack the coils solid when hitting a bump they won't "bang".

2. The upper threaded portion of the coilover can rub against the spring as the car goes up and down.

Seen this happen a lot, then the upper threads get worn down, and if you wanted to raise the car it may be unsafe. It's much more common with threaded sleeves that are aluminum, though. 

FYI, the ones in the photo I posted are steel, since it's the actual shock body that's threaded top to bottom. 

• Like 2

Reference photo of said rubbing.

IMG_0965.jpg

I posed this question to an automotive engineer friend and he offered two suggestions. 

1. Eibach makes "barrel shaped" springs that are wider in the middle so they don't rub. 

2. If you know you aren't going to raise it again, cut off the bit above the collar.   ^_^

• Like 1

Reference photo of said rubbing.

IMG_0965.jpg

I posed this question to an automotive engineer friend and he offered two suggestions. 

1. Eibach makes "barrel shaped" springs that are wider in the middle so they don't rub. 

2. If you know you aren't going to raise it again, cut off the bit above the collar.    ^_^

That is exactly whats going on.  Thanks for the pic, as i have the itus.

Cutting them shorter is the best bet.  Thanks.

I think the washers I dropped down into the strut housing may have conformed to the contour of the bottom of housing, also allowing for some up & down movement.

It makes loose sounds, but everything is tight!  I just have to take it apart again :)

EDIT:   WHEN THE MANUAL RACK N PINIONS ARE IN STOCK... COUGH COUGH.

:)

• Like 1