70 wagon IRS swap project

hey ive been around forums for a whiile, but just too lazy to post anything so just lurking. Anyways, I finally began a project with my wagon. Its an olive green 70 wagon with a 77xxx miles so im pretty stoked on the interior minus the headliner. The car had sat a while outside so has plenty of surface rust in various places. Other than rust, its a one owner car that hasnt been on the road since the 80's and is pretty decent shape as far as wear and tear.

So i got the wagon back to my house a couple weeks ago plotting my attack on this thing and this is what ive come up with so far.

IMG_3766.jpg

IMG_3769.jpg

IMG_3768.jpg

started some patch work and por15'd the rockers

IMG_3780.jpg

IMG_3782.jpg

IMG_3807.jpg

As far as the IRS goes... i had a sedan that got totaled so i kept the the rear piece that was left from sawzalling the car to pieces.

IMG_3787.jpg

IMG_3805.jpg

Heres a pic during the mock up. Its starting to fit nicely!

IMG_3809.jpg

IMG_3810.jpg

IMG_3811.jpg

Today ive done the final mock up and closed the rockers back up and rust sealed the suspension mounting boxes that were accessible while the IRS pan was out.

Tomorrow I'm headed to fill another bottle for welding and hope to have this tacked up for the least so i can start filling in the rest of the wells and floor.

Edited by ]2eDeYe
Hit enter between pics
  • Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks good dude, always had thoughts of doing an IRS wagon since one of the guys over here in Australia put an S13 rear end into his wagon.

Shame you didnt get a bit more of that rear cut, but looks like it had a bit hit in the ass.

Keep the pics coming, looks good.

mini tub is kind of on the back burner until i know my wheel offset but most likely will be done.

Im hoping for no alignment issues. Its awesome how both of the cars measuring across the car from the seams of the wheel wells and all the way down the rockers are an exact fit. Even the taper of the of the wheel well seam as it nears the rocker is perfect. today i tacked everything up and it seems square as hell everywhere ive measured.

As you can probably see in the pics, the cargo area of the wagon is about 3 to 4 inches higher than the floor of the trunk area so it will need to be dropped to match which is good because thats where most of the rust is on the wagons anyways.

thanks for the replies guys. more pics on the way when i get back from idaho.:D

• 2 weeks later...

got alot done in the last week. It takes alot to get everything trimmed up and looking decent enough to weld. Its also real important not to get certain spots to contract as the rockers are getting tons of clamping and welding done. here are some updates...

Rockers are coated multiple times and finish welded.

IMG_3813.jpg

IMG_3814.jpg

IMG_3817.jpg

IMG_3819.jpg

IMG_3829.jpg

tranny tunnel on the wagon is a little taller so had to match that. floor is done too.

IMG_3816.jpg

IMG_3822.jpg

IMG_3826.jpg

TODAY i finalllly got around to the wells. The wagon wells are a little more hotdog shaped so they required a bunch of pulling and hammering to patch up but came out nice.

IMG_3832.jpg

IMG_3833.jpg

IMG_3834.jpg

Edited by ]2eDeYe
again with the enter key

Holly shit it is in. WOWOWOWOW! Please please please include more pics. I love it!

I'm I wrong in thinking that this wagon could beat non wagon 510? Why? well I think since the weight is distributed evenly? 50/50 weight distribution? COOOL! You can race it and take your kids too school. AWESOME!!!!

• 1 month later...