a Z vs. a 510

littlekeeley

I've had both 510's and z's and I've driven both very fast. My 510 with it's injected L20 (2.1l) was clocked at 135mph on PIR's front straight. My 240z has run 140mph a few times. Both were completely stable and felt like they could go faster with more power.

I see both as great cars but for long trips I want the Z because it's a GT car the 510 is great but a touch choppy on race suspension. I'm not saying the Z is better and I'm not saying the dime is better I'm saying both have strong points but neither has huge weak ones.

Side note I have owned 240-260 and 280z's and each one was slower than the previous. My 280 was a 78 and would only go 129 with a 5 speed the 260 was good for just 131 my 240 was not stock but 145-150 probably if I had a long enough straight.

My 1973 240z spec'd out like this:

L24 E3100 head

260z cam

260z intake

71 240z carbs

header and dual exhaust 2"

trans 280zx 5 speed

diff 3.54:1 R180 open diff

Suspension stock springs on KYB shocks

280z rear sway bar

wheels 15x7 turbo z 4 spoke with 205/60/15 Falkens

redline 7000

Aero = eurothane wrap round airdam and headlight covers

my 510 specs were as follows:

1971 pl510 4 door

L20b bored to fit 280zx pistons

U060 head with L7 cam

280 zx manifold cut and rewelded to fit

200sx injection hardware and computer

dogleg 5-speed

r160 suby viscus with 3.9 ratio

4 wheel disks 810 front maxima rear

1" sway bar front 3/4" rear

KYB front shock no name gas rear

full cage

5 point belts

wheels 16x7" american eagle 5 stars with 215/40/16 tires

redline 7600rpm

aero = lipped airdam kamei rear wing

Neither were any where close to stock when I posted those speeds

Edited by philip1
  • Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

well the 510 is lighter than all z cars so :fu:

it also has less power than all z-cars... :blink:

comparing the 280ZX to the 510 is like a tin can to a Maxima.

The Z"X" is so much more of a modern car its not like owning a 1970's Datsun at all. A 240Z is much better as a comparison in many ways.

510/620/240Z were similar in their noise and maintenance.

The 280ZX's that I have had were more reliable than modern Nissans. In non-turbo form that is... :lol:

If you consider crash safety, the newer the Datsun, the heavier and more protection you get. The 280ZX doors and "frame" far outdo the structural crash strength of a 240Z or 510.

I really just think its about how the Datsun looks from the outside to you. I appreciate the 510s but like the long nose of the Z. The 280ZX is a smooth daily driver with modern luxury features, but still barely has the Datsun emblem on the back.

I believe the 1979 280ZX was lighter than the 1978 280Z. After a few electronic options added, the weight likely increased more than the 280Z by a bit.

http://www.geocities.com/~z-car/specs/

280z vs 280zx is kinda a wash. But the zx got much heavier as it went along due to added features (ie t-tops).

I wonder if we can trust that source. The 280Z and 280ZX had basically the same engine design (8.3:1 compression) from 1975-80. 1981-83 was 8.8:1 compression with higher horsepower.

The 240Z and 260Z horsepower ratings were not SAE corrected.

Those hp specs are grossly wrong.

The SAE gross ratings are worthless, everyone who has seen a stock z dyno knows that :lol:. 240z making 150hp stock, riiiiight. The 280z making more then the 280zx n/a in that chart is funny too.

• 3 weeks later...

ive owned both a 510 and a 280z and i liked the 510 way better. it seemed way more nimble and fun for everyday driving. i never liked doing high speed runs on the streets so having a car that had a higher top speed but sucked in the corners seemed kind of pointless for the way i like to drive. actually i liked my 1200 better than both of those cars. it had hardly any power but was a blast to push hard around corners and take on back country roads.

i also am a little biased because of racing go-karts for years i have become accustomed to smaller lighter vehicles. hell, my daily driver now is a mk1 rabbit which is pretty much the closest thing to a go-kart you can get.

i have driven a modified (coilovers brakes and an sr20) dime up the local mountain and while it was decent going around the turns, just couldnt hang with my v8 s30, i went from going 113 average, to 84 average, thats after four runs of going up it in the dime, the only thing my z has for suspension is poly sway bar links and wheels, but the GTO still blows them both away, when it has decent tires under it.

510/Z car

Stock 510 would be what, 2,200 lb and 80hp? so almost 28lb/hp? Stock 240Z 2,400lb and 140 hp (more or less) so over 17lb/hp. This would give the Z car a definite acceleration advantage over the 510 perhaps giving in slightly to the 510's breaking? and cornering ability due to a couple of hundred less lbs. So many variables. Is this stock suspension/brakes/tires? One thing's for sure the lighter vehicle will respond better to more hp. than a heavier one. And this is the 240Z car the lightest one. Later 260/280z/zx were 200 and 400lb heavier even if they had more hp.

The 280Z is certainly geared too high. There was something really fun about my 1982 Z with the 3.9 rear, higher compression L28 and 5-speed. It wasn't really fast on the high end but had great torque and repsonse for zipping around town. Way better than a stock 280Z or 240Z.

Any Z feels way more nimble with the right aftermarket springs and sway bars. Except for the Z32 and Z33 which are pretty well made right out of the factory.

having driven almost every car discussed here (or somthing close) i would say a 510 it seems to me more practical in alot of ways it has a back seat its lighter it handles better (shorter wheelbase lighter) depends on what your going for if you just want a fun daily driver i would say a 510 hands down but an all out track car i would lean more tward a z car

• 3 months later...

the zx is way way bigger it has a bigger tranny way more power shit in it. i scraped one of each within the year both with out drive train and suspension and the zx was heavier just shell and interior and the brakes calipers rear end tranny blah blah blah ... is all heavier than in a z i personally think that every 280zx on the planet is a ugly disco car same with the first 300zx but to each his own but as far as early z vs 510 budget? if you want a fun fast car maybe do a auto cross get a early z put a zx block in it and a early head and springs suspension and tires and you are good to have some fun! i have only been beatin once on the high way and it was a lotus elise with a fat turbo haha

I've owned a 280Z and a 280ZX. Both were solid cars.

280Z: Very nimble. I've run it through the twisties and it was was very composed. Grippy, but with a little coaxing I could get the ass loose. It was a blast in moderate traffic, quite quick. I've driven it in the wet and can say that if you're complacent it can bite you in the ass-- hard. But, that said, I'd love to have another....hell, I'd love a 240Z, just to compare it to a 280Z.

280ZX: Pulled just as hard as the 280Z, been able to run it just as hard as a Z. It's very grippy, even in the wet. It's more 'civilized' than the S30. If a S30 was a young punk, the the S130 is a refined gentleman... It was dead reliable, started everytime.

I've never driven a 510 before. I'd love to, because for such a small car it looks like a load of fun. However, I think I'd love the S30 still because it felt like an extenstion of myself.

--Ruster

280zx is the ugliest thing i have ever seen they are ridiculous 80's disco cars there is not a zx on the planet that will beat a modified z around a corner not possible for the next 30 years all Nissan did was fuck up the original z. the 370 is the first step back towards a real sports car and i wouldn't buy one but it is a step in the right direction. the originals are sexy and quick and with minimal money you can have a rocket ship, as for a 510, i love my dime more than anything. if you want a fast great handling sexy car z is the way to go you can get a 510 up to those standards but for a lot more money. so its mainly a driver choice i own 5'z and two dimes currently and i love them all for there own reasons

i dont understand

Ignorant: (Adjective)

• uneducated in general; lacking knowledge or sophistication; "an ignorant man"; "nescient of contemporary literature"; "an unlearned group ...
  • uneducated in the fundamentals of a given art or branch of learning; lacking knowledge of a specific field; "she is ignorant of quantum mechanics"; "he is musically illiterate"
  • unaware because of a lack of relevant information or knowledge; "he was completely ignorant of the circumstances"; "an unknowledgeable assistant"; "his rudeness was unwitting"

implied-facepalm.jpg

Edited by Skib