a Z vs. a 510

littlekeeley

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

well the 510 is lighter than all z cars so :fu:

It's also got 1/3 less engine room which is why in high speed performance the z will always win.

You know I totally agree with you about the feel though. I particularly like that go cart feel. Makes it seem like you can do anything in it. The z def lacks that.

^^^ Read it and Weep, Man :rolleyes:

From the book Datsun 280ZX, Copyright by Nissan Motor Co., Ltd. Published in 1978, Printed in Japan. Page 18:

"Reduction in Weight

Although the overall dimensions of the 280ZX have been increased over those of the previous Z series cars, total weight has been reduced. At the same time such crucial areas as the front dash panel have been strengthened, and the unitary construction has been beefed up to virtually eliminate vibration. While the objective has been to reduce the total weight, no reductions were made which would affect the overall driveability of the car.

For example, the capacity of the gasoline tank has been increased to 80l (21 gals.). This presented problems in body weight, inertia moment, and collision safety features, but these were all solved in order to provide a car that can be driven over very considerable distances with a minimum of stops for refueling."

So,what you are saying is that the ZX with all the added features like power windows,seats,T-tops & other options plus more sheet metal combined with a bigger fuel tank & bigger bumpers actually weighs less than a 280Z?

Edited by Z-train
Yeah that's why you only need a 4-banger. Here's an interesting site:

http://www.geocities.com/~z-car/specs/

280z vs 280zx is kinda a wash. But the zx got much heavier as it went along due to added features (ie t-tops).

More internet bullshit.There was a weight difference JUST between the 240-Z models.And the 260 didn't have the heavy bumpers(like the illustration)in the U.S.

And the 260 didn't have the heavy bumpers(like the illustration)in the U.S.

"The 260Z also claimed a few improvements over the 240Z. The climate controls were more sensibly laid out and easier to work. There was additional stiffness in the chassis due to a redesign of the chassis rails which were larger and extended further back than in the 240Z. The American model also featured heavier, safer, impact-absorbing bumpers."

early 260's got the small 240 bumpers late 260's got larger 280 bumpers

They also multi-plyed the floor/chassis itself. I have cut and 1/4'd every gen s30. When you see a cross section you can better see where the weight is.

nissan spent shit loads of money to make new models better than the old ones....thats how it works in the automotive industry.......it makes no sence what so ever that thay would make the newer version worse than the old one.

i've driven s30's and s130's and i personally like the s130 better.......feels more stable and holds corners better than older Z's in my opinion

nissan spent shit loads of money to make new models better than the old ones....thats how it works in the automotive industry.......it makes no sence what so ever that thay would make the newer version worse than the old one.

i've driven s30's and s130's and i personally like the s130 better.......feels more stable and holds corners better than older Z's in my opinion

Idk about all that, I mean was the 280z better then the 240 or 260? Not in my opinion. Was the z31 better then the 280zx? I personally don't think so.

Imho every generation took the z further away from what it was designed to be, a cheap, light, simple sports car the masses could afford. America queered that right quick.

Idk about all that, I mean was the 280z better then the 240 or 260? Not in my opinion. Was the z31 better then the 280zx? I personally don't think so.

Imho every generation took the z further away from what it was designed to be, a cheap, light, simple sports car the masses could afford. America queered that right quick.

That much we can agree upon.

Obvisously you've never owned AMerican cars ftom the 60's,70's & 80's.Making them worse is what got GM to where it's at today.

I agree. When I first got my '74.0 260z, it scared the crap out of me going around corners when it was wet out. The ass end would break loose without much warning at all. The S130 was a bit more predictable and stuck much better. That is what my friend warned me about too...

That book said they started designing the S130 in 1974. Almost five years of R&D.

Back to the OP, I'd love to have a 510 too!! :D

Jeebus, you weenies don't push the 510s above 115? Shoot, mine feels fine and controlled at 120. Haven't jumped it yet with the new suspension though. Need to find a spot to do that.

510, hands down. I like short noses. That is all.

Had a 10/'70 240z. When I got it was completely stock and handled poorly. Springs, struts, sway bar, and wheel/tires made it very fun. Never did anything to the drivetrain and it didn't need it. But, I could never get it above 110. I really miss it.

My brother's late '73 had the same exact suspension upgrades but better carbs and a 5-speed. Faster but felt heavier and not as tight.

Built a 260z with a 350 (maybe 275hp?) and it was a PIG! Loved to go in a straight line but couldn't turn.

I've worked on and driven 280z's, 280zx's, and Z31's and each felt heavier, but slightly faster than the last.

I haven't driven my 510 wagon much yet (don't think it really qualifies for the argument). I've driven a couple lightly modified 510's and they are fun but not as much power as a Z. The 6's have much more low end pull. But the added weight of the Z makes that necessary.

My 1200 drives like a go cart but can't go much over 80:blink:. Hands down my favorite Datsun so far.

**Side note. I drove my Z in a mostly responsible fashion and was pulled over all the time (bright yellow) as much as 3 times in less than 2 hours. My 1200 has been my daily for over 4 years and I drive it like an idiot and have never been pulled over. Just something to keep in mind.

Like Ice said--One of each.

Edited by DRIVEN