DatsunsNW end of summer BBQ at Fort Hoskins / Marys Peak Hillclimb

Green Bastard

On SATURDAY SEPTEMBER 22nd, DatsunsNW will be hosting an end of the summer BBQ at Fort Hoskins Historic Park.

http://www.co.benton.or.us/parks/facilities/hoskins.php

Fort Hoskins offers educational interpretive displays and self-guided trails that allow users to appreciate the park's varied history, vegetation and views. The Fort Hoskins covered shelter, constructed in 2002, is where we will be. In addition to ten picnic tables and serving counter, there are two electrical outlets, a sink and electric cook top, spigot, drinking fountain and barbeques.The park and the accessible restroom is available for use from dawn to dusk.

From Fort Hoskins Park its a fun run, :eek: We will be departing at around 10 AM up to Mary's Peak.

Mary's Peak is the highest point in the coast range and provides a great panoramic view of the Willamette Valley and on a clear day from the very top you can see the coast. The lower portion of the Mary's Peak road is the site of several exciting years of the old Mary's Peak hillclimb.

Cruise up Marys Peak, then join us Back at Fort Hoskins at 1 pm as we fire up the grill.

Datsuns Northwest is providing the ribs, burgers and dogs. A donation of $5.00 per plate will be donated to charity.

Please bring a side dish, bag of chips or a dessert to share with everyone. Bring your own beverages but no alcohol please.

If you have been wanting to join up with a group of Datsun & Nissan owners, come join in this event and see what Datsuns Northwest is all about.

At least one morning caravan to Fort Hoskins will be forming, that being from

the Safeway parking lot in West Salem. It's right off Hwy 22

(Rosemont exit) and will depart around 8:30 AM heading west to Dallas

and then south following Kings Valley highway to Fort Hoskins.

If you feel like meeting us at the park, here are the directions. Remember the cruise should leave the park at 10AM and the food will start around 1PM.

Getting to Fort Hoskins:

From the north on I-5:

Take the Keizer-Salem Parkway exit to Hwy 99E.

Follow signs to Hwy 22 Dallas-Ocean Beaches west.

Take Hwy 22 to Rickreall.

Turn left onto Hwy 223 and follow it thru Dallas to Kings Valley Hwy (still 223)to Hoskins road.

Turn west and watch for signs to Fort Hoskins Park.

From the south on I-5:

Take Exit 228 to Corvallis.

Turn left on 4th Street in downtown Corvallis.

Follow Hwy 20/34 signs to Philomath and Newport.

After Philomath turn right on Hwy 223 to Kings Valley.

Fort Hoskins Signs will now direct you to the park.

More info located at http://www.datsnsnw.org

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

BBQ and Fun Run to Mary's Peak

Saturday, Sept 22 (RSVP by Sept 15)

Call Sara at 503-649-7649 or email sara@datsuns.com

Complete info: http://www.datsunsnw.org/includes/MarysPeak07.pdf

It's about the same distance as Canby, only it's west of I-5 near Corvallis, OR.

Unfortunately, I will be in Wisconsin for a memorial service.

• 2 weeks later...

I was going to head up but decided I had a lot of stuff to get done. It was likely better that I didn't because the next day I realized the noise I heard on friday wasn't a loose fender but a loose strut insert, plus I had a nail in my tire and didn't know it, and I blew a fuse and lost my tach and radio.... hmm, i'll catch the next one...

Perfect weather for a drive!!! It was a great time!! Dang those ribs were good!!!

I had some dang good ribs, too, in Chippewa Falls, WI washed down w/ Leinekugel. Next day it thundered 'n' lightning'd 'n' dumped 1-2 inches of rain. Glad we don't have dat in the Pacific NW.