Buying "New" Z

micaaltman

need help!!!, im buying a 1979ish 280zx 2+2 5spd i think its the blackcat edition. (someone told me that) its black with gold accents, anyways. im getting it for 200 bucks, so no initial investment yet, it runs has minor rust and major interior problems and no working clutch. i have a 2+2 Z automatic and someone also told me that to replace the clutch u have to pull the motor (similar to the roadster) and i was thinking if i had to do that im just going to drop a 350 chevy in it. im wondering if a clutch replacement is as hard as it is on the roadster or in which case a motor swap may be a better solution to get it back on the road and drifting.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You can drop the transmission to replace the clutch. Swapping an engine is not a bolt-in process. I don't see why you must put a whole different engine in if you remove the L28. They come out and back in the car in the same day.

You'll need an LSD for drifting. Those are very hard to find for the 280ZX. I've been looking for years...

although they can be found on occasion on eBay but there the going rate is about $750

• 2 weeks later...

well thanks. i think ill go ahead and buy it for the go fast, and im looking for a good 510 for an s15 swap for drifting ... i liked jeffs... something about "side pipe" written with like electrical tape on the side of the car speaks volumes. i also would like the joy of spanking expensive european sports cars with a $6000 tottal investment car with liabillity insurance..... what kinda power can i make outta the stock Z motor?

• 1 month later...

I recently came into an inheritance of many NOS Z car parts...all have part numbers, but Nissan can't tell me which model/year the parts go to...so alot of work to determine which models the NOS parts will go to. I think that they were mostly from a 280 ZX, year 79? Anyone needing reasonably priced parts...feel free to call to come take a look....Tana

• 3 months later...

what kind of parts are we talking about. engine, body, interior, etc. take a couple group pics and maybe we can help you figure what years and all they belong to.

Me personally. I would be interested in a set of louvers for an s30 or/and s31

exterior door handles for s30. oh man don't get me started. I love NOS parts.