rhd 521

kjz71521

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am curious what it would take to switch from left hand drive to right hand drive. Im just barely getting into building my 521. And I like the way that the rhd looks. so if anyone out there knows whats up could you please give me input on this subject ?

I say ditch that idea

RHD parts are not available here and has to come from somewhere else like Asia.

Unless you have the money to get it done

you might as well as get a complete 521 from Japan

And save that perfect LHD 521 and make it road worthy again

It has been attempted by a few guys here & i wanna say impalaguy61 has done this on his 520. The biggest hurdle is what steering box to use. I believe he used one off a Toyota but not sure what model. Kool thing is that the gauge cluster & glovebox siply swap sides with minor trimming. Even the floors are stamped for the steering shaft on the pass side. Youd still have to swap over the brake & clutch masters...kind of alot of work but worth it.

U can do full custom linkage and get it done. A buddy of mine did a custom setup on a isuzu amigo, and including the column, all chrome linkage and all that was just over 2k in parts. Just all depends on how much u wanna spend and how much work your willing to do

Dude, Don't do it!!! Those fucking RHDs are death traps. I drove an old mail jeep around for a while. Go ahead and try to pass someone when you're on the right side. It's like dring in a perpetual blind curve

I just have a thing about the way they look. This is somthing that will be sic but I think I will go with bagging it first. If anyone can tell me what I will need to get to set my s#%t on the floor let me know. I.E. control arms,brackets e.t.c.

thanks

On a 521 its all gonna be custom made control arm wise. Pre made 4 links can be bought online along with bag brackets, fittings etc... That being said custom arms arent needed to lay out all the way.

i did mine,the conversion is not super simple,but definatly easier than most cars,mostly due to the dash, the box and cluster are the same size, so a little trimming and welding a couple mounting tabs, drill a hole for the ignition switch and its done

oldCOMPpics076.jpg

i used a 87 toyota gear box,tap a couple holes in it,and it bolts right up,had to weld the toyota splines to the datsun pitman arm,everything else was just flipped around, the idler arm box fit,just drilled/tapped 2 holes for it and it was done, also the firewall already has the stamps for the cylinders and steering columb, the entire assembly unbolts and moves over,theres a little fab work for the mounting,but nothing too involved by anymeans, the gas peadel is seperate and will need a bracket,mine had wheel tubs that it mounted to very easily,lastly there a little work that needs to be done for the steering columb,mine has 2 ujoints(for the body drop),also pretty strait foward,heres a couple pics that i had on my thread,if u need something specific then lmk and i will see what i can come up with

NEW4.jpg

NEW15.jpg

Dude, Don't do it!!! Those fucking RHDs are death traps. I drove an old mail jeep around for a while. Go ahead and try to pass someone when you're on the right side. It's like dring in a perpetual blind curve

i dont think ill be passing anyone in this truck,67horsepower@5200rpm:lol:

• 2 weeks later...

I have a RHD Datto, and I must say it's no more difficult to drive than a LHD car. The ONE and ONLY time I have run into anything that is just SLIGHTLY more difficcult is turning left from an unprotected light when there is another car across the intersection that is also turning left. It harder to see oncoming traffic, so it requires a little more patience.

In any of my LHD cars, I don't pull out into traffic or change lanes without physically looking over my shoulder, so pulling away from a curb or changing lanes is NO different than any other car I drive.

I can also say that I have never heard of anyone dying due to driving a RHD car here in the US..

Like any driving situation, you just have to be aware and drive carefully.

true, when I lived in japan I got used to rhd, came home kept trying to get into tha pass side of my 70 521, I started carrying a back pack so I wouldn't look like an idiot every time I tried to get into the wrong side, lol, just toss the bag in and walk around. It's just different, once you get used to it, it's okay. Use common sense and it's easy.

• 5 years later...

old thread but I am starting a 71 conversion today, that droparm welding idea seems like a disaster waiting to happen! Any other ideas welcome.

You have to have something over there that you can transfer, a rack and pinion from something maybe?

You can always use 2 idler arms and have a custom centerlink made with a tierod connection on the left side, then put a steering gear forward of the idler arm and then use the stock centerlink to make the connection like I did when I converted to power steering on my 521.

Custom centerlink

100_0154.JPG

Connection to custom centerlink

DSCN0629.JPG

720 power steering gear mounted on outside of frame rail

100_0155.JPG

Not a lot of idler arm clearance, but it does clear

DSCN1218.JPG

I was told by someone to use a ZX power steering gear to convert to RHD.

Your going to have to find someone over there or in Australia that has a 520/521 RHD wiper system assembly, you might be looking for a while though.

• 2 months later...