Z'd LCA's for 2" drop on kingpin trucks, mklotz70

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Mike,

I looked over the bushings. These are going to be the "cat's whiskers".

I'm still waiting for the glacier to recede enough to get Oil Drop out. I have a massive snow/ice pile still waiting for Mother Nature to due her stuff on.

I keep hearing birds, but there are no other signs of Spring here in New Hampshire.

Its just brown grass (where it isn't snow covered) and barren trees.

• Like 2

Got it. Thanks.

By the way, if you go to your first post, you can change the title something like "Z'd LCAs for Trucks".

Thanks for coming back and adding the edit Dave!  I hadn't even thought about doing that and the question has come up more than once.  It should be pretty clear now :)

• Like 1

Mike,

I looked over the bushings. These are going to be the "cat's whiskers".

I'm still waiting for the glacier to recede enough to get Oil Drop out. I have a massive snow/ice pile still waiting for Mother Nature to due her stuff on.

I keep hearing birds, but there are no other signs of Spring here in New Hampshire.

Its just brown grass (where it isn't snow covered) and barren trees.

Awesome! Thanks Dave! 

I'll be looking for a couple of people with daily drivers to install them right away for more feedback. 

I'm trying to figure out if there's a way I can add some channels to hold more grease.  I'll send the prototypes out "as-is" to see how long they'll go without squeaking.

Super mild winter over here......thanks for takin' the hit for us! :)

• Like 1

Awesome! Thanks Dave! 

I'll be looking for a couple of people with daily drivers to install them right away for more feedback. 

I'm trying to figure out if there's a way I can add some channels to hold more grease.  I'll send the prototypes out "as-is" to see how long they'll go without squeaking.

Super mild winter over here......thanks for takin' the hit for us! :)

so glad to hear you are still working on these. i'd be interested in them when your done! Keep up the awesome fab work!

• Like 1
  • 9 months later...

I've never really looked into it.  Dropped spindles are cheaper/easier.  If you have bolt on ball joints, you can just make a 2" spacer to go between the ball joint and the arm.  I think Wayno has Z'd his ball joint arms before.  He's done a couple.....I just don't remember if they were both for kingpins or not.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm actually out of gussets right now, but interest is gaining with a couple of guys wanting to have them done.  I will most likely be having more made in the next month or so.

I've actually been collecting some core sets of arms.  I'll probably charge about $150/pair for them.....then refund it when a good set of stock ones is returned to replace them.  If none are returned, I just keep the core charge. :)

• Like 1

I started collecting cores since they're getting hard to find.  That way guys can order them, install them, then return the ones they remove.....instead of trying to find an extra set.  The core charge is high enough to make it worth returning the stock ones to me.  I'm already tired of doing them, so by the time I run out, I'll probably stop doing them.....time will tell.

• Like 2

I've never really looked into it.  Dropped spindles are cheaper/easier.  If you have bolt on ball joints, you can just make a 2" spacer to go between the ball joint and the arm.  I think Wayno has Z'd his ball joint arms before.  He's done a couple.....I just don't remember if they were both for kingpins or not.

I used 720 ball joint lower control arms to make my drop arms because I wanted to be able to use stock 521/620 14 inch rims, and I made two sets, the first set the tire was hitting the outer fenders even after they had been rolled, so I made another set of lower arms 3/4 of an inch shorter for clearance, as I have a 1966 Datsun 520 cab sitting on a much wider 1986 Nissan 720 frame, it would have been fine with the first set I made if it wasn't so low, but it is low.

If I ever decided to do a ball joint conversion to a kingpin frame ever again, I would shorten the lower control arms instead of lengthening the upper control arm, I think for me it would be easier, and basically that is what Mike is doing when one looks at the big picture, but he is putting together a complete package that one just bolts on, while I have to source all the different parts to make it work, and when Mike sells something it works, while the way I do it I have to work out all the bugs.

• Like 3
  • 2 months later...

havn't got around to fitting my set yet. still on the hunt for bushes and star pins. will also be waiting till i have the funds to fit a coilover setup under the old girl. :) slowly but surly. driveline pretty much complete and running. exhaust is coming up in the next couple weeks lots done lots more to go dats life :)

12901033_1368146819877795_19387267344447

• Like 1