• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, datsunfreak said:

For what it's worth, a small block Ford and a T-5 are a much better fit... 

I’m assuming you’re saying this because of distributor placement... my LS G35 just got totaled out so I have been toying with the idea of moving the setup over(6.0/CD009 combo) 

2 hours ago, toadx8u said:

I’m assuming you’re saying this because of distributor placement... 

Actually, I was not. That does help, but I was saying due to size and weight. A Ford 302 is dimensionally smaller than a small block Chevy, and considerably lighter weight. And even though a T-5 is portly, it can be squeezed into most Datsuns. It's really not any bigger than a KA/SR trans. 

Now when it comes to an LS, if you can get the accessories, brackets, and water pump from a late model Impala SS (FWD 5.3 LS), it helps a ton with packaging dimensions. That would make it a much more ideal swap.

I'd still go Ford, but I know a lot of people feel that because they already have it, is a good reason to do it.  😁

1 hour ago, datsunfreak said:

Actually, I was not. That does help, but I was saying due to size and weight. A Ford 302 is dimensionally smaller than a small block Chevy, and considerably lighter weight. And even though a T-5 is portly, it can be squeezed into most Datsuns. It's really not any bigger than a KA/SR trans. 

Now when it comes to an LS, if you can get the accessories, brackets, and water pump from a late model Impala SS (FWD 5.3 LS), it helps a ton with packaging dimensions. That would make it a much more ideal swap.

I'd still go Ford, but I know a lot of people feel that because they already have it, is a good reason to do it.  😁

Exactly, I've got a pic somewhere of a B210 I found in a junkyard with a 302 without any major engine bay mods (aside from engine mounts). 

• 2 years later...

Looking to connect with other 710 wagon owners. Just picked this one up, and in the process of making it road worthy. Car is relatively complete except for interior soft trim. Paperwork I got with the car indicates it had been stolen once and eventually returned to it's owner in Riverside, CA. Car eventually ended up in Ash Fork, AZ and then Gilbert, AZ, where I bought it. Car has 67,000 original miles, original paint, and all the original emissions equipment and AC components. I slapped these wheels and tires on it that I had in my storage unit. 

IMG_9117.jpg

IMG_9118.jpg

IMG_9116.jpg

IMG_9119.jpg

IMG_9120.jpg

IMG_9081.jpg

• Like 2
  • 8 months later...
  • 3 months later...

This is my '74 710 goon.  I bought it from the original owner for $1!  It's been sitting in a field since the mid 1980's.  

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1j8rkV7Ue-mYWrRWy3arcoBLbA0Vixi4z/view?usp=sharing

First thing I had to buy was tires.  It was missing a wheel, and the other 3 had rotted off.  I found a nice set of mags from a 240z with good rubber.  Mouse nests everywhere inside...had to gut the interior just to get the smell out.  The engine is stuck, probably from sitting outside for so long.   I haven't decided if I'm going to try to rebuild the L18 or try to find a newer one.  It will probably depend upon what I find when I open it up.  I'm optimistic though...I pulled the valve cover an there's no sludge, the cam has no significant wear.   I want to put the car back mostly stock with some upgraded seats and better radio, maybe some improvements to the engine, but nothing too crazy.  

I'll post updates as progress is made.

• 2 weeks later...