710's unite!!!!!!!!

Guest jaimesix

I just can't believe I'm going to say this but... it needs lowering a bit. Hummmm ... that weren't so bad. I see you have those tapered front marker lights. Did all wagons not have the matching red ones at the back? Also the 'bumpers' look way better blacked out like that... may do that myself.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I just can't believe I'm going to say this but...

HaHa Ha ha ha ....... ... welcome to the dark side ..... :lol:

I was very dissapointed at how the rear suspension on my 710 goon is never going to be low enough......

I put 300lbs in the back,,, .. and the axle was 1" from the bumpstops and I still had a 3-4" wheel gap

I have given up on trying to lower my 710.......... it feels SO good with the "soft" stock suspension and 13" wheels

It was dragging the exaust with the coilovers,,, ... and was too stiff for a wagon with #225 front springs

I just can't believe I'm going to say this,,, but don't lower it........ maybe 1-2", but no more..... any more than a 2" lowering block will require cutting the drive-shaft tunnel...... and your front wheels will rub if you lower it more than 1-2 inches.

• 2 weeks later...

HaHa Ha ha ha ....... ... welcome to the dark side ..... laugh.gif

I was very dissapointed at how the rear suspension on my 710 goon is never going to be low enough......

I put 300lbs in the back,,, .. and the axle was 1" from the bumpstops and I still had a 3-4" wheel gap

I have given up on trying to lower my 710.......... it feels SO good with the "soft" stock suspension and 13" wheels

It was dragging the exaust with the coilovers,,, ... and was too stiff for a wagon with #225 front springs

I just can't believe I'm going to say this,,, but don't lower it........ maybe 1-2", but no more..... any more than a 2" lowering block will require cutting the drive-shaft tunnel...... and your front wheels will rub if you lower it more than 1-2 inches.

Don't lower it? Really? You see I raised it so I can try and go for the off road look, but the springs ended up being too high, and since I put the 5 spd in there out of a 280Z I had to cut the driveshaft anyways. My front wheels are 15 inch and they rub, even with 195/50/15's. I'm still unsure as to what performance parts to start buying for it, all I know is that I want to keep it as my daily driver but with a little extra. What would you suggest for lowering the front?

I put my shortened 510 struts with coilovers on my 710 wagon...... with 16x7 +22mm panasports and 195/40/16 tires

It was WAY too low,,,, the exaust was dragging on the ground and the wheels were rubbing on the fenders with the coilovers raised up all the way.

Here is a pic of the coilovers raised all the way:

71051023.JPG

AND a pic of the coilvers lowered most of the way....... my oil pan is 3/4" off the ground in this pic:

710326.JPG

I think 280zx struts will widen the front too much.... your better off with 510 struts so you can keep a lower offset wheel........ my 510 struts were shortened ~2 inches and the #225 springs were too stiff for a 710 wagon.......... or you could put coilovers on your 710 struts

I reccomend a #200 spring, but depending on how low you want to go I don't think your front wheels will fit.

For a cheaper solution you could probably find some stiffer "non-adjustable" springs and lower the front 1-2 inches

and since I put the 5 spd in there out of a 280Z I had to cut the driveshaft anyways.

I was talking about cutting the driveshaft tunnel,,,, most 510 wagons with 3" lowering blocks in the rear have "axle slap"...... and need to cut a small piece under the rear seat to stop the driveshaft from hitting the body....

That is why I want to keep my stock suspension and 13" wheels...... and it is nice to go over speed bumps again

If you look in the "GOONS check in" thread there is some great info on lowering 510 wagons

• Like 1

I think 280zx struts will widen the front too much....

280ZX struts on a 10-series car actually narrow the front track by 3/4" on each side. Thats almost the 22mm you have for the wheels...

Feeling pretty embarrassed right now. I took my 710 to Carb Connection outside Redmond Saturday hoping to figure out the rough idling issues that have been with the car since I bought her nearly a year ago. I’m running just about everything stock except for the AC motor which had been disconnected by the previous owner (never felt a need to hook it back up again.) Well, to cut to the chase, out of what is it, 120 horsepower? I registered a rough 64.37 hp on the 3-speed auto during the dyno test. I always thought the car ran a little rough, but just thought the 710 was just a mule, performance wise. I thought my car was running all it could give, I was so wrong! :sweat: Anyway, turns out one of the intake barrels isn’t cutting in until I drop the car into high revving 1st gear up a hill. Presumably due to the vacuum that builds up in the chamber that blows the barrel into a working status. I’m getting the 710 checked out today after school, and hopefully I’ll have a difference of night and day when the carb connection guys properly rebuild and re-tune it! Besides this little snag, the car still runs great!

Feeling pretty embarrassed right now. I took my 710 to Carb Connection outside Redmond Saturday hoping to figure out the rough idling issues that have been with the car since I bought her nearly a year ago. I’m running just about everything stock except for the AC motor which had been disconnected by the previous owner (never felt a need to hook it back up again.) Well, to cut to the chase, out of what is it, 120 horsepower? I registered a rough 64.37 hp on the 3-speed auto during the dyno test. I always thought the car ran a little rough, but just thought the 710 was just a mule, performance wise. I thought my car was running all it could give, I was so wrong! :sweat: Anyway, turns out one of the intake barrels isn’t cutting in until I drop the car into high revving 1st gear up a hill. Presumably due to the vacuum that builds up in the chamber that blows the barrel into a working status. I’m getting the 710 checked out today after school, and hopefully I’ll have a difference of night and day when the carb connection guys properly rebuild and re-tune it! Besides this little snag, the car still runs great!

well first things firstthe 120 hp number is way out there for a stock car you will be lucky to get 70 stock at the wheels as for the carb if its the stock hitachi take it off and throw it in the garbage and go with a weber 32/36 you wont regret it

well first things firstthe 120 hp number is way out there for a stock car you will be lucky to get 70 stock at the wheels as for the carb if its the stock hitachi take it off and throw it in the garbage and go with a weber 32/36 you wont regret it

Well, I took it back to Carb Connections. They completely rebuild and tuned the hitatchi back up beyond it stock specifications. They skimmed the intake manifold flat before replacing all of the seals, which should prevent any future leaks in the system. I'm currently running 96 at the wheels on the dyno and the difference is as though I'm driving a whole other car. I've got some lower ball joints to replace (will do on Sunday), but besides that the car runs and sounds like a dream!

A stock L20B is good for 105 at the crank depending on model and year. With drive line losses which account for about 17% this would be barely 90 RWHP. And only on a good day. Add in alternator, water pump, cooling fan and drive belts, realistically, 90 hp at the rear wheels is within dynamometer error.

• 1 month later...

i have a sub and amp already, decent size but not huge. I dont want them in until i can hide them a little. some window tinting or something. I saw someone here just made a box for the speakers and put it on the kick panels. something custom like that may work i dont know. heres a pic of the dash.

13441_191000221583_612421583_3959880_8277733_n.jpg

i took it in for a quote he said he wasnt sure the deck would fit where the stereo is now but i didnt tell him theres a speaker behind it too, he said there might not be enough room for the wiring. i could mount it under the glove box....

yea i thought about that too, people wouldnt see it and want to steal it that way. problem is my deck is kinda old. i bought it a while ago its a nice alpine but no remote...

this is jessi, kelly came home so he took over :blink: im not going to bother switching names

I took apart my 710 dash......... .. it is a pain to get the stereo out......... .. and even harder to get the guages out.

It looks like a modern deck will fit....... ... I would just throw away the stock "in dash" speaker......... the speaker wires are directly behind the stereo........ and with your center console it will be hard to get to the wires.

I plan to put a stereo in the glovebox........ because the stock 710 dash is so classy

• Like 1

I also don't want to cut my 710 dash........ .. . it was already taken apart, so I took some pics:

A modern deck will fit........ the stock speaker in the dash is the only obstacle:

858585.JPG

8585851.JPG

8585852.JPG

8585853.JPG

Plenty of room for a modern deck,,,, ,, it is just a pain to get at all the wires without taking apart the whole dash...

I am going for the super sleeper look....

I scored this radio from atom at the Sac swap meet: ........ thanks dude,,,,, ,, it cleaned up good:

8585854.JPG

8585857.JPG

I will probably mount a stereo in the glovebox........ but under the driver seat would be easier to change the volume

• Like 1

this should be a 710 2 door

I skated with this guy in HS and hes had it since we where like 15, and its been sitting right there since.

IMG_0162.jpg

I always ask him whats up with the datsun when I run into him, and tryed to buy it once or twice :rofl:

this should be a 710 2 door

I skated with this guy in HS and hes had it since we where like 15, and its been sitting right there since.

IMG_0162.jpg

I always ask him whats up with the datsun when I run into him, and tryed to buy it once or twice :rofl:

:o get it skib go now and dont come back till its yours :D