Jay's 72 S30

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Jay ,

What's the vehicle on it's side in your signature line ? Did yer neighbor get annoying and you and your buddy "flipped" their car and are rubbing it in with a picture ? LOL ! (joking ;) ) ( Guessing a sweet parts car ?) Dash work looks PRO Like , hhhmmmmmmm Jay's Skills = New Business Specialization Opportunity ? This link below pretty much sums me up compared to this project ! hahaha ! (you'll know which part when ya see it :lol: )

Thats one of 3 810 diesels I parted out this past summer. Sold the stroker cranks but kept the 2nd gen r180 and cvs for myself. They are the ones I rebuild. The car had snake skins all over the place and as we started taking the engine out we saw one, two three etc snakes run away lol. I said F it I'm not getting under there to take that dif out so we just flipped it over instead. Made things much easier. :lol:

As I was removing the cvs a actual poisonous snake popped out and ran off. Was really glad I decided to flip it.

I repopulated the dash today, was kind of a pita. So glad I took pics while I disassembled but some stuff like the lighter and clock didn't feel like going back lol. While The Italian in me was throwing things and flipping a shit a tiny whole magically appeared right in the top of the dash :-(. It's only the size of the tip of a sharpie so I filled it dead even with silicone, Tom ill just dab some glue with a Q-tip and drop some flock on it. Hopefully it will be as close to seamless as possible.

I think it looks damn fine, can't wait to get it back in the car.

moardash003.jpg

Rat bastard

moardash005.jpg

Also I don't have a dash box, think I sold it. Don't feel like buying one, anyone ever make one themselves? It's just non corrugated cardboard and staples, can't be that hard.

• Like 1

Thats one of 3 810 diesels I parted out this past summer. Sold the stroker cranks but kept the 2nd gen r180 and cvs for myself. They are the ones I rebuild. The car had snake skins all over the place and as we started taking the engine out we saw one, two three etc snakes run away lol. I said F it I'm not getting under there to take that dif out so we just flipped it over instead. Made things much easier. :lol:

As I was removing the cvs a actual poisonous snake popped out and ran off. Was really glad I decided to flip it.

:blink: Snakes = I can't tell the difference so they all die upon contact :rofl: 2 things I can't stand , Snakes and Clowns !!! ( I don't know why clowns just creep me out big time :ninja: ) MAN ! I've been trying to find an 810 to just play with it ! lol ! sounds like they are part a plenty or you have a secret your not sharing :rofl: very respectable ! ( I've flipped some parts , but than I start finding batches I really like , so must keep them ! :w00t:

I'm using my currently useless glovebox to mount my ecu since it's easy access, but if you need the space for something, I'd just make like a poasterboard template and cut it out in sheet metal. If you don't have a break, you can find someone local that does siding and probably get it bent for like 5 bucks. Then you'd have a handy sheetmetal box that can hold more than 3 ounces of stuff before a staple pulls through.

• Like 1

:blink: Snakes = I can't tell the difference so they all die upon contact :rofl: 2 things I can't stand , Snakes and Clowns !!! ( I don't know why clowns just creep me out big time :ninja: ) MAN ! I've been trying to find an 810 to just play with it ! lol ! sounds like they are part a plenty or you have a secret your not sharing :rofl: very respectable ! ( I've flipped some parts , but than I start finding batches I really like , so must keep them ! :w00t:

Haha, ya understandable, I'm one of those don't kill things unless you HAVE to people so I just let them do their thing.

They actually only have a few parts worth getting at. This guy had 3 just sitting rusted out, I couldn't pass it up.

I'm using my currently useless glovebox to mount my ecu since it's easy access, but if you need the space for something, I'd just make like a poasterboard template and cut it out in sheet metal. If you don't have a break, you can find someone local that does siding and probably get it bent for like 5 bucks. Then you'd have a handy sheetmetal box that can hold more than 3 ounces of stuff before a staple pulls through.

Ya I was thinking of partitioning the area in half so I could use half for the ecu and w/e other accessible electronics covered by a removable lexan cover and then a like half size glove box just for my reg and what not. Idk I'll have to figure it out after the ecu is in place and what not.

Valid point about the material, I might as well just use thin gauge steel and rivets or something. Never felt comfortable with the paper glove box anyway.

Ya I was thinking of partitioning the area in half so I could use half for the ecu and w/e other accessible electronics covered by a removable lexan cover and then a like half size glove box just for my reg and what not. Idk I'll have to figure it out after the ecu is in place and what not.

Valid point about the material, I might as well just use thin gauge steel and rivets or something. Never felt comfortable with the paper glove box anyway.

Sheet Metal only makes sense , hell you could probably just go get a piece of galvanized air ducting ( scrap or not ) at Ho-Depot pre-formed mostly ? ( possible a bit expensive ) I guess craigslist would be a better bet for "free" metal types ! Does your ECU need air circulation for cooling ? ( maybe a steel/aluminum mesh for certain parts ??? IDK honestly , but your car is probably sealed just fine now ( mine leaks onto the dash passenger side just above the glove box ) ? hhhhhmmmmmm IDK ? ( If you work with aluminum google keywords "alumaweld" or lookup "durafix" in youtube ! cool stuff ( some "less experienced" users though ! ) :rofl:

BTW Dash Looks Absolutely Killer ! Give her a slap for me ! lol !

Galv from ducting is not a bad idea either. I'll take a look around and see what I can do. It's a regular z32 ecu so I don't think it needs any cooling at all. I made damn sure the car would be sealed better then stock, s30 have a notorious fume problem that can be solved with further sealing.

My friend linked me to a alumaweld vid not too long ago, I was impressed with how easy it is. Idk anything about Alumaweld though.

Galv from ducting is not a bad idea either. I'll take a look around and see what I can do. It's a regular z32 ecu so I don't think it needs any cooling at all. I made damn sure the car would be sealed better then stock, s30 have a notorious fume problem that can be solved with further sealing.

My friend linked me to a alumaweld vid not too long ago, I was impressed with how easy it is. Idk anything about Alumaweld though.

Alumaweld , was going to buy some ( then wen't broke this week ! lol ) I am curious by their claim to being stronger than the parent metal ! IDK for sure at all ? Time will tell !

Dude, I'm probably coming in a bit late on this one, but that dash and console look AWESOME. :thumbup:

Do you have a write-up on how to do this?

Just went back and read your entire build from page one. Wow man, you're rippin' through this thing. I'm assuming that you started around the time of your first post.. maybe not? If so, yeah, you're truckin' at a pretty good pace. I'm snail status on my build. Keep it up man, I'm inspired!

Better late then never Micro lol. Thank you

I think whats been posted is as good as it gets as far as a write up. It was a pita and there is a def learning curve, would be prety involved to do a full write up on it.

I actually own this car for like 3 years now, the project stalled out for a little over a year. Didn't really get seriously back to work until about 6 months ago. Because I came tot he conclusion hat if I'm not driving this car by this summer it's getting sold. So tired of seeing this poor thing sitting holding the pavement down. Thats why I have been hitting it as hard as I can lately.

I'm fighting a nose and throat thing at the moment so things are slow going. Yesterday I redid the entire center consol because the sides looks a bit blotchy, again learning curve lol. Reapplying glue to something flocked SUCKS!. It came out good though and today I got the trim back on. The interior is actually looking too nice for my car lol, it's a mismatch. :lol:

Classy

centerconsole012.jpg

That I know of I don't have a fuse cover. I'll either have to make one or buy a cracked one and fix it because I'm not paying what a good one goes for.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I got the dash back in after a lot of wrestling with the steering wheel column bolts, what a pita. Also popped on the momo and stock wheels for a comparison. I'm a little torn on what to use, or even if to sell both and get a stock style wood nardi. The momo is nice but its a little modern looking and small (imho) although both are fairly big by modern standards. I'm worried with the welded rear and no PS and a 380mm wheel my arms are going to be popeyed out lmao. I think I like the wood more, it's classy and matches the rat style I got going on, esp in red.

Please chime in with what you guys think.

MOMO aprox 380mm

dashin002.jpg

Stock aprox 400mm

stockwheel003.jpg

You know, being a fan of the Ol Skool, I am surprised I am not voting for the wood wheel. But of the two I'd have to go with the Momo. The Z is such a futuristic design, even today, and with the black dash and the more modern seats you are going to put in, I think it could sport the Mo.

I'd like to see a Nardi option though!