cheap L-series wanted

I think I want to build a turbo or supercharged L-series engines, just for fun. The engine in my 510 is running nearly 9.9:1 CR, which is a little too high for a turbo; I'll need another L-series and start from scratch.

Anybody got any cheap L-series engines sitting around?

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a L motor for cheap though :D I do agree with slodat forced induction = big bucks. Well megasquirt helps but its only a 12x12 map... :D I will trade you the motor for some parts... I got a list of 720 truck parts and a few other bits I need.

I have a L motor for cheap though :D I do agree with slodat forced induction = big bucks. Well megasquirt helps but its only a 12x12 map... :D I will trade you the motor for some parts... I got a list of 720 truck parts and a few other bits I need.

I thought I had a radiator for you, but it's all torn up. Not sure what happened to it, but it *might* have something to do with me rushing the engine out of it. Oops.

What other parts do you need? Do you want to take the whole thing from me?

even at 7#, you should run an intercooler. the detonation will put a hole in a piston in a second.

I am only saying this because I have a turbo manifold sitting on an L20b that is going into my 510. I've been doing a lot of research, and the engine has a lot better chance of surviving if the intake charge is cooled. When you compress air, the temp goes up. Add to all of this, to do it right, you need to convert to EFI.

Not at all racing. I seriously doubt my car will ever be raced anywhere. Racing has nothing to do with the ideal gas law - compress the air and temp goes up.

I don't plan to run it hot all the time; it's a street car.

Who plans on running their car hot? Heat is the enemy!

yes yes, I don't mean hot. I mean running high rpms everywhere.

And yes, ideally, keeping the temps as cool as possible is the goal. But a 7psi turbo is generally just fine for an L-series motor, without needing an intercooler. That's the story I'm hearing from 510 folks on the bb-list, anyway.

But a 7psi turbo is generally just fine for an L-series motor, without needing an intercooler. That's the story I'm hearing from 510 folks on the bb-list, anyway.

I'd be interested in the rest of this story. Ultimately, do whatcha like. I'm not going to run a turbo without an intercooler. Doesn't make sense. When I talked to Nelson (AMI) about it he said he didn't think anythin over 4# was safe.

I definitely wouldn't do so without lower compression and forged pistons - which are pricey..

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.