Ethel: 71 521 Rocker Layer

Im back! Sold the rotory motor for more that I bought the RX7 that it came out of for. So now back to the old school. Going to try to put the original motor back in her. Its been sitting for awhile in the back of my shop. Any advice for what to do before I try and start it?

By the by this is what happened before I pulled the L18 out:

It wouldn't stay cool on me. Tore the thermostat out of it on the side of the freeway. Late for work. Got pissed. Still wouldn't cool down. Drove it anyway. About 20 mins in the red. Parked it in the barn direct. Didn't touch it for about 2 weeks. Tryied to start it so I could move it to put the rotax in it and....... nothing. So just pushed it to the shop bay and tore it out.

Guess I should go out there with a big ratchet first and see if the poor motor will even turn over. However, regardless of wheather it turns or not, why in blazes what it getting so damn hot. Radiator is fine. Fan was working. Was a brisk morning. And was just crusing home when splash! Coolent all over the window, my overflow bottle had filled up all the way and the temp gauge was pinned. Any help as to if I should toss the motor or try and figure out what the hell happened.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 years later...

Holy Damn I'm back!!! All I can say is its been far too long and I sincerely apologize to the entire ratsun community for my absence. Went on a ratrod binge but I'm back.

I'm working on my sisters 74 bulletside putting a new center support in it and I'm quite disappointed with the quality and design. Is there a performance version available? Any help would be much appreciated.

Welcome back :)

Holy Damn I'm back!!! All I can say is its been far too long and I sincerely apologize to the entire ratsun community for my absence. Went on a ratrod binge but I'm back.
I'm working on my sisters 74 bulletside putting a new center support in it and I'm quite disappointed with the quality and design. Is there a performance version available? Any help would be much appreciated.

I don't know of any performance upgrades for the carrier, and I would question needing an upgrade myself, that assembly lasts  for decades, and it could care less if you beat the living shit out of it, i'm 99.9 percent sure that something other than that will fail first. 

• Like 1

Welcome back. 

If you mean the carrier bearing, a one piece drive shaft would get rid of the issue entirely. 

• Like 1
  • 7 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...