My daily Volksrod

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would put the motor up front. There are a few V8 beetles that do it this way. I think a V8 in the back would make it to rear heavy for me. There is a way to put a V8 from a front wheel drive ?Tornado? using an adapter plate. I think that way would make it rear heavy on a quick take off causing the front end to lift.

The truck frame build is an involved project. I would have to build a floor and notch part of the heater channels. The major problem with this is the transmission is so big it really cuts down on foot room. To run a clutch it makes the pedals real close together. This usually is fixed but moving them back and sitting almost in the back seat. I do not want to go this route so I will have to run a auto.

Here is what I am trying to convey.

V-8319.jpg

Which bug is this, is this one yours? Nice rod though. Like it. Is it legal to run down there with out mud flaps or fenders. I think if I tried to drive something like that up here, i could only do it in fair weather. not sure though. I think you should leave that one like that and if you wanna do one with a V8 get another one.

I was planning on building a rear/mid engine car. I was originally gonna use the toronado set up, but for the car i was gonna build the weight ratio would have been off. I decided to use a porshe 914 tranny which i still have i just neve built the car.

in your case you could probably put the toronado set up back there, or look into the mercury sable set up. It has a transverse front wheel drive motor and tranny like the toronado.

Edited by LCDC

Ya I agree, wrong wheel drive is a waste. Adding all that weight up front and doing fwd is going to completely murder that car, which is hot btw lol.

The fastest ones I have ever seen were all rear engine v8. I would do mid engine and say to hell with the seats.

Mid-engine, rear wheel drive. Do it. Who needs rear seats in a rod?

I actually do need a rear seat. I have a 3 year old and he loves riding in Daddies car. He prefers the Volksrod over the 95 Jetta and my moms 02 PT Loser.

I actually do need a rear seat. I have a 3 year old and he loves riding in Daddies car. He prefers the Volksrod over the 95 Jetta and my moms 02 PT Loser.

Thats one smart kid then, especially if he coined "PT Loser" :D

I gave my bug to my step dad. He's been doing nothing but working his ass off for the last 100 years or so and my moms been slave driving him too. he is currently being treated for lymphoma bcell so i was thinking when he gets done and everything he needs to slow down and have a project. He use to have a 65 volk bug and has been wanting another one. This one is a 74 super beetle with the rounded window but its still a bug.

i'll post a pic on here when I get a chance.

Mount a carseat next to it! Get him used to the roar of a few giant carburetors!

I have a 71 beetle frame sitting next to my shed. It is pretty rust free except for a couple spots in the pan. No title, as it was left by the last owner of the house. Has the wheels and the trans still.

I love volksrods, and would love to turn it into one someday, I keep my out for a solid body, but nothing in the area, and I would need an engine, etc. It'd be alot of work, but I appreciate the inspiration! Yours is rad!

I have a 71 beetle frame sitting next to my shed. It is pretty rust free except for a couple spots in the pan. No title, as it was left by the last owner of the house. Has the wheels and the trans still.

I love volksrods, and would love to turn it into one someday, I keep my out for a solid body, but nothing in the area, and I would need an engine, etc. It'd be alot of work, but I appreciate the inspiration! Yours is rad!

Hell fisch, if you got a frame, get a Hot VW mag and get a body kit thats fiberglass. A chopped top rod or something to that effect.

Dang, this is gonna want to make me get another bug. I'll do it some time.