Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's how I look at it:

Used KA24DE swap $500

Quality turbo manifold $400

Custom intercooler made to fit a dime $400-$500

Used Turbo $300-$400

Autometer boost gauge - $50

His deal is not that great of a deal - especially for a 510...

You will be hard pressed to build a forged bottom end for under $2k. Kevin said he has $3400 in his fully forged, bullet proof KA bottom end. That's just the short block. Add to that "cheap" head work of $800, a quality gasket set and head gasket $200 and you now have a long bock.

Building and engine is very expensive, unless you have the machine shop and machining skills. Then it's just expensive.

O I think it can be done Oregondime, I just think the setup the guy is selling is way overpriced. A well planned project can be on a way cheaper budget than some yahoo jumping on that swap on CL. Engine management is where the power and reliability comes from. A stock ecu is not mapped for boost and the timing curve is also not set for boost. I know a guy who dynoed 302 (or so its been over a year now a days) at the wheels with a ka turbo. It only lasted 2 weeks though. His engine management was a SAFC -50 across the board. Look at the L28et for instance, 4bit ecu and those engines will go 200k. Anyways you get my point, that ka would last 2 weeks then you would be wishing you would have built your own :D

what makes me uncomfortable about sr's, even though yes a lot of em good, my friend who got a stock motor for his late 80s pathfinder, got a bad motor, straight from japan. theyre shipped on a ship, bashing around in the ocean, before getting on the ship getting thrashed on a street, whereas a ka motor also thrashed on a street, but not as much pressure going through the block for the lack of a turbo. you make tune and drive a fresh ka made locally, with less than 30-80,000 who knows miles on an imported motor. i dunno maybe thats just my military training saying dont trust those damn japanese lol