Disc Brake kits 521/520/320/620

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The brackets are still at the welder's. Once they come back, they go to the plater.....then I should be able to start packing them up to sell. I've only got one paid for and I think, two others who are just waiting for them to be finished. You can pm me if you have any questions. You can start looking for 720 hubs :)

Any chance you've got a disc kit for a 411? Prepay or wait for more intrest is fine with me, I can use all the help I can get! My email is brettgallagher0@gmail.com Let me know either way, I would really appreciate any insight into these cool little datsuns... Or any other options to help improve the brakes... Thank you very much, hope to hear from you sometime!

Thought I'd post an update.....

I just dropped the brackets off at the plater's for a coating of black zinc. They said about a week. I think about 6 are "spoken for" although that's usually a bit fluid until they're paid for.

I'll be picking up the hardware in the next day or two. I'm hoping that the first of next week, they'll be getting boxed and shipping.

• 2 weeks later...

I just picked up the brackets today. I've already been paid for several of them. I'll start emailing the guys on the list......time to start paypal'n :)

I killed my camera somehow...picked up a new one on the way home from work.....I'll see if I can get some pics up today of the black zinc finish.

The info on here is so diluted it's hard to tell exactly what is needed for this mod. I'm going to create another page, most likely on my website, with more specific info and pics......but for now, I'll put up some of the new info I've just looked up. Hopefully, it will save some confusion on donor parts :)

The calipers are the same from '83 through '97.

Caliper.jpg

The rotors needed are from 11/82 to 10/85.

RotorYears.jpg

The first rotor is the correct rotor and has the shorter top hat. I'm putting up both for comparison.

720rotor.jpg

...just let me re-emphasize....this is NOT the correct rotor.

HBrotor.jpg

Got the parts back from the cutter a lot faster than I thought I would!! I've got 10 more truck kits in the works....only about 4 left of the first 10. I've still got a couple of guys out there that said they definitely wanted a set, but haven't gotten in touch with me yet. If they had, I probably wouldn't have any of the 10 left right now :) Anyway..... I still need to make the spacers before I can pass them onto the welder, but at least it didn't take me 6-12mos to get another set going! :)

100_0222.jpg

100_0224.jpg

100_0176.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

O0o0o0o0oo come summer 40 hour weeks return ill definitely be in line for a 521 kit!! Im not thinkin the ball joint swap is for me, so im gonna refurbish the old kingpin setup and run these fine discs! BTW Mike, sorry for the delay on that exhaust flange, sudden financial crisis with the tax man =( Will pay asap!

• 1 month later...

I added this to the very first post, but I don't know if updates like that send out notifications....so I thought I'd add it at the end too.

I did some mock up today with stock 320 and 521 rims. I've always said that this kit fit stock rims, but may possibly need a 1/4" spacer. There's been a case where the caliper had to be ground on a bit to clear. I finally figured out what was going on!!! I did my checks and mockup with used brake pads!!! They clear just fine, but the pads were about 1/2 gone. With new pads, I can see where some grinding or a spacer would probably be needed. I'll see if I can do up some CAD art to have 1/8" or maybe 1/4" spacers laser cut out of steel. I probably haven't heard any complaints because they either haven't been installed or they were not running stock rims. Anyway....I just wanted to clarify this since I've been getting more and more questions about running stock rims. :)

okay...here's some pics to go with the above comment. The hub looks shiny because it is a HB hub that's been cut to fit the stock 320/521 rims. First few pics are simply the used parts mounted up with the current bracket. The wheels are a 320(narrower rim with rivets) and a 520/521 rim(welded). With the used pads(1/2 left) there's about an 1/8" of clearance to both rims. New pads would push the caliper further in toward the rim, causing a bit of a clearance issue. It was reported by Charlie69 that the stock rims hit. I don't have a set of new pads on hand right now, but I'll try to pick a set up and check fit with a wheel spacer.

100_0662.jpg

100_0663.jpg

100_0664.jpg

100_0665.jpg

100_0666.jpg

100_0667.jpg

100_0668.jpg

100_0672.jpg

So, I bought some new pads....did some testing....DOH!! :( Took vids...probably better and easier than trying to explain it. Yes, stock wheels still work, but will require 1/4" wheel spacers. I said this a couple of years ago, but I haven't emphasized it at all....kinda forgot about it. Anyway....here's the vids...it's bed time! :)

th_100_5793.jpg

th_100_5795.jpg

th_100_5796.jpg

th_100_5797.jpg

th_100_5798.jpg

The one on the right is the SAE one from the stock 521 hub.

100_0692.jpg

I got the brackets back from the plater. I think I have 11 sets now. Anyone waiting for the plated sets, speak up now. They'll go on ebay as soon as I get a chance. :)

100_0755.jpg

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.