Disc Brake kits 521/520/320/620

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For an easy 5 lug swap....

Instead of using a Nissan rotor, grab yourself a couple Toyota pickup hubs. Somewhere in the range of 85-93. These will need the base of the Nissan spindle to be machined about 1/4" for the Toyota hub to fit. I am almost positive that the 720, hardbody calipers will still fit, someone else may need to chime in on this part.

spindlemachinecopy.jpg

I stole this from infamousnissan.com

Let me know!

-Madison

Since the wheel bases are similar between the toy and nissan......and I'll bet the ball joint taper is the same 7.25 deg too.....what's stopping guys from simply putting toyota spindles on the nissan? I'm sure the spindles are different overall heights, but would that matter that much? Geez....last thing I need is to get sidetracked onto the 5 lug swaps!! :(

I'm thinking that the 1/4" that gets cut off, not only gains the spindle length to put the outer bearing where it should be, but it also centers the rotor in the caliper. That could be why I read that it's actually .300" instead of .250". Maybe that centers it perfectly. I'm sure the rotors are both close enough in thickness that the caliper will work if it's close enough to center. It should handle the .050" offset anyway....but it could be close. I'd like to play with it, but I'm just not sure I want to go buy up the parts just for the curiosity factor. :)

Haha, COME ON MIKE!!!

Myself and others, im sure, would gladly compensate you for helping us to make a simple 5 lug swap for our trucks! :)

I have pondered but there are no Nissan or Toyota trucks in junkyards around me, they all get swooped up and taken to Mexico.

I would have to source all of these parts from somewhere else either way. I've determined I'm going the "BEEBANI's control arms" method. I will still need to source all other parts from somewhere else though, as I said. :\ Any information you have will help though... How big of a lathe do you think you would need to turn spindles?! I could order some HB drop spindles from somewhere and have those machined but I'm not sure if theres a machine shop around here with a lathe that big. HA.

Just ponderin....

AGAIN..

I can swing 6.5" on my lathe...so the distance from the center of the spindle to the furthest point would have to be less than that. When I did Brian's mustang II spindles, they were dropped spindles and barely fit....so I'm guessing it would take a bigger lathe than mine to do the truck spindles. That is, of course, if they're going to be done in a lathe....which would be the better method, but as we've seen....the spindle can be pressed out and the boss milled down. I can do that here too, it's just not as easy. ...hhmmm....my lathe is a gap bed, which will allow for 18", but that's more for really thin stuff like a flywheel. I've got some stock hardbody spindles....I'll have to take a peak at whether they'll clear.

I can't keep pushing off all of my stuff to do this kind of thing. If someone local wanted to go get all the parts and have me machine them, that would save me a ton of time. Chasing parts, boxing, shipping....big time wasters :) ...hhmm....come to think of it.....so is sitting on the computer all morning on my one day off this week!! :) lol

HAHA! I hear you, this is my one day off, too. I need to go do some damn body work.

Just the information would be a huge help, if you've ever got time. Someday I'll get lucky and find a toy and a nissan sitting right next to each other at the JY. haha

get to work man, i need to!

nis720 has a thread on here with info and he'll be adding more. He also has a thread up on infamousnissan with some good pics and info. I think I'll wait and let him post it up. I have no interest in this time to do a 5 lug for any of my stuff....I just get a kick out of the machine work side of things. Doing that part of it is about my only interest. Maybe a local guy has the parts to play with.

Okay...the kit is already sold. Rutroe said Kyle Petty was driving his datsun and the pedal went to the floor.....we can't be havin' pro drivers thinking badly of datsuns....so we're going to work things out to get some disc brakes on his rig :)

I think I ended up with an extra set or two of bearing adapters, so I've ordered a couple sets of brackets. I'll build them when bought. I'll squeeze them in somewhere :)

Okay...the kit is already sold. Rutroe said Kyle Petty was driving his datsun and the pedal went to the floor.....we can't be havin' pro drivers thinking badly of datsuns....so we're going to work things out to get some disc brakes on his rig :)

I think I ended up with an extra set or two of bearing adapters, so I've ordered a couple sets of brackets. I'll build them when bought. I'll squeeze them in somewhere :)

Awesome, now Rutroe needs to get Kyle back into the 521 once your adapters are in it, can you imagine Petty driving a truck with a set of your brake adapters! Welcome to the big-time Mike!

• 3 months later...

It WILL happen ! I'm trying to finish my part order today so I can get them on next week...If it's done, I'm going to try and drive the truck to Daytona with Kyle either following me or in front of me.

Fingers crossed !

• 1 month later...

Just a heads up, I just ordered laser cut brackets and the DOM for the bearing adapters. So, there will be at least 7 sets available in the near future.

$260+ $15 shipping(flat rate priority)

The biggest diff between the parts is the inner bearing adapater. I have one set for a 620 drum spindle already....someone was asking me about it...was that you?....anyway...it's a bit shorter than the 521 part, so I can easily convert a set if need be. I may have to get some different bolts to hold the bracket on since the spindle uses metric stuff.

Cool...maybe there will be two 620 kits sold :)

I picked up the DOM for the bearing adapters today....the call for the brackets should come in the next day or two. I'll probably go pick up hardware on monday. I don't plan on wasting any time getting these done.....last time it took me forever to do them.

Picked up the laser cut brackets....they came out really nice!!

These will clean up pretty easily. Since I'm hoping to sell a couple of these kits to pay for my trip to Spokane...I'll be getting busy on these pretty dang soon!

100_3385.jpg

100_3386.jpg

100_3390.jpg

100_3391.jpg

100_3392.jpg

Thanks :) I think I'll look a lot better once they've been finished and turned into paypal $'s! :)

One of the kits will go on my wife's 521, otherwise, the rest will be sold. I'll most likely have to ebay them since there's only one or two people saying they want a set. I'm much more into the prototyping end of things than the production.....so I may try to find someone to do the fab work on the next run.....if there even is a next run. I've got several other brake kit ideas I want to play with instead of these.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.