Truck guys might get mad..

Beau M

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Well, I have been super busy with life lately, and have made little progress. Here are a few pics, I hope to be done with the body work by the end of the summer, but every time I start in an area I find another than needs repair.

Vegas4009.jpg

Vegas4010.jpg

Vegas4011.jpg

This is a cool idea and its looking okay. I wish I would have chimed in sooner to advise rolling or channeling the edge for rigidity. I'm sure you noticed how flappy the bottom of that is. When you are done and hit the highway its going to flap like a motha and crack your paint/bondo all to hell. That section is like a giant sail.

I've seen it happen... I even had to take steps to prevent it from happening to me. Like cutting the whole center out lol :-X.

Edited by 72240z

Yeah, the bottom definitly needs some attention. I'm not 100% on what I am going to do, as I still need to make an exhaust cut out. Right now I am leaning toward cutting a length out of some exhaust tube for a rolled edge just like the sides, and then welding in some extra support from the back.

72240z, I just got done going through your s30 link. You did exactly what I plan on doing. I want mine satin black like that. You mentioned tractor paint, where did you get it? Has it held up, and is it a pain to keep clean? Also, I love your rear difuser. I was thinking of incorporating something like that in the lower edge of my hack job. Did you make it, and if so, how? Thanks for all the comments guys.

Edited by Beau M
I was totally miss reading this thread at first. I thought you were gonna put it in place of the back end and put truck tail lights under neath. Good idea though. Good job.

that's what I was thinking.

Would of been a more complicated project, but cooler.

It's a bummer you cut up a good tailgate just for the logo.. you totally could have just machined something...

Well, I have been super busy with life lately, and have made little progress. Here are a few pics, I hope to be done with the body work by the end of the summer, but every time I start in an area I find another than needs repair.

Vegas4009.jpg

Vegas4010.jpg

Vegas4011.jpg

that is awesome dude :thumbsup:

wish i had the skills for something like that :D

Wow :P such an awesome idea, and it fits perfect. The best way to learn body work is to jump into it with your own projects, excellent job! Love it yet?

Can't wait to see it all painted and done, again mad props, looks great! :D

Yeah, the bottom definitly needs some attention. I'm not 100% on what I am going to do, as I still need to make an exhaust cut out. Right now I am leaning toward cutting a length out of some exhaust tube for a rolled edge just like the sides, and then welding in some extra support from the back.

72240z, I just got done going through your s30 link. You did exactly what I plan on doing. I want mine satin black like that. You mentioned tractor paint, where did you get it? Has it held up, and is it a pain to keep clean? Also, I love your rear difuser. I was thinking of incorporating something like that in the lower edge of my hack job. Did you make it, and if so, how? Thanks for all the comments guys.

Ya its john deere tractor paint, I had to drive to a JD supply in the boonies. I can't say how its held up on the rd since I don't drive it but it's been painted 1.5 years and looks the same. It's a non gloss black, doesn't get much better as far as keeping clean.

Thanks but its not a diffuser YET, just a cut out for the diffuser lol. I just mocked up with cardboard and tape then used the cardboard as templates, got to biz cutting and welding etc..... I actually don't like it as is but I plan to cover the entire bottom of the car in alum and then add a diffuser in the back I molded out of plexi :-X. The end result will be nice.

Edited by 72240z
  • 1 month later...

The thing about it is I had to replace both rear lower quarters at the same time. On top of that, I had to highly modify coupe panels to fit my 2+2. Its been a lot of cutting and re-cutting, but its getting there. Here's a quick shot of it in ALMOST its final place, I have since moved it a bit. I did strip the three layers of paint though, it was a yellow truck that was painted black, then painted red.

strip1.jpg

strip2.jpg