I Need A L20b Rebuilt!

Atmurray48

Ok I Got An L20b For A 78 620! I Really Need To Rebuild It But Dont Know What Im Doing In Motor Rebuilding! I Would Like To Know If Anyone Can Do This For Me I Would Buy All Parts And Pay For Time! I Dont Have Alot Of Money To Throw At This All At Once So It Would Have To Be Over Time. I Would Like To Do Some Preformance But Not Alot. I Would Also Like To Paint The Block And Other Little Things. I Am Rebuilding This Truck To "new Condition" So I Can Get The Title Put Back To "0" Miles!

If Possible I Would Also Be Willing To Buy A Already Built Motor And Give You The Old Motor As A Core.

Please Help!! Up For Ideas To Thanks Adam

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok I Got An L20b For A 78 620! I Really Need To Rebuild It But Dont Know What Im Doing In Motor Rebuilding! I Would Like To Know If Anyone Can Do This For Me I Would Buy All Parts And Pay For Time! I Dont Have Alot Of Money To Throw At This All At Once So It Would Have To Be Over Time. I Would Like To Do Some Preformance But Not Alot. I Would Also Like To Paint The Block And Other Little Things. I Am Rebuilding This Truck To "new Condition" So I Can Get The Title Put Back To "0" Miles!

If Possible I Would Also Be Willing To Buy A Already Built Motor And Give You The Old Motor As A Core.

Please Help!! Up For Ideas To Thanks Adam

FYI, I was quoted to rebuild that engine at a shop would cost ~1500... I have never done it myself or had the space to do it. If you look on ebay you can find l20bs for 550-1000 rebuilt. I would weigh the time and parts cost against buying one built. I will be doing the same thing. However, I think mine will likely be bought and just thrown in because it is more efficient that way IMO. Oh yeah, go to guba.com and search for datsun. You can view heinz video. I have the rest of the info but I would suggest talking to him about buying the DVD.

I've put about 1500 into my rebuild, I highly recommend talking to a few machine shops and finding out which one has done a few datto motors. If you can't find someone to do the machine work then look into ebay or the like. You'll want to know your motor...especially if your trying to get your title returned to zero (I didn't know that was even possible)

...and please stop with the Caps, my eyes are bleeding...

OK...when I did the rebuild of my L16 about 3 years ago..I did it myself...sort of..machine shop did all the heavy work..clean up bore clean er up new freeze plugs etc...then the head of course...etc...buy the motor kit (ya the normal stuff, pistons, rings, etc, etc..have the machine shop press the bearings in etc...yada yada yada....I seem to remember that just gettin that far was well over 900 bucks....and I had to do all the painting assembling yada yada..........OK here is the deal now....I bought a completely rebuilt L20b from a guy in Rancho Cucamonga for 1100 bucks...READY TO GO!!!(sorry Red Eye)...anyway he is on EBay all the time...(fact is He has a rebuilt L16 now there for 700 bucks complete)......I do know that Mark (pac Coast Datsun) has one of his motors in his 620.....I think unless you have the ability and the available time to "do it yourself" and do know that you local machine shop can do a good job on an L motor...buyin the rebuilt is the way to go.....and if you can somehow be in the area here..you can do a "pick up" at his house and save the 300 bucks shipping!