Stock air cleaner to weber mod

mklotz70

..........."Well, since you're riveting it, you can redo it if it's not stable enough. I used the side of a computer case on the first one....it wobbled....that's why this one got the 16ga You could use some angle or bend a couple of strips of sheet metal to make angle and rivet those across, just outside the mounting holes...might make it more rigid without having to completely redo it."

Thinking I could have cardboard in there.....:lol:

Being mounted to the valve cover and all.

The pot lid....in theory.....should 'somewhat' counter the wobble.:D

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Decided to make another plate for the base of the air cleaner.

No wobble now..............:D

Riveted that on.

Fits rather well.....just have to clean everything up....then rattle can it:cool:

Oh......and also mount the Weber and remove some emissions from engine.

EIA tubes from the EM will be hooked up....but plugged.

Not sure yet about the ATC....it's the vacuum motor at the end of the air cleaner.

Good for cold starts......engine will run leaner......but????

Eliminate?

P1010001-3.jpg

P1010002-2.jpg

P1010003-2.jpg

P1010004-1.jpg

P1010005-1.jpg

That came out sweet!

As for the ATC...it also helps keep the temp in the air cleaner high enough to keep the carb from icing up. If you were worried about air flow, you wouldn't be running a stock air cleaner :) If it was a show truck more than a driver, I'd ditch it, but it's a driver....keep it :)

• Like 1

Actually...wasn't thinking about the air flow from the stock air cleaner.

Just couldn't afford to buy a Weber AC right now:(

But....I was out today....in another 720.

I know the ATC is not functioning properly because I plugged all (most) of the vacuum (emission) hoses on the stock Hitachi

The truck has been underpowered lately...(winter).....then all of a sudden it would start missing, big time.

No power.

Black smoke is belching out...turn it off.....pop the the hood....ice on the carbs base plate.

Wait a minute......flashes right up.....good to go.

Happened twice so far.

ATC....?

Edited by Sealik
  • Like 1

Well ....if some one did....it was me.:lol:

Other than the emissions..(hoses).....nothing has been touched.

Thinking that the length of the snorkel on the air cleaner drawing cold air in would contribute to the ice.????

Relative to being heated by the EM

Not knowing......just a guess.:blink:

• Like 1

Black smoke is too much gas....so maybe the choke is sticking closed?

If the ATC were working, the length of the snorkel wouldn't matter as much.

Check the emissions hoses....I wouldn't be surprised if you have a water valve controlled by them that would heat the intake.

• Like 1

Initially I thought it might be the accelerator pump.....or choke

But.....It was wide open.....no leaks around carb....couldn't check the sight (dot) glass to confirm flooding.

Carb might be partially NFG.

Might have to put that Weber and air cleaner on....help make it through it's last winter;)

• Like 1
  • 4 years later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I was checking on something....found that the links from all the thumbnails on page one are bad.  Going to repost fresh links.  I tried to edit what was there without any luck.

http://s88.photobucket.com/user/mklotz70/library/Projects/stock%20air%20cleaner%20mod/aircleanerVer2?sort=2&page=1

....after several more failed attempts....keep getting the "can't use this file extension" or something to that effect......I decided to just post a link to the PB album where the vids are.  What's the deal with ratsun not posting vid links from PB?  Seems to work sometimes, but typically not.

• Like 2

Mike I have had to re do pictures in my posts over the years.  seems like some are affected by software updates.

I just edit the post by deleting all the bad pictures and then paste the new links back in the post.  This is the only way I have been successful in getting the pictures to work.  You have to be sure and highlight all of the code for each picture and hit the delete key on your keyboard or right click delete.

• Like 1
  • 11 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 5 years later...

its not exact as the weber is raised compared to the stock bracket that goes to the intake but will fit the main airfilter housing. Its quieter that the weber airfilter and more common replacement. I like them!!!!!!!!!!! but throw or gave all away

I have the Tall Weber adpater and I think I would hit the hood anyways

Edited by banzai510(hainz)
  • Like 1