blue lake 07 road trip(from hell)

We met up with Dave(Pumpkin 210) and David(GGzilla)at tacoma mall krusty kreme.Headed south and only stopped once.Came in near vancouver to meet up with some folk when I realized that I could not shift out of 4th gear.Clutch worked though so we hit our exit and stopped at the nearest parking lot.Good thing we had some cool walkie talkies.

Would not budge so I decided to see if it would take off in 4th.Very hard on the clutch but it managed to move.We told the other guys to go ahead without us.Managed to make it to the show.

I am fortunate enough to have met Brian(freaky510) from Longview who said he had a tranny.We enjoyed the whole event then decided to head to Longview.You should have seen us stuck on a hill behind a line of cars.Almost threw up from the clutch smoke around us.Met up with Brian at his house and chatted cars for hours.Very gracious hosts to a couple out of town losers in a 521.Even gave us a ride to wal mart for gear oil and fed us pizza.

We eventually swapped out the tranny and all was good so we headed on our way.Nice smooth shifting,quiet tranny.We made it to a rest stop just south of olympia and stopped to get some coffee,being that it was like 11:30.When starting up to leave it would not turn over.I assume the starter but it would not push start.Motor was seized!!!SHIT!!Sat pissed off for a while and screwed around to determine it was a locked up block,then remembered pushing it in 4th gear it would turn the motor.Managed to rock it free.

Started up great,but wait!No headlights.Blown fuse.Imagine that,me with no spare fuse after all of that.Wired up the lights and flew home just fine.

Got to our exit and when taking off,something broke and the clutch pedal went to the floor while in 2nd gear.Lucky me 3 of my next lights were green.Not the last one though.Ran that fucker!Skipped to the house parked it,went to bed and skipped work the next day.

Thanks to everyone who assisted us with our issues.I will always do the same for anyone else.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

if u would have waited like 10-15 mins or so she'd have unlocked, mines done it twice.. an it awlays pisses me off!!!!! good to hear you made it home ok, hope ya get it fixed an shit.. it was great meeting ya hope to see ya again soon, OH yea thats one hell of a datsun story to tell.. atleast it was for the datsun show.. bet you'll never forget it.. oh by the way its 2007 bro

Uh..yeah.2007 I know.I wrote it up late while a little intoxicated.Cant seem to edit the title.Can some one else?Maybe I am stupid...stupid like a fox!

Anyways,Lynch,no it would not free up.Unless your referring to the motor and I waited well over 10 min for it to free up.Like 45 min before we rocked it out in 4th gear.Still runs great with no knocks or smoke.Maybe part of the clutch lodged up on the tranny shaft or something.I believe I was running with too little gear oil in the tranny is why it took a shit.

Altogether though it was not really a big downer.I had a great time other than being a little nervous driving around in 4th.The only thing I really have to do is replace the clutch,and get a 5 speed.

Happy to have met everyone and very grateful for all the help.Definitely a trip to remember.

I have had that happen before.That,I believe,is because the head is warping and putting tension on the camshaft.Happened in 2 different motors to me.

On a good note,my excessive use of the clutch seems to have loosened the slave bleeder and that is why the clutch went out.I just drove it.Still the best short 4 I have ever had.Shifts smooth without any grind on either up or down shift.

I have band practice mon and tues ( http://www.myspace.com/benderrock06 )but as long as you guys meet up often I could probably squeeze one in.Where do you guys meet up at?Are there any other Datsun lovers/musicians out there?

And yeah,I tightened the bleeder and filled er up and good to go.The other issue is that the shifter housing on this tranny is backwards so the tunnel plate wont mount up.Keeper bolt is seized as well.

I also found the tranny flange to drive shaft bolts were backwards and all loosened up.I swear my friend set them up that way.Remember that bolt head goes on u joint side.

Yo fishie, Sorry to hear about your luck. Thought about callin you up on my way out to see if ya needed an extra pair of hands. Guess I should have. If you want to go to the Tuesday night thing sometime, hit me up! We can meet up, and Convvooooyyyyyy!

Datsunfish sux to hear bout all those problems but kool that your Ratsun friends helped you out. I have a story to share here. Last night coming home from work [28 miles each way] im bout 3 miles from work & my exhaust pipe breaks off 4 inches below the ex. manifold! I drive a few miles to a gas station & drive up on the curb so i can get under & see what & where it broke & a guy approaches & says "hey i used to have one of those trucks". I talk with the guy while i look for my bungee cord to hold up the pipe so it doesnt drag on the ground & he tells me that he has a L 16 & trans. i can have for free if i like! The he volunteers to get under the truck & wrap the bungee around the pipe for me..i offer him something from the gas station store but he refuses. So i go this # & thanked him..i thought it was kool to meet a former Datsun owner & person willing to help "just because" :cool:

I think that one of the things about being a gear head/Datsun nut is that it is almost a priveledge rarther than a burden to work on one.Even if its not your own.

I had a 720 that had the pipe fall off under the mani.Only thing was that it happened when up camping in the mountains far from anything.One f'ing loud weekend.

hey i still got your 5speed and tires give me a call. Do you still have the header? i might want that. if you want you can come down and we can put the 5speed in and ill fire up the bbq. Rockfest is sunday.So if anyone is their look for a bald guy with a redhead and say hi to a fellow ratsun!!

I dont remember you being bald.Then again I dont remember much past the......I still got the header.I can hang on to it for you.It will be a couple weeks before I can head back down that way but I will keep you posted.Oh and your wrench should be in the mail shortly.