87 Nissan 300zx

jrbd10

Well I'm going to get a free Z! My dad's friend is cleaning out all his crap and well this to him is crap sort of, and he is simply going to give it to me. No bull, FREE CAR! WOOT! Ok, lost my self there a bit. Well what do you recommend as for upgrades? Any opinions on the car. BTW its non turbo. 5 speed. and of course a Z!

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There are a millions things..... Gaols and a budget narrows things down.

It's crazy slow with a soft suspension and a weight problem. It like all z's though have potential.

Turbo motor swap, very strait forward, if budget allows a cheapo ic kit and manual boost controller will up your hp to a dependable 220ish. The car is slow as hell, I'd do this 1st. It can be done for 1-1500 easily.

Basic brake work (braided lines, hawk pads, drilled rotors.) Can be done for under 500 if you look in the right places. I say basic but just those simple things will have the car stopping a good 30% or better.

Coilovers if budget allows, springs at the very least. The car has a very soft suspension stock and squats like a motha. You can get a set of coilovers for 1000k-.

Try and lighten it up where ever you can, that improves all of the above for free. Stock the car as a serious weight issue.

There is 3k budget for you and w/e time frame you like :-). You'll have the performance of a stock z32 n/a if not better which is nothing to scoff at.

well i think for sure, ill try to do the coilovers, then brakes, then build up the engine. i think i might use what it has. what do you think about tension rods. would this help the car a little. im a little skeptical given it does have a huge weight proublem...

I think they have good torque, not a whole lot of power but enough to be fun. Mostly slow by today's standards, not by 1987's. :D

I would suggest you upgrade the suspension and wheels. tint the windows a little and leave it at that.

spring, struts (cheaper and easier than coilovers) new sway bar bushings, 17" wheels and new tires. Call it good ;)

otherwise, I'd like it as a parts car! :D

so i guess springs and struts...new rims and tires...had that in mind. then intake, headers then exhust in that order! then cd deck, speakers, amp, maybe a sub too, then some sweet seats! and then a new paint job. ahhh datsun bliss! ok on second thought, the cd, speakers and maybe amp, sub would be first! a guy needs his music!

so i guess springs and struts...new rims and tires...had that in mind. then intake, headers then exhust in that order! then cd deck, speakers, amp, maybe a sub too, then some sweet seats! and then a new paint job. ahhh datsun bliss! ok on second thought, the cd, speakers and maybe amp, sub would be first! a guy needs his music!

Nissan bliss actually lol, the z31's can be a sweet ride if done right. This better be for real though not liker the last "loan" bullshit. We want progress and pics!!!!

hey im still refering to it as the datsun! but ok the nissan. from now on its the Z! the loan thing was a big try, but failed uttlerly and this one is gonna be a nice, slow, progression. as soon as the car is home i will take pics! promise. then try to jump in on the car audio. given that for obvious reasons, it doesnt play CD's and knowing my destroctive ass, ima rip the old speakers so (you can start to laugh right about here....)that mommy can help her baby out! im currently broke as a joke. ive got zero money. i do have around 500 but goona be blown on the 710. the 5 speed, and igniton...maybe ill have some left over but if i say well mom i have no music in the z, she would have to whip out some cash and help her son out. is this being a bitch, i guess you can say that. but i see it more of an oportunity to fix what is not there, and im flat broke! im sure, at one point, we all asked our parents to help us out with something.

i know its more weight so thats why im thinking to add some tunes but maybe just the speakers, the cd player, and a good amp for the speakers. MAYBE a sub but thats a MAYBE! sure the car sounds amazing but i need my music! i have so many cds, i want to hear them!

I have a 86 non turbo and it's also a automatic. It's slow yet torquey and sounds nice I got it for my sweetie, she loves it. I think it is the best $1400 dollar car I have ever bought. It's been very reliable. Fix up your susp. and put the tunes to it. Drive drive drive.

IMG_3654.jpg

Save you coin and get a old Datsun of some flavor and build it will the Z is your daily driver, just a suggestion. :)

Good deal for you! I feel your happiness way over here :D

yea thats the plan. have the 74 710 as the mess around car. the 87 as the daily. but i need to fix the 87 now. all the attention is heading over to the 87. proublem is ill have 3 cars now. the 710, the z, and the mercedes. i need to get rid of the mercedes. but its hard to get rid of and or sell. unless my dad is cool with me having 3 cars! last time he gave me shit for buying a VW bug. i had to give it away because the guy i was gonna get the engine from, died and his daughter junked everything including the engine. so i sold it to someone else.

I would suggest you skip the headers. A 2.25" exhaust from the factory manifold back should suffice. Less problems with the cast manifold.

With a stock intake manifold and internals you will not see any results from the header install. The K&N filter will be about 2 hp more. Its not considered a real intake modification.

:)

Well I'm going to get a free Z! My dad's friend is cleaning out all his crap and well this to him is crap sort of, and he is simply going to give it to me. No bull, FREE CAR! WOOT! Ok, lost my self there a bit. Well what do you recommend as for upgrades? Any opinions on the car. BTW its non turbo. 5 speed. and of course a Z!

Does it even run? If it was running when parked... how long ago was that? Will you need a few hundred just to get it on the street? License/insurance/replacing any missing smog shit to get a pass? Battery? Exhaust system?

With a stock intake manifold and internals you will not see any results from the header install.

That's not even close to true. The z31 I flipped had headers and I have a set on my d21 as well. On my old n/a z32 I also installed a set. Very noticeable difference in every case. The z32 dyno'd 16hp higher along with strait pipes and mufflers.

They are the single greatest bolt on hp gain a N/A engine has in most cases (FI). Of course in conjunction with other supporting mods yields better results but saying none is completely wrong.

Edited by 72240z

well bleach i know im going to do small things. what do you recomend for some quick power then.

damm datzenmike!

well the car is running and if i need to do smog i know the guy. it does run i have used it before nothing is wrong with it. nothing to drive it in fact ima drive it back from san fran to la. so theres a good test right!

That's not even close to true. The z32 dyno'd 16hp higher along with strait pipes and mufflers.

First of all the Z32 is not even close to a Z31. They had 62 more crank horsepower stock just from engine design changes. Straight pipes, mufflers, and headers are not just headers and who knows what else that car had. Any intake work, the straight pipes, and muffler could have made up 14 of that 16hp increase.

2.25" exhaust on the stock manifold vs. 2.25" exhaust on headers on the VG30 will make more noise. You will lose torque and the horsepower gain isn't worth it.

The application is a VG30e with a cone filter and intake tube as the only other mods. (which almost does nothing really)

First of all the Z32 is not even close to a Z31. They had 62 more crank horsepower stock just from engine design changes. Straight pipes, mufflers, and headers are not just headers and who knows what else that car had. Any intake work, the straight pipes, and muffler could have made up 14 of that 16hp increase.

2.25" exhaust on the stock manifold vs. 2.25" exhaust on headers on the VG30 will make more noise. You will lose torque and the horsepower gain isn't worth it.

The application is a VG30e with a cone filter and intake tube as the only other mods. (which almost does nothing really)

So your telling me the engine itself makes a difference to whether there is or isn't a gain at all to be had? V6, V8, sohc, dohc I really don't care and it doesn't matter, tuned length header = hp (and sometimes tq gain) gain. The z32 was a dyno example. I drive a vg30i with headers daily and as I said a vg30e with headers on the same exact car months ago. The vg30 not only is all stock besides the headers, it's bs tbi. The z31 was also completely stock besides the headers and the plug wires. There was a very noticeable gain in each case.

A tubular header will always make more noise then a cast, I don't see the point on that. Performance exhausts make more noise, it's preference.

As for hp vs tq I don't see the point either. Not only did my z32 not loose any tq it gained 4, which granted could be negligible due to run differences but it was not a loss, but that aside even.... Lightening the flywheel is a hp gain tq loss, going to tell me that's never worth it as well? Again matter of preference.

I'm not trying to be a smart ass or disrespectful but you said "With a stock intake manifold and internals you will not see any results from the header install." and your wrong. I feel that is important to note when he seems bent on following what you advise.

Edited by 72240z

motavated...honestly not sure. but hell im not complaining. my dad knows i love lotus cars aswell. i had an oppertunity to drive one at leguna seca up north and damm i fell in love. so its kinda a dream to own one. my dad suggested,

"Sell the merecedes, for around 10,000 then sell the 710 for about 6,000 then sell the Z for about 5-6,000. You should have around 21,000 to 22,000. Then buy a used Lotus Elise for about that and I'll pay the diffrence."

I looked at him with eyes that read to him, "SHUT THE HELL UP!" all i told him was I would get rid of the mercedes for a good trade. But yes the Lotus would be nice, but I dont have the balls to give the cars up like that. My dad just told me after he saw my eyes, "ok, ill just shut up."

I hate to break it to you but Lotus means

Lots Of Trouble Usaully Serious :(

I'm a old Britsh car mechanic

Stay Away, they look nice and handle better, but they have bad habits

Stick to the old Datsuns :)

Edited by Wharf Rat