new full exhaust...

wagonsun

im racking my brain trying to figure what type and brand of muffler for my new setup. i got a header installed which comes back to a 2 1/4 collector. im gonna downsize to a 2'' pipe and cant decide the muffler. want it to have a nice deep sound, not too too loud but be as free flowing as possible. any ideas.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

im racking my brain trying to figure what type and brand of muffler for my new setup. i got a header installed which comes back to a 2 1/4 collector. im gonna downsize to a 2'' pipe and cant decide the muffler. want it to have a nice deep sound, not too too loud but be as free flowing as possible. any ideas.

In How to Modify Datsun 510, 610, 240Z Engines & Chassis they recommended the chevy corvair turbo muffler.

i'm on the same boat. but i decided to make my own, well kinda....:lol: i found this muffler on another site, i haven't seen another like it. made by 5zigen it was a display model at sema back in 2004. only one of it's kind and it fits perfectly in the back of the 510. cause we all know our cars are crap for good exhuast systems.

pics:

DSC00698.jpg

DSC00699.jpg

DSC00700.jpg

DSC00701.jpg

DSC00702.jpg

DSC00704.jpg

Yes, the old chevy corvair turbo muffler recommendation was partially based on the fact that it is big. All the muffler recommendations I've read pretty much come down to one thing: that a bigger muffler is quieter and has less back pressure than a smaller one.

On my Datsun pickup is 2-1/2 inch "biggest muffler that fits" (Mustang V8 muffler) and a nice polished cannon at the back, angled up in the current Tokyo style.

The cannon is LOUD -- like motorcyle loud -- and inside looks like a glass pack. I added a real muffler under the bed, and it is still fairly loud, but now in a turbo-muffler kind of loud way.

Guest jaimesix
Yes, the old chevy corvair turbo muffler recommendation was partially based on the fact that it is big. All the muffler recommendations I've read pretty much come down to one thing: that a bigger muffler is quieter and has less back pressure than a smaller one.

On my Datsun pickup is 2-1/2 inch "biggest muffler that fits" (Mustang V8 muffler) and a nice polished cannon at the back, angled up in the current Tokyo style.

The cannon is LOUD -- like motorcyle loud -- and inside looks like a glass pack. I added a real muffler under the bed, and it is still fairly loud, but now in a turbo-muffler kind of loud way.

pix...pix.....pix....pix.....:eek:

r those yoko's AV01? i haven't seen those in a long while.:eek: i try to stay away from canister mufflers they don't look the age of the car. i have so many offers on hks hi-flow mufflers i kinda get sick of getting them. i guess to each his own, but i've played the canister roll on my old car so much it's like watanabe rims to me...:rolleyes:

Guest jaimesix

That looks cool Gizila.

Factory Datsuns had a pre mauffler and a muffler, so the logistics of having a muffler and a fat tailpipe fit the original display.

Your car must sound nice too. I have seen a car with the tail pipe/fat can, but no pre muffler or muffler behind it. Sounds rough.

Any videos of your cool ute???

Jaime._____________________________________________________

Add... I noticed, watch out with that welding point right over the tail pipe. Would be good to add a dab of POR-15 or some other rust preventive coating to parry rust trouble.

No fart cans on a datsun!!!! I work as a muffler jockey(exhaust specialties technician:lol:) right now and have had the priveledge to hear many different setups and do my own. I really like the straight through borla or magnaflow on a 4 banger. Good low tone and minimal rasp or buzz at high revs since its essentially a larger glasspack wrap on a straight pipe. If it does rasp out a bit then throw a small glasspack ahead of it. Some turbo muffs are ok but I would throw a small GP(cherry bomb) ahead of it for smoother tone. Next to the borla and 2 1/4" on my 521 I really did like the tone of a cherry bomb and thrush cheapo turbo muff I had before. I am making a collection of different muffs just to test them for sound.

Edited by datsunfish

well here's mines installed. i'll post a sound bite sometime soon. i have to redo the setup the tip sticks out about 1/2" over the bumper, i have some minor cutting to do in the rear sheet metal by the exhaust tip so i can slide the muffer back like 2" it has a great DEEEP tone that kinda give the carbs a balanced noise. the muffler has no offset so we had to play with the placement hence the minor fab to be done. i think it looks good on the car and after it was installed i took the looooong way home...:D:w00t:

DSC00710.jpg

DSC00709copy.jpg