Backwoods tribute '72 521

Here we go... Counting down to Canby, which seems to be the only motivation that makes me complete my projects. I have had this truck almost two years and it has had minimal to no love at all. So with Canby breathing down my neck I am making a run at it. Wish I had made more progress by now but I work better under pressure. I have some pictures of this weeks progress. Engine is out to get resealed and a bit of the "Krylon Touch", and I shaved the front markers and started on fenders today

003.jpg

004.jpg

005.jpg

007.jpg

019.jpg

021.jpg

036.jpg

037.jpg

045-1.jpg

038.jpg

057.jpg

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

hey Brian, just got your pm and I got to say I'm a little bummed. But I guess I still have a week to find a 5 speed. So to all you parts horders out there I am in need of a 5 speed to put behind this L20B. I would prefer a dogleg for an easy swap but I am needy more than picky. thanks

Yup, sorry dood. I had to give the other dood one last chance. Luckily for him, he took it. Next weekend looks pretty good weatherwise. I can help u or your bro pull the one we saw last week. Just a thought. Call me up. I'll be very close to the J/Y this coming Thurs and Friday.

-B

mike, stay tuned this is going to be a real thrash session to get this done. But I am gunning for that plaque you got last year so watch out. You don't happen to have a 5 speed tucked away in one of those shed by chance? Got my master cylinder today so I'm ready when you are.

• 2 weeks later...

my brother did all the engine work so all I can take credit for is the paint. But I did get a five speed rounded up in time. And bonus for me the truck had a brand new clutch in it. Need some new bolts for the bell housing, starter, and radiator, and install wiring. hope to have it running tomorrow. then its time to smooth 35+ yrs of wrinkles out.

• 3 weeks later...

Not to much blistering progress but I did get it torn down so I can see what I am working with. Took out the dash and the bench. gutted the doors and took them and the hinges off. Then I pulled up the wooden floor boards that I was dreading to spy under. And lucky for me the previous owner had put down some rustolium before he had screwed down the wood so the floors are actually real solid, the just had some surface rust that I ground off and then coated them with "rust mort". Took the doors and hood to work for some sparetime fun or have my helper practice on. If I get those done next week I plan on towing the bed and tailgate to work also. so here are the pictures.035.jpg[/img]

038-1.jpg

036-1.jpg

044-1.jpg

031.jpg

042-1.jpg

041-1.jpg

032.jpg

033.jpg

So is that rust stuff the same as Ospho? If not, where did you buy it? I've got a jug of Ospho around here somewhere.....I need to pull that out and put it on the bare panels that won't see paint for a couple of weeks.

It just dawned on me yesterday that you're still waiting on brakes.....I'll be working on them tonight or tomorrow :)

it is a conversion coating like ospho, It changes rust into zinc. I got this from Industrial Finishes cant remember the price. works really well and fast too, only take 30 minutes instead of 8-12 hours before paintable.

I was just going to PM you about those brakes Mike. It looked like you were having so much fun being a body man you forgot about me. Truck is looking good by the way, looks like we are both doing about the same thing. I have the cash for the brakes tucked away so as soon as I can get em would be great.

• 3 weeks later...

Got the bed off and pulled it into work along with the doors and the hood. One of my helpers needed some practice so I let him have at it. He would actually show up early so he could get after it. Anyway shaved the hooks and smoothed it all out got it into prime on friday.

0322.jpg

028.jpg

0332.jpg

0342.jpg

0362.jpg

0382.jpg

0392.jpg

0412.jpg

Do says she used Rust-Prep (or something like it) on the floor of Mend. Good stuff but evidently it didn't stand up to the radiator fluid. I guess there is no remedy except to fix the leak if it is from the radiator/heater core.

This looks a lot like Mend. Great to see another 72 521 get fixed up. You guys amaze me- :) BW

• 4 weeks later...

Schwing!!! Holy Cow!!!! That is so friggin' sweet!!! Awesome work!! I'll be lucky to even bring Mend to Canby, let alone have her in paint............let alone her paint ever being that nice!!!!

............and the brake pics are where?? :)

Trust me Mike, I'll be lucky to make it to Canby, I have to get the cab, doors, and hood painted so it can go the my "mechanic" for the brakes. I will take lots of pictures and post. I plan on posting alot in the next few weeks, because I plan on making alot of progress.

.... because I plan on making alot of progress.

That's my plan too.....we'll see how that goes!! :)

So tell your "mechanic" to get off his rear and get with it!! He hasn't been posting anything.....must mean he's not doing anything!! lol!!! j/k I'm sure he's real busy. :blink: