Greiggy's '78 Aussie 620

• Replies 499
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

so i wasnt too keen to post this info up... 

but the reason it was stripped and about to be parted, was that there was a small fire in the engine bay

An o-ring had deteriorated and it sprayed fuel everywhere, and a loose wire arced on the body. 

My fault, not ideal. 

it melted part of the body loom and a large section of the ECU loom .. it also melted my clutch master cylinder, brake master, brake and clutch flex lines, rubber gearshift fork boot, the insulation on my oil lines from the block to the filter. and a tiny bit of paint under the steering column. 

As soon as it went up, i grabbed my extinguisher out of the car and put it out as quick as i could.. the damage had been done though. 

EVERYONE IF YOUR WORKING ON YOUR CAR - HAVE A FIRE EXTINGUISHER EASILY ACCESSIBLE... THIS IS THE ONLY REASON WHY IT ISNT BURNT BEYOND REPAIR. 

Anyways : 

Started on it last night.

Ended up moving the ECU around on the Headboard panel which gave me some more harness length to terminate the connectors again. 

Bought some Tech flex braided sleeving to redo the ECU and body loom. 

Remade some brake Hardlines as its getting a S15 Master cylinder put in, along with a willwood residual pressure and proportioning valve for the rear drums. 

dummied up the harness again to check lengths.

Ordered a new batch of connectors (cas, intake temp, water temp, oil pressure, igintion, map sensor etc) 

about to order new braided brake and clutch lines. 

ill put pics up when i get time, at the moment i get to work on it 1 solid day a week and then a few nights if im at home. 

• Like 1

unfortunatley it will still be the sr20 redeye... 

I was excited for the diesel power, but the SR is a damn fine motor. :cool:

so i wasnt too keen to post this info up... 

but the reason it was stripped and about to be parted, was that there was a small fire in the engine bay

An o-ring had deteriorated and it sprayed fuel everywhere, and a loose wire arced on the body. 

My fault, not ideal. 

it melted part of the body loom and a large section of the ECU loom .. it also melted my clutch master cylinder, brake master, brake and clutch flex lines, rubber gearshift fork boot, the insulation on my oil lines from the block to the filter. and a tiny bit of paint under the steering column. 

As soon as it went up, i grabbed my extinguisher out of the car and put it out as quick as i could.. the damage had been done though. 

EVERYONE IF YOUR WORKING ON YOUR CAR - HAVE A FIRE EXTINGUISHER EASILY ACCESSIBLE... THIS IS THE ONLY REASON WHY IT ISNT BURNT BEYOND REPAIR. 

ill put pics up when i get time, at the moment i get to work on it 1 solid day a week and then a few nights if im at home. 

Always good advice. I try to keep a bunch of extinguishers around since my jeep caught on fire and I didn't have one, thankfully my friend had one and saved my junk.

Reminds me I should check the charges and maybe pick up a couple more :)

Yay pics!

• Like 1

So many people don't take engine bay fires seriously until they actually get one themselves, very lucky that you had an extinguisher on hand, I've seen my share of fires destroy peoples pride and joys, and usually the issue can come back to something very simple, in your case, possibly having put the motor in and out numerous times over the last year due to the rebuilds, you just become lapse in one area and forgot to do something as it is so routine at that stage, I myself am guilty as charged having left an oil cooler line only hand tight, luckily my Vipec V88 had a low oil pressure cutoff safety switch and it didnt go up in flames.

I'm not having a go at you, but I can guarantee, now you will be double checking a lot of things and thinking about the setup with a different view on things.

Sorry to hear, and I hope a quick and easy repair for your sake.

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

quick update.

car is rewired. It starts.

it won't be at the wedding at all. its got more dramas so its going into sitting for a while again. 

at this stage probably wont touch it for 6 months at least.. ive got to save for a house, and get rid of some debts. 

the most likely plan will be to part the car out and keep the rolling shell. 

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

so this hasnt died yet.. 

With the input from my amazing girlfriend, she has been pushing for me to keep it the way it is, and to get it running with only a small amount of boost. 

The turbo is at the reconditioners, getting a new front wheel on it as something ended up going through it. 

the engine is coming out of the car this week to be re-timed and everything checked again so it can be re-tuned hopefully by my birthday at the end of january. 

• Like 4
  • 2 months later...

hi all

bit of an update -

i got my turbo back last night at my 30th birthday bash..

they put on a new compressor wheel, a new turbine housing and balanced everything up to spec.

In other news the magazine dropped with the 620 on the cover!!!

16143769_1396123540418543_36519955273517

once i get approval to post the article up ill get it on here.

Last night my buddy matt ( the bearded guy - he has a L28 260z ) Decided i was a celebrity and wanted my signature on the article :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

16409357_10154889551638376_604307988_o_z

16389371_10154889551608376_67364160_o_zp

16409025_10154889551568376_1267450500_o_

More coming - hopefully get it together this week and then a retune with 20psi to get it driving and have some fun.

• Like 2
  • 3 months later...

i'm still around, the car is running albeit in a reduced state due to needing a check-up on the tune. 

The plan at this stage is to get the E85 tune done, and then a pump fuel 98 octane tune done shortly after. 

hopefully soon i should get that checked up and then be ready to drive it everywhere.

• Like 4