Greiggy's '78 Aussie 620

• Replies 499
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

nice work there greiggy! bird flipping and all... hey i dont know how the car scene is over there but keep an eye out for a 64 impala convertible. candy green and white interior. one of my buddies in ny just sold it some a guy there. he was actually in ny a few weeks ago to finalize the deal. heck of a cool dude too. sure hes gonna enjoy it. hey u may actually be of some help to me. know any junkyards there who ship to the us? i need some rhd parts..... switching my 520... maybe u can point me in the right direction... keep up the good work man and keep the pics coming.

Looks like a cool project you got going there. If you all like the trucks from down under, check out the new issue of Mini Truckin. It is full of Aussie trucks. I will say they got some cool rides down there.

Hey Grieggy, do you ever see any Caddys (VW rabbit pickups) around. If so drop me a pic. I had one for years and I wrecked it. If I remember right they where still making them down in your neck of the world...:cool:

. hey u may actually be of some help to me. know any junkyards there who ship to the us? i need some rhd parts..... switching my 520... maybe u can point me in the right direction... keep up the good work man and keep the pics coming.

none to my knowledge would ship to the us.

i have only ever seen 3 datsun 520/521 shape datsuns over here. and they are mint examples owned by old men who would never sell them

• 3 weeks later...

bit of an update :

we are going to be removing the front end off the late model 620 to put on the earlier model one we have hacked up already.

DSCF1873.jpg

DSCF1872.jpg

DSCF1849.jpg

at this rate it looks like another 6 - 8 months off... i wont be able to afford to finish everything properly... i want done to a highly acceptable standard/show worthy and look perfect under the bonnet.

the fellow who is doing all of my computer wiring and pipe work and that has reccomended a garret GT2871r (.64 exhaust housing) for it, so we are going that route along with a haltech engine managment system.

Tell me more about your brakes. Are they just off the shelf DBA rotors? What about the pads? I'm thinking of upgrading the brakes on my 720.

As for 520/521s, saw one the other day here in Canberra. Was parked next to a 620 at a grog shop. Both were abit tired and had flat beds, not as good as mine though.

Tell me more about your brakes. Are they just off the shelf DBA rotors? What about the pads? I'm thinking of upgrading the brakes on my 720.

As for 520/521s, saw one the other day here in Canberra. Was parked next to a 620 at a grog shop. Both were abit tired and had flat beds, not as good as mine though.

i have a good friend who works at coventry auto parts, and he had them listed in his product catalogue. they had to be custom slotted though as they normally dont do em. took a few days but was easy as . if you want the part number i can get it easy as.

funny speaking of 520/521's... i seen one on the highway the other week in brisvegas and it was clean as.

]2eDeYe : ill take some pics to explain that one to you...

basically because we had 3 different variants of 620 over here

1. 1972 - 7th month 1977 : had kingpin front end and had a very odd engine mounting arrangement for the J13. also had the little back vent behind the door on 'B pillar'

2. 7/1977 -7/1977. Still kingpin front end, changed the engine mount arrangement to where mine currently is now, and also deleted the factory vent on 'b pillar'

3. 8/1977 - 1979 . changed to ball joint front end, though still drums.

in these changes the whole inner wheel tubs were modified, or designed to suit each combination by the look of it. because my cab is a 3/1977, it has the old style kingpin suspension inner arches.

hard to explain but itll make sence with a few pics!!

This thing is sick, I went through your thread on ozdat. I don't know of anyone else doing a 620 in oz. Seen a longbed 720 with a SR in it, but no 620's with decent mods.

No doubt you've checked out http://www.downundertruckin.com for some ideas.

I'll be flying into bris vegas tomorrow, so if you see my 180b getting around (brother towed it up), make sure you yell out.

• 3 weeks later...

finally got some motivation and cut the front off the '77 cab last night/this morning.

also removed the swaybar and top control arm in prep for it to go to the sand blaster/powder coater guy hopefully in December/January.

looks good at this stage. i think its quite exciting to have got this far into it. the light at the end of the tunnel is getting closer finally. if only my Wallet Could Keep Up with my Mind!!

DSCF1882.jpg

DSCF1881.jpg

DSCF1880.jpg

more when i get around to taking some pics. Hopefully ill have the whole brake line setup out this afternoon.

• 3 weeks later...

I haven't been following this thread, but the brake stuff just got me interested :)

The UCA mounts are the same as the US disc trucks. I guess the question is what bearings do they use in the drum? That should tell us if the spindles are the same as the drum or disc hubs.