Greiggy's '78 Aussie 620

He was a single diesel fitter in Mackay, no other expenses but his car (and wakeboat) so cost wasn't an issue, reliability was.

He sourced most of the parts required from mazworx, like the solenoid relocator blocks, inlet and exhaust manifold flanges, as for what cams/valves/springs, i'd have to ask him, it was all stock initially, but later on when he upgraded, i'm pretty sure a lot of it was from Tomei, I was running tomei Procams in my RB26, with supertech valves and springs, and our tuner suggested the same gear from a quality/strength view on things.

He already had the built bottom end, and the pistons he had were already of a forged low comp design, I don't know if he had to cut reliefs when he went to the larger cams and valves, but stock we were ok.

My suggestion would be if you were considering that path, buy one that is already done, plenty of custom work with regards to the manifolds, keep an eye out for some S15 boy that's given up on his project, you see it regularly enough. would save you so much hassle if its been done correctly.

• Like 3
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 499
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Update :

should hopefully have the head back from the machinist this week,

i need to have it in and running by next sunday, as a group of mates have organised a Charity Car cruise for a friend who had his leg amputated due to medical complications. 

i need some real boost in my life.. my turbo diesel tow car isnt cutting it anymore...  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:

• Like 2

Bit of an Update : 

Updating to a set of dual valve springs, the machinist has said the springs that were previously installed had half of the required spring pressure.. 

Hopefully have it back this afternoon, and have it running one night this week.

• Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

You must have a disliking towards the SR20 by now, I had similar problems with the RB26 when I had one in my R34 GTT, blew two up due to machining stuff ups (and running 450rwkws), then ran a standard one that only lasted 3 months on 300kws as it was worn before I got it, while that was in the car I built a fully forged one myself, never had a drama with it making 400rwkws, then sold it, and to this day 1 year later its still going strong in the hands of a younger kid (25) who isn't kind to it.

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

update..

It is getting parted out. Ill be keeping the rolling chassis for the moment and selling all the go fast stuff off.

Im over it breaking all the time, and having problems, and not being able to enjoy it.

Unfortunately its a part of life i guess and my priorities have now changed.

i'll be coming back to it in the future, however it will have a common rail turbo diesel motor in it.

Cheers all

• Like 2

Greiggy I hate to hear this but as long as you are OK with it I understand.  Seeing what you have done with this truck over the years is inspirational.  You sir have persevered when others would have quit.  You took this little truck from a rusty piece of scrap and transformed it into a beautiful work of art.  I am really happy that you will take it to another level and create a dependable driver with a diesel engine.

I can not wait to see the next generation of this build. 

I think that your decision is a great decision.

Cheers mate!

• Like 1

Great build thread just read it all. You have the patience of a saint with the motor problems! Bet it was an absolute beast. You think your suspension setup could handle it okay? Also do you reckon you could squeeze a cage in the cab and still fit okay?

• Like 1

thanks for the support everyone. 

@charlie69 - Thanks for your words throughout the whole build. - sometimes id want to burn the thing,but get on here and read your comments. Its the simple things that can keep people motivated. 

@frank88 - there would be room for a cage, however im not a thin guy and it is pretty tight at the moment.  The suspension was always a bit float-ish ... but this could be more the tyre than the suspension. 

@redeye - At the moment i want to put a nissan motor in it (i hate cross-breeding in cars) so it will probably be a 2.5L turbo diesel with and Auto.  The Engine Code is YD25. Ive still got to do alot of research on this so nothing is guaranteed. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

so the car has been comissioned for one of my good mates wedding in october... Ive got 6 weeks to get it back together, running and up to spec for his wedding. 

Got a fair bit to do... basically reassemble everything in the engine bay, all the motor auxilaries etc... so we will see how it goes.

i'll keep everyone updated with some oics as i go. B)  :thumbup:  :crying:  :crying:  :crying:  :crying:  

• Like 3