Greiggy's '78 Aussie 620

thanks for the replies gents

this week after work is :

check over of the solid lifter clearances now its had a run.

get under it and check every nut and bolt, its been pulled apart now and i dont want to risk anything falling off / breaking.

I've installed the new pads (project mu NS400 Street Pads for the moment) and put all new fluid through ( castrol React racing SRF.. my brother works at the bottling refinery and DC where this is... i'll let you put 2 and 2 together ;) )

Cleaned all the fuel filters in the car ( its got 1 pre lift pump, 2 pre fuel pump and 1 post pump. ) they were filthy as fck ... if you havent done a fuel filter change in a while, DO IT NAAOOOWWW!!!

still waiting on my thermofan for the oil cooler... fck ebay's international shipping program... its been nearly a month now.

Hope to bed the brakes in tomorrow just got to get some E85 from the fuel station and bring it home... the closest servo ( fuel station) is 30km from home that carries the good fuel lol

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 499
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

haha no selfie with it so far.. but i am in one of the pics above ! turned around at the right moment when dave took his shot.

im pretty lucky, it just squats and peels the tyres... i can see the clutch being the weak point though... once its dead ill put a twin plate or something else in.

thanks everyone.. its been a bit journey, and actually a fair way to go yet.  time to get all the small stuff fixed up and ready to go.

hopefully get these few odds and ends fixed up, and then it can have its photos taken for a magazine, he has been hounding me for ages.

• Like 3

so a little update, motor has done approx 130km so far.

needs the following done :

tune needs to be cleaned up, it stutters and carries on under 2000rpm, plus hesitation when under boost under certain conditions.

Rear main seal is leaking, hoping to tackle this with the motor in the car.

Oil Drain needs replacing/modfying as it rests on the wastegate section of my maniflold, and has gone brittle.

Long term :

Rack and pinion conversion - the steering box play in unbelievable ( its been rebuilt and checked multiple times since, been told it is what it is)

disk brakes on the rear ( its damn scary stopping from high speed )

New wastegate

New Dump pipe

Full 3.5"exhaust ( its 3.5" dump into 3" at the moment)

• Like 3

haha no selfie with it so far.. but i am in one of the pics above ! turned around at the right moment when dave took his shot.

im pretty lucky, it just squats and peels the tyres... i can see the clutch being the weak point though... once its dead ill put a twin plate or something else in.

thanks everyone.. its been a bit journey, and actually a fair way to go yet.  time to get all the small stuff fixed up and ready to go.

hopefully get these few odds and ends fixed up, and then it can have its photos taken for a magazine, he has been hounding me for ages.

Please post a link to the magazine or the pics, this thing is super photogenic. :cool: 

so a little update, motor has done approx 130km so far.

needs the following done :

tune needs to be cleaned up, it stutters and carries on under 2000rpm, plus hesitation when under boost under certain conditions.

Rear main seal is leaking, hoping to tackle this with the motor in the car.

Oil Drain needs replacing/modfying as it rests on the wastegate section of my maniflold, and has gone brittle.

Long term :

Rack and pinion conversion - the steering box play in unbelievable ( its been rebuilt and checked multiple times since, been told it is what it is)

disk brakes on the rear ( its damn scary stopping from high speed )

New wastegate

New Dump pipe

Full 3.5"exhaust ( its 3.5" dump into 3" at the moment)

Just as an FYI, I just pulled the trans to do the rear main in my red truck. Due to the larger clutch used on the KA, the motor had to be unbolted from the motor mounts and lowered to allow the bell housing to clear the clutch and the floor. If I had known ahead of time I would have lowered the motor first and had it on a hoist to start with.

I don't remember if you modified your firewall, if you did you may not have this issue. 

• Like 2

thanks for the heads up redeye, i think your right.. 

the firewall hasnt been modified , only the trans tunnel.

Its not a big drama to take the motor out, just a bit annoying. she'll be right.

once the magazine shoots it and i get more info ill post it up. 

thanks for the comments guys !!

• Like 3

Broke 2 more Rocker arms

inlet + exhaust on cylinder #4 .

praying it hasn't bent any valves ....

caused by a misfire under boost, driving down the street... barely any boost or throttle... its very puzzling it does my head in.

I think its time to see a new tuner/workshop... but its hard because I'm a loyal guy who gives everyone plenty of chances.

:(

I'll inspect it, fix it, and do the rear main seal while the engine is out.

#racecarlife

• Like 3

Every time I've had it tuned, Ive asked for it to be safe and reliable. that's my first and only rule. then the tuner takes it to what he defines as safe and reliable..

I think I know what has caused the failure, but wont know until I pull it down for inspection later on this week.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

update :

Had to pull the bottom sump plate off the motor to get the two lost rocker arm shims out.

Took rear main seal off at same time to inspect.

There is a gouge on the crank where the rear main seal runs on, its deep ( enough to catch your fingernail on).

Unsure how to fix this, my brother said it would have to be spray welded/machined or to use a speedy sleeve. Either way it looks like it will have to be disassembled. 

Ive got to talk to the guy who built it, theres also some stuff in the top end that doesnt make sense as to why it was done in that way.

Getting a feeling ive been taken for a ride again..

Either way the car is going into storage for a while, ive got to get a few things away from cars cleared up and then hopefully come back to it later.

• Like 3
  • 4 weeks later...

bit of an update.

The head has 2 bent exhaust valves in cylinder #4 .

They are saying it was caused by an over-rev . Which is odd considering i asked for over rev protection to be setup in the ECU .

so not sure what to do at the moment, something will get sorted soon enough. Just got to wait for the part shop to open to see if i can buy valves individually.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

new valves, new solid lifters, and new shims have arrived. 

going to get a new set of rocker arms heat treated/cryo treated ( have to look into this more though) and see if they withstand the abuse. 

the bottom end should be getting the score mark fixed up this week, then head work next. 

• Like 2

VE head eliminates all those issues, also eliminates a positive reading in your bank account too.

I helped a mate in Mackay build up a 2.2 stroker setup which made awesome power with a GT3037, but the head was always an issue, breaking rockers, limiting power, laggy, so we fitted a VE head, and all the gear from Mazworx to make it work, plus a custom inlet and went to a bigger exhaust housing as well, from 0.63 to 0.86(?) and it still made boost earlier, and had another 1500rpm to play with as well, as well as another 50kw, up to 375rwkws.

• Like 3

VE head eliminates all those issues, also eliminates a positive reading in your bank account too.

I helped a mate in Mackay build up a 2.2 stroker setup which made awesome power with a GT3037, but the head was always an issue, breaking rockers, limiting power, laggy, so we fitted a VE head, and all the gear from Mazworx to make it work, plus a custom inlet and went to a bigger exhaust housing as well, from 0.63 to 0.86(?) and it still made boost earlier, and had another 1500rpm to play with as well, as well as another 50kw, up to 375rwkws.

honestly, this was my plan in the long run to go to VE, take some boost out of it and make it a responsie snappy little engine combo.

I will most likely get the new valves put in, and then work out what i am going to do. still very much in two minds still about the work that has to be done etc..

What Cams did he go, any other valve upgrade other then the usual valve spring swap etc? Dished pistons to take big lift cams etc?

If you want to chat off here, send me a PM

• Like 1