1979 b210: L20 engine swap.

Nice work on the swap. Just to be clear it is a Datsun 210 *not* a B-210. That means Nissan chassis B310 (1979-1982 model years)... word has it that the HL510 circa 1980 510 crossmember is a direct swap into the B310 (i don't know if it is true or not).

Also, on the subject or "corrections", there is no such car as an HL510. The chassis code for the 79-81 510 is "A10", not "HL510". Nowhere on the car does it say HL510. ;)

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wasn't it a J15 in the early 1500 Roadster?

No, the 1500 roadster had a "G" engine, which is closer in relation to the "R" engine used in the 1600 Roadster. The J15 wasn't put in trucks until the 70s. Common 620 engine outside the US-Canada, and also used as an industrial engine (forklifts mostly).

Also, on the subject or "corrections", there is no such car as an HL510. The chassis code for the 79-81 510 is "A10", not "HL510". Nowhere on the car does it say HL510. ;)

Quite true. The original 510 was a Bluebird. The A10 was a Violet. Not even the same family (the Bluebird continued as the 610 then the 810 and 910, the Violet started with the 710 and ended with the A10 and was replaced by the Stanza line. In fact, A10s were badged as Stanzas in Australia.)

The B210 and B310 are Sunnys.

Why does everyone say HL then?

Well, personally i think it stems from this:

Early 610 = PL610

Late 610 = HL610

The natural order of things would have been to call the late 510 an HL510. But Nissan never did. As stated above, the 610 was a natural progression of design. The early and late 510 were not even the same chassis line.

i once read somewhere that the "H" or "L" or maybe "HL" one of those only america gets or something.. it stands for like left hand drive or something.. it said that over in japan it is just "L510" or "H510" i dont know exactly i wish i could remember where i read that.. OH i think it was on wikipedia

In Japan a 1600 Bluebird was a P510. "L" Stands for "Left Hand Drive", no L means Right Hand Drive. 1300 bluebirds were simply "510", no letters at all.

The "H" in the HLA10 is the engine code, for the L20B. In L series terms, "P" is for L16 anf L18, H is for L20B.

More up dates!! More pictures!! I may soon get an '80 210 and for sure I want to put my L20b in it. It's an automatic so if I want to run a 5 spd I have to install a clutch pedal. I have a brake and clutch pedal assy from a 620, maybe it will fit. If not I have an L4N71B over drive tranny. I also have an S11 front X-member with Z20 mounts (same position as L just different tilt)

Since the Z20 is basically an L block, and because the Z20 (S-11) has a front sump, why not use the S-11 oil pan and pick up instead of modding the X-member?