1980 200sx build

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

First project was some rust removal. I will do a better paint job over the summer, just wanted to stop it from rusting through.

RustAway7.jpg

The I started chasing down a few cut wires which ended with me pulling most of the interior to get to the locked up heater core valve which faces the firewall. It rusted up ... a little lube and it was golden. Was very happy seeing solid floor pans. Added a poly cheesecloth after blower to keep it cleaner in the future. Might do an in cabin microfilter later.

P1010151.jpg

P1010155.jpg

Amazed the torque box area is not rotted. I need to fix the hinges on the drivers door though.

P1010144.jpg

Went ahead and stripped and painted the dash. Cleaned out the ventilation system and put on new foam. Cheap foam stuff from lowe's, looks same as factory just gray.

P1010146.jpg

P1010148.jpg

P1010154.jpg

P1010153.jpg

Pulled the bumper, lights and fender.

P1010145.jpg

wow-very unique. i like it alot. i always love the oddball datsuns. big plans?

I've been researching the s110 and it's really cool ... lots of neat models,options, possibilities. I'd like to make it manual steering, H190 (82-83 200sx) rear with LSD, gazelle/180sx/silvia bumpers and drop an FJ20 in it. But that will not be happening anytime soon.

if you can get that sound dedener off the floor it soaks up water like a sponge

Yeah i need to get the last of the fluffy stuff off. I may leave the black tar paper. If another cold day hits I may try to chip it off. I am working on resealing the plastic on the door panels and making sure as little water gets in as possible. Right know it seems like the windshield and hatch seals are still holding. I could feel some rust around the fresh air intact on the cowl above the blower. I cleaned the cowl area and drains ... hopefully it'll hold.

Guest jaimesix

Nice build.

I like these 200SX a lot. These Datsuns have a lot of wheel well space for fat wheels/tires w/o sticking out.

Very cool project. 5 stars!!!

Jaime._____________________________________________________

Nice build.

I like these 200SX a lot. These Datsuns have a lot of wheel well space for fat wheels/tires w/o sticking out.

Very cool project. 5 stars!!!

Jaime._____________________________________________________

Yeah lots of room. I'll definitely be spending some time to figure out how much rubber I can shoehorn in there. Thanks

athoose - My neighbor has an '81 200SX coupe with automatic that is going to the crusher when the scrap price gets better. I may be able to scrounge some small parts if you have a list of what you need. The bad news - the car is in similar condition to yours. Left front fender would need some work to be usable; door panels and dash maybe a bit better than yours, but not good; steering wheel has all the plastic rim, but weather checked and stained. Engine and FI components are gone. So there may not be anything at all you can use, but I can check if you think of anything.

This vintage SX shows up in the Spokane U-Pulls now and then, too, although they are usually pretty trashed. I might eventually find a good fender there, but I have no idea what would be involved in packing and shipping.

Len

athoose - My neighbor has an '81 200SX coupe with automatic that is going to the crusher when the scrap price gets better. I may be able to scrounge some small parts if you have a list of what you need. The bad news - the car is in similar condition to yours. Left front fender would need some work to be usable; door panels and dash maybe a bit better than yours, but not good; steering wheel has all the plastic rim, but weather checked and stained. Engine and FI components are gone. So there may not be anything at all you can use, but I can check if you think of anything.

This vintage SX shows up in the Spokane U-Pulls now and then, too, although they are usually pretty trashed. I might eventually find a good fender there, but I have no idea what would be involved in packing and shipping.

Len

Yeah man I need a few things. Thanks.

Headlamp finishers, the things that surround the headlamps, with the parking lamps and the plastic clips that hold them to the radiator support.

Chrome on the fender tops near the windshield. These slide off.

A stainless steel piece on the front bumper, it's on the drivers side and raps around. You could just pry this off if you can't get the bolts loose. The bolts on the back are probably rusted solid.

Plastic hood scoops.

The plastic clips the sunvisors latch on.

Let me know what you find, thanks.