The beginning of the Datsun madness...

It all started last june when I went to look @ a 57 chevy p.u. over here in PortOrchard. The guy was asking 5G's. When I got there I saw a pile of crap truck with every tire flat and every body panel rusted out! I asked the old guy if he had mistakenly put an extra "0" on the end. Anyway I got back into the truck and my dad talked with the ol guy bout being in the Navy back in the day. We left and my dad was saying that he had another car for sale in the garage. Turns out it was a completely stock 71 2-door 510!! Butterscotch with a black vinyl top and column mounted AT. The ol guy wanted $1000 for it and I offerd him $400 because it did not run and the key was stuck in the ignition. He would not budge so we left. The seed was planted

For the next couple of days I could not sleep thinking about that damn car! So I went back and asked him if i could try and get it started. Turns out the gas tank was completely rusted out and the carb was fouled. Wber and a new gas tank took care of that! Drove it around for a while with the tranny not wanting to shift into third very easy. Got all kinds of looks and "nice car dude" every where I went. The seed was starting to grow.

I had started looking online at other 510's and decided I wanted a 5-speed and an L20. So off I went. Thats when I met Frank in Everett. He hooked me up not only with a sweet running L20 with a W53 head and Z 5-speed with shortened driveline and custom crossmember but much valuable advice!

Thank you Frank! So my plan was to put the L20 and 5-speed in the Butterscotch car. I went to the junkyard to get the clutch settup and other assorted items.

O.K. Timeout! this is getting a bit long winded. lets make a long story short!

I did not want to cut up the very clean and stock 71 dime so I went on the look for another 510 manual car. I saw a 73 2-door on dime-quarterly and got it up in everett from Brad. No engine or tranny so it was perfect! I really liked the color to Light yellow. So I needed $ for the priject so I decided to put the Butterscotch 71 on the "list" for sale. Many calls later and a guy named Ray called. He asked why I was selling the car. I told him the story and that I had bought a 73 2-door. "what color?" he asked. I said yellow. Turns out this was Ray Stonehockers old car! So we laughed and he came out and bought the Butterscotch one which he has made into a sweet little ride and I am sure many of you have seen it!

I have recently got my 510 on the road thanks to many people for parts, Frank, Ray, Rick, Nic, Brad, Nissan dealer (lol) and many others. A lot of advice: Frank, Ray (finally limited me to 1 Q per week) Hainz, and others.

Body work was done by my longtime friend Tom Davenport who taught me never to rush your body man (six months later lol) and more help from my nephew Scott and Gary Brooks who is the resident Datsun/mazda rotory guru on this side of the pond. You all may have seen my dime @ Rays BBQ. it was the one with the owner lying underneath of it with Ray and Hainz guiding me on timing it with the oil-pump out. They got me dialed in and it is still running smooth today! Thanks Everyone!

It does not end there! I have been thru a couple of 620's and a 521 and just bought a 76 K.C. 620 that is my current project. I cant get enuff of these damn things! I am a sick man!

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome to the forum, Your datsuns look clean! It took me over 20 years to get my first 620 now i got 2. Since i've got these trucks my 62 chevy pu dont get out much! my wife says i'm crazy i just tell her "If loving my datsun is wrong,I dont wanna be right!"LOL!!! Anyways, welcome to the forum!.

• 2 weeks later...
my wife says i'm crazy i just tell her "If loving my datsun is wrong,I dont wanna be right!"LOL!!! Anyways, welcome to the forum!.

AHMEN!

Thanks Man! I kinda want to have the Ratsun look with the 620. But I have a tendency of fixing every little thing!

yea sometimes i want mine to be insanely perfect.. other times im satisfied with the ratsun look

nice story :)

i didn't think that being a ratsun required that stuff not work or be broken... i always thought it was more about doing it yourself instead of paying somebody to do every little thing. maybe that's just my opinion.

I agree, do it yourself if you can. If I had all the money in the world I would still want to be involved. I'd have more parts, equipment and learn how to use it.

I've had my truck for at least 11 years and the only time (once) it was ever in a shop was to balance the tires. They were cheap because they had uneven, lumpy tread and I used chalk to mark the high points and a belt sander to grind them down, then they needed a good balancing. All the other tires I had over the years, I took off and put on by hand with a tire iron! Is that Ratsun or what??

They kept me going until last spring when I could afford a new set, installed and balanced. (getting soft in my old age)

:( Do I not qualify for ratsun since I use a mechanic? I don't have much experience in anything mechanical or body work and really anything to do with vehicles. I also lack the facilities to do the work in or else my truck would be in a billion pieces waiting for the "next stage". If I had the space and knew what I was doing my story would be different... However my body still looks like ass but at least I hope to have my engine running like a champ even if I dont do it my self:P

im going to tell you a little something brother................

the first thing i ever did.. on a vehicle.. by myself... with no help other then the haynes book (didnt know about forums)

i put a Head on my 77 620, all gaskets.. radiator.. starter.. master cylinder.. not to mention some wiring.. i was 19, im 21 now an 22 next month.. and i know sooooooooooo much more in general about engines.. yea i've done ALOT of reading but its paid off.. i think if I can doit YOU can doit, buy a 250+ peice tool set.. thats really all you need.. maybe a torque wrench.. i didnt have that many tools at the time.. i had like 120 or so an some borrowed.. its a datsun.. dont be afraid to tear into it.. u can work on the motor where it sits unless people would complain about you then dont but if u have a house and a driveway that works fine.. i had a parking spot in an apartment comlpex an thats where i did all my work.. i guess it helped that the HOT HOT manager lady wanted my nuts.. ok so long story yes i know but i want to encourage you to learn .. its really simple you would be shocked.. anyways good luck to ya!