410/411 disc brake mod

mklotz70

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

Parts cross ref, From rock auto…..correct?

Rotor

INFINITI G20 (1991 - 1996) NISSAN 240SX (1989 - 1998) NISSAN AXXESS 1990 NISSAN SENTRA (2000 - 2006) NISSAN STANZA (1990 - 1992)

Caliper

INFINITI G20 (1991 - 1996) INFINITI I30 (1996 - 1999) NISSAN 240SX (1989 - 1998) NISSAN ALTIMA (1993 - 2001) NISSAN AXXESS (1990 - 1992) NISSAN MAXIMA (1989 - 1999) NISSAN SENTRA (2000 - 2006) NISSAN STANZA (1990 - 1992)

I dropped off the 411 brackets, 710 brackets, 1/8" wheel spacers and truck brackets at TFC Plating this morning. They said it might take about a week. Tons of house work and cleaning for a yard sale this weekend......then I'll get to making the 620 inner bearing adapters.

I heard from the plater today......should be done this week.

I've been talking with Jim at Vintage Speedwerks about the hub/rotor machining situation.  What we've come up with is an idea for a sleeve over two of the studs.  The rotor can get opened up large enough to clear the stock(unmodified hub) and the sleeves will then hold the rotor centered.  Once the wheel and lug nuts are tightened properly, there should not be any rotational movement of the rotor on the hub.  Rust may be an issue.......might have to look into making them out of stainless.  Anyway........  I still need to finalize the prototypes and rotor hole dimension before the final decision is made. 

What this means is that the 411 kit will become available with the sleeves and rotors already opened up.  This will eliminate the need to have the hub machined.  Good news for the few 411 cars out there. :)

• 3 weeks later...

I see how they work now. I still need to find a machinist to open my rotor up though? Everything's harder in Hawaii. I just had my engine rebuilt. Guy took 11 months!!! Might pm you to order the sleeves...

Yep...they can open up the center to 3".  If you have a die grinder and a good bit, you can do it yourself.  If I get a chance, I'll see if I have another rotor I can try it on.

• Like 2
  • 1 year later...

They are.  I have brackets and bearing adapters.  I'll have to double check on the hardware, but that's easy enough to get.  I'll also have to check on the stud sleeves....but I might still have one set.....if not, I can make some more. 

7th item down.....

http://www.bluehandsinc.com/

• Like 2
  • 2 months later...

So i'm not sure if you remember our conversation from awhile ago about my friend (copy-ing yours) and making his own brackets,, and about him telling me if you use SSS hubs you don't need a bearing spacer do-hickey .. 

We were at Tanas the other day and she sold us a few sets of sss hubs ,,, stood them up next to my " yet to still be installed" drum brake hub,, and this is what it looked like.

Clean black one is drum

IMG_3361_zpslo0iknwe.jpg

IMG_3360_zps96erbjy4.jpg

IMG_3359_zpssi0pefhb.jpg

I didn't take a picture of it but if you place a straight edge on top of hubs they seem to be exactly the same height.. The boards i had them placed on for that test weren't NASA certified flat though,  so your finds might be a little different.  And also his and daughters were both SSS cars to start with and haven't had mine apart enough to measure/check if spindle is same,,, he seems to think they aren't different. 

• Like 3

Ah....since the point of the bearing spacer was to get clearance to the tierod end.....if I remember right.....those hubs look like they'd do the trick.  The bracket will need to be a bit different, but easily changed up.  Thanks for the info.  I've got about 4 more sets of 411 brackets left......after that, I'm not sure if I'll make any more of if I'll see about doing an upgrade for the SSS cars.  Too many things on the list all ready. lol

Thanks for the info and pics! I really appreciate it!!

• Like 2

So i'm not sure if you remember our conversation from awhile ago about my friend (copy-ing yours) and making his own brackets,, and about him telling me if you use SSS hubs you don't need a bearing spacer do-hickey .. 

We were at Tanas the other day and she sold us a few sets of sss hubs ,,, stood them up next to my " yet to still be installed" drum brake hub,, and this is what it looked like.

Clean black one is drum

I didn't take a picture of it but if you place a straight edge on top of hubs they seem to be exactly the same height.. The boards i had them placed on for that test weren't NASA certified flat though,  so your finds might be a little different.  And also his and daughters were both SSS cars to start with and haven't had mine apart enough to measure/check if spindle is same,,, he seems to think they aren't different. 

The spindles for the drum and disc 411's are the same if I remember right.  It's just the hubs that are different.  The hubs are the same length because the spindles are the same length.  If you look at the difference, the disc hub face has been moved out the same thickness as the brake drum thickness......so the wheel ends up in the same place.  If you can mount the rotor behind the disc hub and have it in the same position as the g20 rotor is on the drum hub, then my brackets would work on either.  But....If the rotor can be moved out an 1/8", the bearing spacer will not be needed.  If a rotor like the g20 could be found that was 1/8" shorter.....same thing. :)

• Like 1