Trevor's 1973 Datsun 620

TrevDaddy

Hey everyone, 1st post on the forum. I just bought a 1973 Datsun 620 with the L16. As soon as I bought my baby I raced home and started researching for parts that I would need to turn my orange beauty into a purple monster (that's right, I want to paint it purple). I joined Old Datsun Pickup Lovers, but was unsatisfied with the information they provided. Once I found Ratsun, I knew I would have more help.

She runs, but the carb is old and weak and in need of an upgrade. She runs really rich. I am debating replacing it, because I want to save my money for bigger and better things. Besides the carb, most of the instrument panel doesn't work, and the miles are a mystery. The clock stopped at 39,043. The body is pretty good, no serious rust to be found. I will need a new hood, driver side door, right front fender, and hopefully I'll be able to repair the left side rear quarter.

As for my goals with the truck... I want to get the engine to run smoothly for this approaching winter. I also need to fix the instrument panel, and do a brake job. Once I am gifted with warmer weather, I am converting to fuel injection. I apologize for the huge intro and the list of questions, but I want to learn as much as I can before I go tearing the truck apart.

1. Is there a How-To section that I am missing?

2. How do I adjust for richness on the stock hitachi?

3. Anyone ever do an SR20 swap?

4. 5-Lug conversion?

5. Front disc conversion?

6. Where to buy windsheild?

I have many more questions, but that is why I created a thread. Here are the pictures:

IMG_0610.jpg?t=1255656577

IMG_0605.jpg?t=1255656609

IMG_0613-1.jpg?t=1255656633

Thanks to all who are willing to help a novice Datsun owner.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, it needs a few body parts but it's in damn good shape for 36 years old. I'm going to replace the master cyl. tomorrow and I'll take some more pictures then.

The bumper is weird. It's definitely not stock, I'll get a new one if I find it for the right price...

Welcome fellow 73 620 owner! :D

I wish I had that good of a truck to start with. like they said ,lower it and put the right front bumper on it (what is that anyway?) and call it good. No purple,puhleeze. :eek: Changing the color on these is a bitch. Come in and look around.

1st off welcome to Ratsun the best Datsun forum on earth 2nd off holy shnikeys that truck is bad ass . But the bumper is garbage you need a stocker on there . And as for the paint I am thinking that it is a 1970s custom paint job , I honestly am not the kind of guy that says what you need to do lol . But in this case I have to say DON'T TOUCH THE PAINT that paint job is awesome . All around great looking truck and once again welcome to Ratsun

Maybe I said the wrong thing with purple. Painting the truck is not on my need-to-do list yet. I know the stock paint code, so maybe I'll just give her a respray.

Anyone know if there is info on how to make the carb run less rich?

No way Trevor you said nothing wrong , its just that your truck is like the golden egg . There are not that many golden eggs like that left , that paint job is what makes it the golden egg . Me personally and every body else would not touch that paint job . But it is your truck and you are entitled to do as you please with it . It is a very beautiful 620

http://web.archive.org/web/20040408132254/www.autopartsland.com/ProductDetails.cfm?product_id=11072&model_id=285&make_id=27

This is a replacement bumper that I might buy. The thing is I don't know if it is chromed already or if it curves around the fenders... The picture is kinda misleading. The company also sells bumperettes, but I don't know if those are necessary.

http://web.archive.org/web/20040408132254/www.autopartsland.com/ProductDetails.cfm?product_id=11072&model_id=285&make_id=27

This is a replacement bumper that I might buy. The thing is I don't know if it is chromed already or if it curves around the fenders... The picture is kinda misleading. The company also sells bumperettes, but I don't know if those are necessary.

Trevor I don't think that bumper will have the bumper corners to wrap around the corners . There are other places that sale a complete bumper and they have good pictures of it . Give me a little bit of time and I will post a link ......