derekg's Content

There have been 16 items by derekg (Search limited from 19-October 16)

Sort by                Order  

#1514522 Need pic of stock steel wheel for '66 411 please

Posted by derekg on 02 September 2017 - 02:56 PM in 410/411

My 411 came with 3 steel wheels that have 3 small prongs on the surface at 120 degrees separation and 2 steel wheels that just have the raised area with 4 humps. Both types can be seen in my gallery here: http://datsun510.com...772-1966-pl411/. Does anyone have an image of the stock wheels so I know if I need 2 or 3 replacements?

Thanks, Derek  

#1509605 Argh. Need a single 411 used front brake shoe....

Posted by derekg on 12 August 2017 - 07:39 AM in General Discussion

Yep, you guys are right. Was just trying to get it movable, not really drivable. Will bite the bullet and go new. Thx.

#1509530 Argh. Need a single 411 used front brake shoe....

Posted by derekg on 11 August 2017 - 05:55 PM in General Discussion

Pulled my drums to rebuild the front wheel cylinders since they were frozen. One shoe became delaminated, but all the others are just fine. I really don't want to buy new brakes for a single shoe. Anybody have a spare used one they would sell or donate?

Thanks, Derek

#1505580 Need help identifying Datsun diff.

Posted by derekg on 24 July 2017 - 07:43 PM in General Discussion

Thanks all. I asked him for housing details, spline count, and axle length and am waiting for answers.

#1505465 Need help identifying Datsun diff.

Posted by derekg on 24 July 2017 - 01:15 PM in General Discussion

Angry Lance sent me this pic. I have no idea from which model it hails. Any ideas?

large.20170724_072352.jpg.01c0552f069791

#1503713 1966 411 Tire Options

Posted by derekg on 16 July 2017 - 06:04 PM in 410/411

Doh, location added. Thanks for the information. Am sure the shocks are wasted, so will add those to the list.

#1503640 1966 411 Tire Options

Posted by derekg on 16 July 2017 - 12:04 PM in 410/411

Hi Folks,

I just picked up a stock 411 and it needs new tires. From what I read the stock size converted is 165/80R-13. First question is whether 175 will fit those rims and not rub the fender. Second question is what tire is decent in that size? Everything I see says "trailer tire" and provides no specs. If they are all the same general garbage will just go on price.

Thanks, Derek

#1502869 datsun510.com free photo hosting (re: Photobucket)

Posted by derekg on 12 July 2017 - 05:06 PM in General Discussion

Edekalil, I just responded to your form submit, but looks like you are all set. Quick instructions for posting are here:

"You sign up for an account, log in, then you can just choose the "+Create" pull down on the upper right and choose "Gallery Image" from the drop down. It will then ask which gallery. "Members Albums Category" will allow you to upload to an existing gallery or create a new one. From there you just use the uploader, add descriptions and such, and you are set."

Let me know if this does not work easily for you.

Thanks, Derek

#1502609 datsun510.com free photo hosting (re: Photobucket)

Posted by derekg on 11 July 2017 - 03:18 PM in General Discussion

This is actually the exact same software (InvisionPower) that Ratsun uses. Only I have not activated the forum, calendar, or classifieds modules since that is covered here (and elsewhere). There is the Gallery, Downloads, Video, and User Map activated so it does not compete with any other Datsun forum. It's pretty easy. You sign up for an account, log in, then you can just choose the "+Create" pull down on the upper right and choose "Gallery Image" from the drop down. It will then ask which gallery. "Members Albums Category" will allow you to upload to an existing gallery or create a new one. From there you just use the uploader, add descriptions and such, and you are set.

I do not like the interface as much as Photopost, but it works fine. If we move to custom templates I'll play with some changes, but for now, it is stable and working, which means I really don't want to touch it other than backups and security patches. There's already over 30,000 images on it - mostly of 510s or other Datsuns - and many users hotlink from it.

Without sharing user databases I cannot make a single sign-on between Ratsun and Datsun510.com, but maybe someone from Ratsun will want to discuss that in the future.

#1502435 datsun510.com free photo hosting (re: Photobucket)

Posted by derekg on 10 July 2017 - 10:48 PM in General Discussion

Any and all. Pretty much any image or video format will work. It's using GD2 for image processing which supports all major MIME types. It will support video as well.

#1502341 datsun510.com free photo hosting (re: Photobucket)

Posted by derekg on 10 July 2017 - 05:11 PM in General Discussion

Hi Folks,

Just saw the extortion messages regarding Photobucket. Not trying to plug datsun510.com, but wanted to throw out to the group that it has unlimited photo hosting indefinitely for free for any Datsun car (or your tools, etc.). The only thing I would ask if anyone wants to use it is to keep the posts safe-for-work, which basically makes it good for Datsuns and tools only :)

It does not have the photo manipulation tools available on some of the photo processing sites, but then again, I'll own the domain, the servers, the colocation space, and the network for another 50 years (hopefully).

The only issues we have had in the past were from a massive change over in software that took too long to get back up.

Thanks, Derek

#1484338 Datslocos Cali Mariposa Fun Run Sun April 30th

Posted by derekg on 30 April 2017 - 01:49 PM in Events

Well, I got 4 miles with you all before the breakdown :) Turned out the pin on top of the trans that holds the plunger mechanism (not the shift rod) lost it's E-clip and rattled out. Was able to get it into 2nd and limp it to a friends house, then towed it home. 10 minutes in the home shop to diagnose and put in a new pin and all works fine. At least it didn't happen up in the hills. BTW, thank you for coming back for me at the start- I appreciate it. Will see you all at Canby or the next run (now that my car has gears again).

Derek

#1482965 Safari 5000 Movie @ datsun510.com

Posted by derekg on 25 April 2017 - 09:56 PM in General Discussion

Hi Folks,

I've added a video module to datsun510.com with educational and automotive videos. Of note, the 1969 movie "Eiko e no 5,000 kiro" (Safari 5000) which is a Nissan collaboration from 1969 showing a 510 in the 17th East African Safari Rally.

So what is so important about this movie? It hasn't been shown in theaters since it was released in 1969. Michael Spreadbury told me about it many, many years ago and over those years I have been in contact with the studio, the producers, Nissan, and even the actor's production company and family looking for this film. Every single one of them said it was not in their archives. The various movie archives in Japan didn't have record of the movie beyond basic production information. Friends in Japan were even doing legwork to no avail. Last year a Blu-Ray box set was released of actor Yûjirô Ishihara and it included this movie. After getting it shipped from Japan and transcoding it, subtitles ripped and added and now it is ready for your viewing pleasure. While there is racing throughout, the East African Safari Rally starts around 1hour43minutes. The pace and cinematography is reminiscent of Steve McQueen's Le Mans.

Enjoy this absolute lost gem of Datsun 510 awesomeness.

Derek

#1469703 More manuals posted at datsun510.com

Posted by derekg on 10 March 2017 - 08:57 AM in General Discussion

Forgot to mention (and probably goes without saying), but feel free to share or repost or upload to other sites as you want. If adding to your own site, a nod to datsun510.com would be nice, but also would ensure your own users can get anything posted new. I did ask that Russian site how they got all my manuals. The guy said through torrents, so I guess they are already being distributed :)

#1469251 More manuals posted at datsun510.com

Posted by derekg on 08 March 2017 - 05:31 PM in General Discussion

Hi Folks,

Been a while since I last posted. I've just finished uploading another ~40 manuals at datsun510.com. All manuals are free, not watermarked, and not ripped from other sites. There are still a number missing, so if you would like to donate a missing manual or a few bucks for buying more, drop me a note or paypal to derek - at - datsun510 - dot - com. Whether we raise more money or not, the manuals will continue to be free and I'll continue to upload more as funds permit.

Thanks, Derek

#1460538 Manuals... I just got a motherload of Datsun books....

Posted by derekg on 09 February 2017 - 08:16 PM in General Discussion

Howdy, datsun510.com is back up with the manuals now in a download section. I'll be adding more shortly. The main link that was datsun510.com/manuals no longer works. Also, that cardiagn.com link appears just to be a mirror of the manuals I uploaded to datsun510.com. At any rate, you can download again. The site is now stable and moved from the old software.

Happy downloading, Derek