All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Past hour
  2. I bought a 72 510 originally from Mexico with a J1500, j15. The previous owner removed all of the wiring in attempt to upgrade the wiring harness. He never got around to wiring it back up. 😕 The engine turns over. I have a spark plug tester and I don't see any spark. Does anyone have a wiring diagram for the j15 ignition setup? Thanks!
  3. You don't have to be rich anymore. They are going cheap. https://www.cbsnews.com/boston/news/coastal-erosion-beachfront-property-prices-massachusetts/
  4. Today
  5. I'd be a lot more convinced on climate change if all the rich people weren't buying beachfront houses.
  6. well in that case i would probably have to guess something got sucked in through the intake and: and again the engine makes almost no abnormal noises (other than mild lifter noise) now and only really puffs blue smoke when im in higher revs and im not trying to seem ignorant by not removing the pan, its because withe the way this car is designed, i would have to completely pull the entire crossmember and roll bar from underneath the car or pull the engine to remove the oil pan, and i just dont have that kind of time at the moment and i would totally pull the head off again and do a reevaluation of the pistons and cylinders under better lighting and take better pictures but again time is an issue when i took the head off last time it was near midnight i was in a sleepy haze and couldnt think totally straight and so i ended up with terrible pictures off a half decent camera i had lying around and didnt think to grab my phone or a good light which is entirely my fault but besides the point.
  7. Thanks for the quick reply! Yep, there's 1/16" of play in the pedal. Looks like I'm going to start my hydraulics replacement process with the master. Thanks for confirming!
  8. Pulled the radiator out of my VG wagon project It's a "little" bigger than the Champion 510 radiator The fit required some modification to the intake piping and the lower radiator hose is not a "gimme" Garmin lap coach mounted! I can hear it now. "Go that way - really fast! And when something gets in your way - Turn!" (name the movie) The to do list is getting shorter. I'll let Jeff and Paul tell you about recovering from the failed rear wheel bearing.
  9. Okay, April 19th is coming up fast! We need to switch gears and get back to the Swamp Thing! Time to get the Gobstopper out of the garage for a minute... https://datsun510.com/uploads/monthly_2024_04/Video.MOV.a76431134adb4eba6595651c49d04363.MOV Almost low enough for Jeff Return Of The Swamp Thing We have a long list to look over. I need to remember to buy some spare plugs. Let's double check our stub axles shall we? We could really do without another one of those failures.
  10. The last of the Starbursts... Come on engine! Time to fire up!!! Jeff found a local guy with a matching ECU, Key, and Key detector. That is the necessary trifecta for starting one of these things apparently. https://datsun510.com/uploads/monthly_2024_04/03272024swampthing(2).MOV.7949ae2ccad587ccb6428e5c67e3db0c.MOV Well, closer... Time to go through the wiring again one more time. Found a couple errors. Let's try again. https://datsun510.com/uploads/monthly_2024_04/03272024swampthing(4).MOV.5eea7d275f64a80ad6c304f09187e858.MOV Yes!!! Ladies and gentlemen, we have Knoise! (I'm convinced it was the Starbursts!)
  11. Jeff was kind enough to mount my new tires for Slowpoke. With Easter so close - I had to see what they would look like on the Gobstopper!
  12. We finally think we got all the required things hooked up to start the engine! The first thing we find out? Bad starter. https://datsun510.com/uploads/monthly_2024_04/03202024swampthing(3).MOV.f8103526957c0e1ec844be2388fb8157.MOV Or so we thought. Turns out it was the battery! In the process, we found one of the starters purchased from pick-n-pull had the electrical connection glued on!!! What kind of a joke shop does that to a customer? Let's try another battery then... https://datsun510.com/uploads/monthly_2024_04/03202024swampthing(5).MOV.d85e682366795ddd8c06a5a63f83803d.MOV Still no fireworks though... : ( Lots of things we are unsure of at the moment so next week we'll go down the list.
  13. 225's came back in stock so I picked up a set. Very handy to have fresh tires if it rains. Since I got them, that will guarantee a dry race right?!
  14. You have about 2mm or 1/16" of brake pedal play??? just push on it with your thumb, it should move that much before there is firm resistance. A small amount of 'wiggle'. Only way to really trouble shoot this, is to do while the pedal is stuck. That seems unlikely. Sounds like the master.
  15. I thought the flex line went from the frame to the rear diff? I know my truck has a breather on the rear diff that goes to the bottom of the bed which would probably need extended.
  16. Hi everyone, I restored my 510 about a year ago and everything is wonderful, except the brake pedal will occasionally get stuck down and I need to pull it up with my foot to get the brakes to release. When I restored the car, everything got replaced, including the master cylinder, wheel cylinders, brake lines, etc. The front brakes are early Porsche 911 calipers (Design Products kit) and rears are drums with 240z aluminum drums. It gets stuck about once or twice on any particular outing. I've gotten pretty quick at pulling it back up with my foot, but it's definitely concerning since it has happened on spirited canyon drives with other cars following closely. I assume the rears are sticking based on how the car slows down when the pedal is stuck, but I haven't actually been able to get it to stick while in the garage where I can get it up in the air. I've confirmed that the spring on the brake pedal is in place, everything is tight, and that the brake pedal isn't binding. I've confirmed that the brake shoes are orientated correctly, and that all the clips and springs are in place. I confirmed that the brake shoes move freely, nothing is binding and the backing plate is lubed in all the correct spots, etc etc etc. Unless anyone has any new things to check, I'm thinking I'm just going to start replacing hydraulics (brake master and then the wheel cylinders) and hope for the best. I'd greatly appreciate any advice, thanks very much! Robert
  17. … continued. Then came an annoying set back. Last thing I did was try and mount up the front calipers… and they didn’t fit… Grabbed one of the old rotors quick and well shit…. A quick Google and my suspicions seem correct Rock auto sent me 280z rotors. Which are 1.7” in height where as 240z are 2” in height. A quick run back to RockAuto and they do have the rotors I ordered under the ‘73 240z - although there is a note that says from 8/73 (which shouldn’t matter… since Datsun didn’t change the struts till the late 260 into 280z) - but they do have them listed as 1.7” tall. Also my car is. 8/73 car so it’s wrong on their site either way. I ordered up the proper replacements which should be here Wednesday hopefully… just annoyed I need to pull the hubs off again. Also annoyed as I’ll need to call and complain since I’m past the 30 day return window…
  18. The narrative depends on who win in Nov. Record profits for big oil, and big solar corporations though.
  19. Got some more time out there again today. Got the rears torqued past the 159ft lbs my torque wrench goes to and called that close enough to the 180ft lbs called for and peened the nuts. Axles spin smoothly and I don’t feel any play. Then got the fronts installed. I used MSAs short bumpsteer spacer (3/4” instead of 1”)- and glad I did! Plenty of clearance- although I do wish T3 had sent the button heads instead of socket caps. Then i attempted the rears- but unfortunately the spindle pin was binding on the drivers side. Ordered a 5/8” hone to hopefully clean up the strut and solve that issue. If that doesnt work I’ll try a 5/8 bolt from fastenal- some people have mentioned since its a hair smaller it is easier. Luckily right as I gave up on that the Amazon guy dropped off my fuel fittings so I refocused on the fuel pump. It is now mounted, plumbed, and wires. Oddly I did the return soft line as well and it is 1/4 hard line but 5/16 on the tank… used a 5/16 hose with a double clamp on the hard line. May get some 1/4” inch to stretch it later on …. Also ordered some thicker aluminum to make another plate for protection out of, but this will do for now.
  20. I got one of those from a leaf. Gonna try out my roller bearing idler arm first though.
  21. Yesterday
  22. I have actually read that too… anyway seems to have worked fine. I “sacrificed” one of the spare muteki lugs which has a pretty good extended thread which I’m sure helped (lug still threads on smooth… but not sure I would trust it after it’s improper usage. I’ve got 7 more spare so not worried about it.
  23. But it worked - we haven't had a single nuclear bombing death since.
  24. Oh Jesus..... Tim made his bones over covid. It's all he knows. Lots of places are in population decline including China. The boomers are dying off and they had smaller families, and their kids had smaller and smaller families till here we are. He even says he can't verify this. Collapse way more dramatic than decline.
  25. One for a 510 should work? Post a link to what you bought.... This a Pic from the listing of the one I bought....
  1. Load more activity

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.